• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stomach virus going around at Disney

Any time you are in close proximity to tens of thousands of strangers who come from all over the world you are going to be at risk for exposure to all kinds of potentially nasty bugs. Simple hygiene precautions like proper hand washing, not touching your face (or food) without cleaning your hands first, not licking the handrails, etc, should become second nature ANYTIME, not just when you hear of an outbreak of one kind or another.

So as long as I wash my hands first it's OK if I pick my nose? That's good to know.

Any alcohol-based hand sanitizer will do a good job, as hand sanitizers go, and they're cheaper than Bacardi 151.

Just don't use hand sanitizers based on something other than alcohol, as they just breed resistant germs.

This is very true its a virus and those anti-bacterial ones dont work on it and breed bacteria that antibiotics dont work on.

Our luck ran out after more than 14 trips when two of us got horribly ill in December 2014. It was our third day at Disney so we weren't sure where it came from but I got so weak from problems at 'both ends' so to speak that we called 911. They wanted to take me in for rehydration but I refused and felt better by the next day.

A question - why did you dial 911 if you were not going to follow their advice? I am not trying to be snarky - I truly don't understand

Am I the only one who considers Pepto-Bismol tablets a staple for the toiletries kit? I've never gotten a serious stomach bug, but I will sometimes take a single tablet at the first sign of nausea or the runs.

I just noticed that the original post was right after we got back from our first trip to Disney in January of 2015. We had a great trip with the exception of the whole family taking turns with the stomach virus. Luckily, it didn't last long and only took about a day each out of the trip. We are hoping that it won't be going around on our next trip in September. But, I'm glad I saw this post. It definitely explains a lot..lol

We've used this for years, and after 15+ trips, never had stomach bug at Disney yet. We also use the Clorox professional hydrogen peroxide wipes to santitize our room at check in ( they say right on the label that it kills noro). We try and wash whenever possible, but this works great in between.
We do this too! We have mini clorox spray bottles for the parks. We even immediately spray our identification finger when we enter a park. I use the clorox H2O2 wipes for the room (and airplane!). Love it!

Yes, I know good ole soap and water, plus keeping your hands from your face, etc. is the best way, 'but' sanitizing gels have their place too - soap and water is not always available. May not kill all germs, but around here they are placed in Dr's offices, hospitals, and many stores.

Dh & I faithfully use them when out and about, especially when handling carts at stores, looking at Menus in restaurants (often an over looked germy surface) etc. We get very few 'bugs' including colds.

'All' sanitizers will kill some bugs, beats not using anything! We'll definitely take our chances with it!
I NEVER eat my meal at a restaurant without a trip to the bathroom to wash my hands after ordering! I think people overlook this as well. I also use my foot to flush the toilets when out and was shocked at the reaction on Cruise critic that got! People were so upset that I was putting the germs from my shoes on the toilet handle.:rolleyes: I kept saying, if everyone would wash their hands after going into a stall, my foot flushing wouldn't matter:P. Not sure why they just were not getting it. LOL!

But, I also think hand sanitizers and antibacterial soaps at all times isn't good either. I run a small daycare here at my house and this winter ran out of antibacterial soap. I did not have time to replenish so, I began washing the kids hands with Dove. We had less colds and overall illnesses pass through! And my hands thanked me! I must wash them 30-40 times a day when the kids are here. But, in public, I wouldn't be comfortable using just Dove. Antibacterial in public is a must.

I also use my foot to flush the toilets when out and was shocked at the reaction on Cruise critic that got! People were so upset that I was putting the germs from my shoes on the toilet handle.:rolleyes: I kept saying, if everyone would wash their hands after going into a stall, my foot flushing wouldn't matter:P. Not sure why they just were not getting it. LOL!
Maybe because when the toilet manufacturers want you to use your foot to flush a toilet, they provide a foot flush pedal. Toilet handles are not designed for the forces people can exert with their feet. Plus, why would you put extra germs on a toilet handle when there's already such a variety of germs in the environment?

Bottom line (no pun intended), using your foot exposes people to more germs than they'd get than if you just used your hands (and then washed them, like you said is good enough for everyone else).

We do this too! We have mini clorox spray bottles for the parks. We even immediately spray our identification finger when we enter a park. I use the clorox H2O2 wipes for the room (and airplane!). Love it!
Same here, and in between buffet trips too. Everyone washes before they eat at buffets, but all those hands on the serving utensils.....you need to wash after each trip. Sounds a little fanatic, but it's worked for us.

A few years ago there was a virus going around and I think I was the. Only one who did not get it. It seemed like the entire floor we were on at the BC was sick. I have to say the concierge working were going over and above as far as I could see, as were the mousekeepers.

We were there and DH, DD and DS all caught it too. We were staying in the Presidential Suite and all I have to say is thank goodness for all of the marble floors in there! DS had quite the episode in the foyer-I'll leave it at that.

We had seen signs of it around the parks. After we were there for five days, DH and DD caught it first. They were both sick in bed for two days. They were scheduled to leave a few days earlier than me and DS because she was in high school and could not miss that many days. They left-DH-still not feeling too well, but made it home.

DS and I were there for four more days and wouldn't you know he caught it the night before we were going to leave. I was alone with a very sick kid for two days- we had to extend the trip because there no way I could get him through an airport and on a plane-he had it really bad. I had room service for two days because I could not leave the room other than to run down to the lounge or the Marketplace for a few minutes. The waiter told us that almost everyone in the hotel was sick. What a nightmare!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter