Stomach virus going around at Disney

Yikes!!! We will be there soon as well. Running out to buy lots of hand sanitizer! Hope those who have it, feel better soon!

Fwiw I'm on magical express now - was at wdw parks for the past 8 days, stayed at Pop - and other than some coughing I didn't hear of or see anyone sick. (I guess it's like any group of thousands of people. I.e., some will be ill, but I don't think you need to worry about an epidemic.)

That eases my mind a little! Hope you enjoyed Pop! We will be at Pop in 7 days! Staying the first few at WL.

The Clorox hand spray kills norovirus.
We've used this for years, and after 15+ trips, never had stomach bug at Disney yet. We also use the Clorox professional hydrogen peroxide wipes to santitize our room at check in ( they say right on the label that it kills noro). We try and wash whenever possible, but this works great in between.

For all you coming down soon, wash, wash and wash your hands!!!

That and don't touch your mouth.

I know it sounds like over kill but it works. Purel will not kill norovirus...soap and warm water will.

Yep.

The Clorox hand spray kills norovirus.

If you read about it, they haven't tested on actual human Noro. It can't be grown in the lab. They are testing other noros, that humans don't get, and guessing.

Wash your hands. :)

Agree!

Washing your hands frequently is the best way. Make sure you sing Happy Birthday twice when doing so and have a paper towel ready before you wash...and don't shake water on another washer near you! So annoying.

I know it sounds like over kill but it works. Purel will not kill norovirus...soap and warm water will.

Not only wash your hands, but use the towel to open the door on the way out if you have to touch it. Sooooo many people go to the restrooms and don't wash at all!!!! Disgusting and gross! Just think of all the things they touch afterwards, including their food! o_O

The first thing my DH does when we get to the resort room is to turn on the TV. The first thing I do is get to the remote before he does, and toss it into a plastic zip bag where it stays all week. That thing can be nasty!!!

Also to those who fly...the seat belt in the plane is filthy, so sanitize after you touch it. A few years ago there was a virus going around and I think I was the. Only one who did not get it. It seemed like the entire floor we were on at the BC was sick. I have to say the concierge working were going over and above as far as I could see, as were the mousekeepers.

Just got back from 2 weeks there.
I wash and use sanitizer a lot! Didn't get sick except a stomach ache after eating something. Gone fast.
BFF got the cough and went home to it going to a sore throat. At least she made it home. I only saw her use her sanitizer once.

That many people around, there will always be bugs and germs a plenty

Just got back from 2 weeks there.
I wash and use sanitizer a lot! Didn't get sick except a stomach ache after eating something. Gone fast.
BFF got the cough and went home to it going to a sore throat. At least she made it home. I only saw her use her sanitizer once.

That many people around, there will always be bugs and germs a plenty

It is everywhere! I care for two little girls and they have been sick since school started, one thing after another. For the first time since any one of us can remember, the administration is sending absentee letters to parents, and these two sickies have not gotten one yet, so I think that there must be a multitude of kids who have been sick and out of school moe thatn they have been. I imagine that our school system is no different than any other, and those kids are all traveling. Even if they don't actively have the "bug" they may be carrying it.

Soap and water and sanitizer is a good practice, but my Dr told us that even walking in the grocery store after someone has sneezed is no joke if your immune system is compromised. Those droplets are suspended for longer than it takes for the sneezer to get to the next aisle, so figure those queues in WDW. If folks are not covering before sneezing, you may be walking right into the line of fire. I figure that there jus tis no escaping a cold or flu bug if it is out there lurking, so we do our best to prevent it, but there is always the possibility.

I heard the same thing when we went at Christmas time. We just made sure to try not to touch things. We used hand sanitizer here an there, but, made sure to wash our hands a little longer. We saw one child puke..... I don't know why, don't wanna know why.

We just got back from a Disney cruise. We are essential oil junkies and use theives oil religiously, but I even travel with Clorox. I do love that that the cast members hand out handsanitzer wipe at all the dining entrances. I haven't been to WDW in 8 years, do they do that there?

Welp, here's hoping it's slowly starting to die off. I will say i've been to WDW 10 times so far and never got sick, and i have a pretty bad immune system. (idid ARRIVE sick once, thought i was having asthma problems so i went anyway, turns out it was chest congestion. otherwise i never would have went!). My brother did get a terrible cold once when he was a teenager, spent a good 24 hours in he hotel room. That was miserable!

We were down at WDW from 1/19 - 1/27 - on the morning of the last day DH came down with the stomach bug. Before RD he went to the bathroom to throw up - I told him to go to the Care center and lie down (which he did - they took great care of him - gave him a dark room to lie down in - a blanket and a place to throw up). DD and I spent a couple of hours in the park and then picked him up for the 10 hour (yeah that was fun) ride home. My mom (retired nurse) reminded me that Gatorade is the way to go. Take small sips and swish them around in your mouth before swallowing - it will absorb a bit in your mouth and help get / keep your body balanced (salt etc). DD and I never got it - whew!

We just got back. No illnesses to report, nor did we see anyone sick walking around the parks. We also didn't use any hand sanitizer.....washed our hands after using the bathroom, but that's about it.
Just remember....don't touch your face!

Last edited:
Our luck ran out after more than 14 trips when two of us got horribly ill in December 2014. It was our third day at Disney so we weren't sure where it came from but I got so weak from problems at 'both ends' so to speak that we called 911. They wanted to take me in for rehydration but I refused and felt better by the next day.

We had been using hand sanitizer at WDW but it's impossible to avoid touching all public surfaces. It could have come from one of the restaurants on the trip down or even the grocery cart we used when shopping just outside WDW on day 1 at the parks.

I got sick on the trip's 5th day and DH became ill on day 9 so we couldn't really tell how long the incubation period was. The saving grace of the entire episode was that we were staying in a 1 bedroom at the BLT and had two bathrooms and a full-size refrigerator to store all the Gatorade and Pedialyte. Yes, I drank Pedialyte and it went down better than the other fluids. DS luckily never got it.

Personally I think getting sick at WDW is always possible and everyone runs a risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter