Stollers for older kids?

alcie27

Mouseketeer
Our DD's will be 4 and a young 8 when we visit this Dec. I don't think the 8 yr old will need a stroller most days but I do want her to have to option at Epcot. Are the Disney rental strollers big enough for older kids?

I don't know what a "young 8" is. 8 is 8 and WAY TOO BIG FOR A STROLLER.
An 8 year old may be able to scrunch into a double stroller, but doubtful it would be comfortable for the child or the pusher, so good luck with that. Of course, I don't even know an 8 year old who would agree to ride in a stroller.

Don't let the previous poster get to you. Our 8yo rides in the strollers we rent with no issues on her or our parts. Granted they are not the disney strollers.

You will find there are alot of people who are prejudice against strollers for any child over 2 for some reason.

You know your child best. My eight year old twins would not fit in the wdw double strollers together. He would love a ride, she would not. They both rode when they were six and it really helped them do more and enjoy the trip more. If you are getting one for the four year old, what about renting a double the first day. That way if your older one wants to jump in he/she can. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the double stroller tip. I don't expect she'd want to ride most of the day and it would only be for Epcot but I wouldn't be surprised if she would be the kind of kid to go as long as possible then crash and want dad to carry her back across the park. Plus this way we could play it by ear and not rent one if she A) wouldn't fit or B) didn't want to ride in one.

I had my dd sit in an abandoned strolled at DHS when she was 5 and she was too tall - her head hit the top. I couldn't imagine she would fit now at 8. She wasn't given an option of a stroller her last two trips nor has ds had one since age 5. They both made it walking 9 and 10 day trips. I'm sure they would have liked me to push them around but their legs were just as capable of walking as mine.

One thing to consider is the amount of backtracking a stroller requires. Stroller parking is often near but not right next to an attractions entrance. Attraction exits can be in a totally different area requiring you to backtrack and then find your stroller which will undoubtedly been moved during the cast member's constant stroller shuffle. The last trip that we used strollers was when our kids were 3 and 5 and the first trip without them was such a relief. We covered so much more ground without them.

My 8 year old is extremely healthy, very active, and loves running (we go on family walks all the time and he always has to run instead of walk).

That being said - at Disney, an 8 year old is NOT too old for a stroller. This is YOUR vacation and no one else's and if you think it will make a more pleasurable trip for everyone, then go for it!

My son is extremely fit and healthy, but Disney is exhausting for everyone and little legs with developing muscles walking 5+ miles a day is not an option for all or even most kids. Sure, you can take a lot of breaks, but that's not a style for us.

We have a sit-and-stand (aka caboose) stroller for our youngest and our 8 year old will sit or stand on the back the few times he needs a break (he didn't ride in it last year, but it was a place for him to sit and rest when we stopped - he did ride it in a good amount of time when he was 7). This keeps him going at our pace and the whole family is happy and able to accomplish everything they want to do because we don't have to stop for frequent breaks.

Just keep in mind that renting a Disney stroller for an entire week could buy (or be a decent down payment) on a good quality stroller - you might want to look into one of the stroller rentals offsite (much cheaper for the week and you get to leave the park with it and not unload all bags and children and still get to the hotel). We have the Joovy Caboose and love it. It has a bench seat in the back, so my oldest can sit there when we stop for snacks and we don't have to track down 4 open seats or tables.

People are judgmental everywhere - don't worry about what others think. You're paying A LOT of money for this vacation and my philosophy is to enjoy it any way you see fit. If that means a stroller for your child, why should anybody else care about their age? My youngest will be 6 this year, so we are opting to not take the stroller, but if he gets tired, he is our complainer, so we are budgeting the money to rent one every day if necessary.

I also think you need to consider what time of year you are going. And where you are staying...

We were there last July for a week, I have 3 kids they were 1-4-6. We stayed at the Boadwalk and had many walikng trips to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

I rented a stroller from Orlando Strollers...because they had the option of the foot board on the back for my oldest son.

I knew he could handle all of the walking but I wasn't sure how the heat would be and I wanted him to have a place to rest. It worked out nicely for us.

I am a runner and LOVE to walk and I know that I tend to tire my kids out...

That being said, we will be there in June this summer and he will not have that footboard...I know he will be fine. He will be 7.

You know your kids and always do what you think will be easiest for your family.

Happy travels!

I don't have kids this age yet, but when my daugthers are older, I could give a flip what other people think if I'm pushing them in a stroller.

Last week at EPCOT I literally collapsed at EPCOT due to exhaustion and a low blood sugar. (I'm a thin, healthy 28 year old) The RCFD EMTs responded to the situation. After that embarassing experience I really don't think anyone can truly gauge just how worn down their kid is. Heck, I had no idea in how bad of shape I was. That was enough for me to decide that I NEVER want to be in that sort of situation again.

Ignore all the judgemental people on these boards. This is your kid, your business. Do what is best for your individual child.

We are going down for our next trip this week, my DD is 6...will be 7 in Oct and we fully plan on bringing our "Disney & travel stroller" with us. We don't expect to use it but I definitely do not care what people will think of me for having her in a stroller and HAPPY instead of lugging her with my back screaming in pain, or her whining about being tired the whole time. She is very active, dances competitively, plays soccer 2 days a week, and does cheerleading but that doesn't mean she will be up for walking 5 - 8 miles per day around the parks, even if the pavement was lined with every candy in the world. To those that think it is SO SIMPLE, shame on you for judging! I'd rather her be in a stroller and enjoy our vacation than have to come home and recover with insane back pain for 2 months.

If it isn't your kid, shut the f......ront door, I say!! :)

Definitly get a stroller if your child needs one. Up until this past November DD always used a stroller in Epcot. When she was 7, we used a single, but when she was 8 we got a double. Extra room for the backpack and she was more comfortable. I have also seen many other older kids in strollers.

Do what is best for your child and family so you can have the best time possible.

Knowing my almost 5 yr old Gson has some disability an will never be able to walk all day 3 or 4 days a row at disney I'm already shoppin for him a push chair or small wheel chair for when he out grows his stroller he has now. DD will need it other times I'm sure so we need our own rather than having to rent.

Some days a person would never believe Gson has a disability but due to his CP a very very mild case he has low muscle tone, tires out sooner than his brother etc. He's been in PT since he was like 10 months old I got to say DD has been on top of helping him to be all he can be.

Little guy plays soccer an basketball at the YMCA etc for now .....later he might just have to do special olympics etc. We want him to do all he can but if we need to push him around disney an the zoos etc then so be it.

My DD will be 5 when we go, so younger than yours but all kids get tired! Heck, I'd love to have someone push me in a stroller at times :rotfl: We are planning on buying a sit 'n stand stroller so DD can ride and sit on the bench in the back while her baby brother is in the stroller. It will give her a little more freedom and save her feet when she gets tired. Find something that will work for your family to make your trip fantastic!

My DD went into a stroller last time when we went and she was 8. At home, she would never be in a stroller but like other posters have said, this is different. The stroller allowed us to go further than she would have been able to otherwise and I believe it was a major factor in NO MELTDOWNS the entire trip. We saved her energy for the fun stuff which made our whole trip that much more enjoyable. Just remember that you probably won't be seeing any of these people again so who cares.

My son was 9 last year when we went and about into the third day of walking his poor feet were agony and his legs were aching. We rented a double stroller for him and he sat in it legs crossed..it meant we covered more ground quicker and he enjoyed the trip a whole lot better.....dont listen to the nay sayers that think 8 is too old...I tell ya....if I could have fitted in one that trip and somehow convinced my hubby to push me I would have..hehe:rotfl:

So refreshing to see a thread where the op is not being bashed for wanting a stroller for an older child!
We leave in 9 days and I have a stroller rented from Kingdom Strollers for my 8 yr old. I really considered renting a double from the parks because I think she will fit better but I went with Kingdom Strollers to save money.
One of the main reasons I am renting a stroller is because my daughter is a worrier. She gets very panicy and nervous and crowds bother her. We are going at a time when it is going to be very crowded so I want her to have a place where she will feel safe from the crowds. I am traveling with out my husband this trip.

I think this is the first time I have seen this topic discussed and felt by the end of it...ok, yeah...we should definitely get the double stroller for our trip at the end of the year. The kids will be (just turned) 2 and (almost) 6. I think I will be renting from offsite, the mini city double per a friend's advice. ;)

Taking one for our almost 4 year old but now I'm worried about my 6 year old after reading this. I hope he can swing it! I don't want to rent one.

Listen, most of the time I'm in WDW, I'd like a stroller so who cares if your kid is 8?! :confused3 I can already imagine that we'll get looks when we go next year and DS is 5 but I definitely don't expect him to walk all day everyday for at least 5 days. People just have too much time on their hands to worry about what others are doing I suppose.
As some previous posters have mentioned, I think one of those caboose strollers would be sufficient. Since we brought our own stroller previously I can't quite recall the size of the WDW double strollers so I can't comment on that but at least with the caboose strollers he'll get some sort of reprieve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter