Stitchs great escape is going seasonal

Kind of glad we rode it this past week. I will say we went by several times and almost every middle of the day show was full. I think people just needed an "easy" sit down attraction that was in the A/C but still the seats were full.

This. There will always be a place for filler transactions. Now, granted, Stitch was not a very good one. But, most people need to sit down and get out of the heat at some point during the day.

:thanks: :dogdance: :cool1: :thumbsup2 :banana:

Idea for the space (that's completely unrealistic but a woman can dream): Bring back Alien Encounter and do like, a million billion zillion warnings beforehand, like they do on Mission: Space.

I KNOW IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT.... just wanted to say that before I got flamed.

"Will open based on demand"

....sooo... never?

I keep hearing about a possible Wreck-It-Ralph. Maybe there'd be a sort of gamification in which they keep the theater and have people compete against one another, with the theater moving or something along with the game.

While I think Stitch himself is still a rather popular character, the attraction has needed help for a while (though I don't outright hate it like some and I do love the pre-show for it). The rumors were about a Wreck-It Ralph virtual reality thing, which could work for sure. The VR aspect would be great since they could still use the round theater setup, and lower the VR goggles down instead of the shoulder harness. I have no idea how they can keep VR eye wear clean in a theme park, but other parks are starting to use them, so I suppose they'll have that worked out. Hopefully whatever they put in there will be amazing.

not a great attraction but i do have memories there.. one my sons favorite rides. I think he likes it just because no one else does! ;)

I realize Stitch is not a major draw, but I have to say that Disney is 'messing' with a lot of stuff in October while we are there. I realize there have to be periodic changes, but this is borderline chaos.
  • Big Thunder - Down
  • Dinosaur - Down
  • Stitch - Temporarily Shuttered
  • Electrical Parade - Gone before we planned on seeing it on the 12th. Had to re-work our schedule to see it on the 9th.
  • Rivers of Light - Probably not up and running until after we're home.
  • 6:00 PM close at HS on October 6th.
  • A bunch of recent changes to 8:00 a.m. openings at MK
  • Muppets in Liberty Square
  • Woody & Jessie get the boot
  • FEA down, up briefly, and then down again (okay, I'm just anticipating that one)

I wonder what's next.

It's the slower time of year for Disney when they do a lot of their refurbs before the busy Holiday season. I was disappointed to see that Dinosaur is closed down this trip, lucky for me, I am coming back in the spring. Hopefully the rehabs will be mostly done.

It's the slower time of year for Disney when they do a lot of their refurbs before the busy Holiday season. I was disappointed to see that Dinosaur is closed down this trip, lucky for me, I am coming back in the spring. Hopefully the rehabs will be mostly done.

We go in October quite a bit. There has never been this much upheaval before. Peter Pan was closed one year. Small World re-opened our last day another year. And, the Railroad was being refurbished two trips in a row. But, generally, there have not been this many changes at the same time in October. I think it's poor planning on Disney's part to have two headliner transactions like Big Thunder and Dinosaur closed at the same time. And, why October 9th to end MSEP? Columbus day week is usually very busy. Why not wait one more week and close it on the 16th?

not a great attraction but i do have memories there.. one my sons favorite rides. I think he likes it just because no one else does! ;)

It's one of my son's favorites, as well. He just loves the character Stitch and I'm sure that's why. I had heard the "Wreck-It-Ralph" rumors and was going to make sure to take him on Stitch one more time during our late October trip, but I guess that won't happen now. He'll be quite disappointed. (Me, I could care less, but I feel for those who did like it.)

We go in October quite a bit. There has never been this much upheaval before. Peter Pan was closed one year. Small World re-opened our last day another year. And, the Railroad was being refurbished two trips in a row. But, generally, there have not been this many changes at the same time in October. I think it's poor planning on Disney's part to have two headliner transactions like Big Thunder and Dinosaur closed at the same time. And, why October 9th to end MSEP? Columbus day week is usually very busy. Why not wait one more week and close it on the 16th?

All Good points. I forgot about Columbus day, as it really is just another day to me. And I agree there is a lot of upheaval in the coming months, I'm sure the imagineers have their reasons.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH. Seriously? Is their goal to eventually make even MK a half-day park? Okay, I get it, I know Stitch wasn't a favorite, but he's my favorite character, and this attraction is going to reopen the day I leave. Would it kill them to leave it operational during the interim? I'd have liked one more chance to ride it. Grrrrrrrrrr. :rolleyes2

I second what a PP poster said - it just feels like a cut. I don't see any strategy to closing it for a month except to save a few bucks. Between that, BTMRR (which has been closed by happenstance the past couple of trips I've made), MSEP, all the extra ticketed events scheduled, I am probably not going back to WDW until the Star Wars stuff is open. I really couldn't care less about Avatar - I'll be glad to see it at some point, as I think it will be beautiful, but I'm in no rush. So... see you, WDW, in 2084 (or whenever it was Pete said Star Wars stuff would be done. LOL).

Last edited:
"Will open based on demand"

....sooo... never?

I keep hearing about a possible Wreck-It-Ralph. Maybe there'd be a sort of gamification in which they keep the theater and have people compete against one another, with the theater moving or something along with the game.

Yeah. That pretty much sums it up. My friend going in November has a Stitch loving daughter and they will be very disappointed to be losing another ride. They actually like the Stitch ride. Add that to BTMRR, MSEP and RnR they will be missing already. Although definitely not of the same caliber, they will definitely feel its loss.

Disney continues to cheap out. :( In spite of Iger claiming domestic theme park performance is strong.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/park-attendance-down-iger-vs-anecdotes.3549168/

I know it's not popular but I'm a little bummed since Stitch is one of my favorite characters. Also, it was a great place to get out of the heat.

Ugg...Stitch is my daughter's favorite character and I promise her one last trip to ride it before the rumored refub...we were going to be in MK on October 2!!! Now I guess I have to add a day to our tickets and go on the 1st after we arrive.

Last day is October 1st. Then closed until November 19th, opened until November 26th then closed again until December 17th

Holiday crowd control ......... can't close it soon enough for me. Hoping the love for Tomorrowland is around the corner and more than just painting buildings and rocks.

I wish Stitch could still get his own attraction, but this one does leave much to be desired. I am totally down for a Wreck-it Ralph attraction though. As someone mentioned, I think turning the Speedway into a Wreck-it Ralph theme would be absolutely brilliant if they could find something else to do with the Stitch building. Why don't they do the Monster's Inc dark ride like the one they have at DL? I would love more dark rides at MK!

Interesting (but why, I don't know) that Stitch's last day for now is October 1 - the day of the MK 45th anniversary.

I may be at MK that day, but, as usual, I'll likely walk on by.

Suggested seasonal schedule for Stitch: Open say Feb 1, end season Feb 2.

I think part of the problem with this ride is that it is terrifying to the age group that loves Stitch.
My son loves Stitch because he is an adorable destructive alien who eats weird stuff. (Both)
He wasn't tall enough on our last trip though. If the intended audience is too little or too scared to ride, then I understand why they would close it.
But I want to go on before they do :)

Reactions: KTR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter