Sting Ray Ex's: G-Cayman & Castaway Cay

2disneycruzrs

DIS Veteran
Having now done Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman and DCL's sting ray excursion at Castaway Cay, I can give an opinion on both.

If you're on the 7-nt Western that stops in GC, I would definitely do Captain Marvin's and skip the one at CC. In GC, you get two snorkel stops before "Stingray City." The water is crystal clear and more shallow in GC. It's not as educational, but you get to feed them and learn a little about the rays.

If you are not going to GC, then it's neat to do the excursion at CC but a bit pricey for the event - $35. They explain the sting rays, show you how to feed it, and you get to see them up close. The event lasted about 25-30 minutes, then the rest of the time you could snorkel in the small roped-off area. After the sting rays ate, several of them buried themselves in the sand until the next feeding group while a few swam. It was very murkey and difficult to see. I gave up after about 10 minutes of snorkeling.

Thanks for the report. I was wondering if I should do CC or Grand Cayman, leaning towards GC and your report pretty much sealed it for me.

Question: If I book with Captain Marvin's and something happens (rerouted...etc)...will I get a refund?

I've also done both excursions and would generally agree - my DH and I absolutely loved Captain Marvins. However, next September we will be taking my mother and father with us, and the Castaway Cay experience will be MUCH more appropriate for my mother.

If you are comfortable in the water, with some light wave action, and are comfortable being in the water with largish animals, you'll love Captain Marvin's, but my mom - who's a little skitish about interacting with the stingrays will be much better in the controled environment of Castay Cay.

Question: If I book with Captain Marvin's and something happens (rerouted...etc)...will I get a refund?

Yes! In fact - they didn't actually charge our credit card until we were there. Just make sure to tell them you're on a cruise (and which one) when you book.

Thanks a bunch.

We are trying to decide between Captain Marvin's, Disney, or just finding someone when we got off the boat. :)

Captain Marvin's is very reputable and as mentioned, will refund your money if the ship isn't able to stop there.

I highly recommend Captain Marvin's. We used them once and they were fantastic. The second time we planned to use them, Disney could not tender at GC so we missed out. We were never charged. Have a great trip.

For those of you that have been there, is the water deep or are you on a beach like setting? My DS's are 7 and 11 years and don't swim real well. Will they be ok with Captain Marvins? When you get off DCL how are you transported to the area?

For those of you that have been there, is the water deep or are you on a beach like setting? My DS's are 7 and 11 years and don't swim real well. Will they be ok with Captain Marvins? When you get off DCL how are you transported to the area?

Just to add into the "will we get a refund from Capt. Marvins" question that was already answered MANY times...but anyways I wanted to add in my two cents worth.... :teeth: We booked with Capt. Marvins durring both of our cruises...and BOTH times we were rerouted and didn't end up even getting close to Grand Caymans.....Both times.....(well I know for sure at least the first time) we didn't even let them know we weren't comming...and had no problem with the charges (they don't actually charge you until the day of your excursion)...

But anyways....if your ship does not make the port they do NOT charge you....however if your ship dose make the stop and you just don't show up they WILL charge you. So yes....make sure you let them know your on a cruise and what ship your on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter