Steakhouse 71 or Be Our Guest???

I mean, Steakhouse 71 truly surprised me. The food and service were both outstanding, especially as compared to the food at BOG, which is good but not great by any means. Steakhouse also comes in at a better price point which is nice. That said, BOG's atmosphere is definitely something to see. If you've never been to BOG it's worth seeing once. But if you've done it already, or if you're not super enthused over the theming, then I'd recommend Steakhouse 71.

On one hand I'm thinking go to BOG while kids are still young enough to love that theming. Added benefit of not losing time in the park.

On the other hand I'm thinking if you don't foresee staying at the Contemporary (or a close hotel) again then Steakhouse 71 might slip through your fingers.

Bottom line - if the MK hotels are possible in your future - go to BOG now. S71 can wait.

This is an easy decision for me….Steakhouse 71 for sure! :-) We really enjoy it. We haven’t been to BOG recently, but have been hearing it is not quite as good as it used to be.

Just to add-- We are staying at the Contemporary. the day we have BOG booked is our MK day and SH71 booked for our second MK day (a few days later) . we can walk over from MK then head back to the park.

Thanks all for the tips!! Lol I still don't know what to do. It basically boils down to better food or scenery/ambiance. lol
Steakhouse 71. It will also give you a break from the park.

august 16 -22 ive been checking the weather constantly!
Now is a time to get the gist of what it will be like, but pop up's are common in August. The duration is variable. It is often only 10minutes, or it might be intermittent all evening, or somewhere in-between. Hopefully you get lucky.

We check weather the before we go, but that's only semi-useful.

It is helpful to check again each morning. If rain odds are high, then we check again mid-day. That should give a better sense of the timing/duration. (pop-ups tend to happen in afternoon/evening.)

We carry little else in the parks beyond water and set of plastic ponchos. If it looks like longer rain though, we prefer jackets. Jackets are much more comfortable in the summer heat, but ponchos are very portable. When pop-up do happen though - the rain tends to come down in buckets! FL lightning can also be very intense.

Another good thing to know is that WDW now allows a 2-hour cancelation on dining, and Steakhouse 71 is easy to get as a replacement ADR. It is a great back-up option.

I would consider Crystal Palace instead of either. Pooh and gang have excellent interactions with young ones, the kids buffet is great, and you would be in MK with less time to eat han BOG.

Are your Rainforest and Trex both in Disney springs? The food is not why you go. You can look around inside one of them if not eating. If rainforest is at Animal Kingdom, there are other great options

Been to both and definitely second your decision! I travel routinely for work, and Steakhouse 71 is an above average steakhouse in a majority of large cities I visit. With 5 and 3 year olds, there is no replacing that BoG experience.

Two other quick thoughts- I really did enjoy Steakhouse 71’s breakfast, so not sure if you can work that in before you go. Walt’s Hash was quite yummy.

I haven’t been in the last year (2021), but I feel like the food at BOG is really getting a bad wrap in the thread. I thought it was solid (certainly not worth the price), but we still enjoyed the food.

I haven’t been in the last year (2021), but I feel like the food at BOG is really getting a bad wrap in the thread. I thought it was solid (certainly not worth the price), but we still enjoyed the food.
Same. I've been twice in the last 2 years and neither time would I have said it was awful or even sub par. I guess I just know I'm paying for the experience and not a Michelin starred meal. My girls are teens now and still love going.

We love SH71 but I would go with BOG for your boys.

Your kids are only little for such a short time. Our first 2-3 trips with the kids we did a character and/or themed TS meal each day if our 7-8 day trips. I have zero regrets.

Now that my youngest is a senior in HS we do 1-2 character meals a trip. I try for one new one and DD usually still asks for a princess meal. And I’ll keep doing this because one day it may stop.

Steakhouse 71 has an amazing lunch menu, better than dinner in my opinion and a great way to get a break from the heat of the day so if it fits in the budget why not try to do both. BOG for dinner and a lunch at S71. Their stack burger and the prime rib sandwich are incredible.

Steakhouse 71 is the better in terms of food. BOG has the ambiance but it's prix fixe and S71 was the better steak option.

Steakhouse 71 hands down. We really liked BOG when it first opened but then the food went downhill and the prices when uphill. As locals it is one of the few Disney restaurants we go to. We mostly avoid Disney run restaurants.

If you looking for something new, I recommend Rosa Mexicano at the Swan. It is a short walk or boat ride if you are at EPCOT or Hollywood Studios. We pretend the walk over and back makes up for everything we ate.

I have both booked, but I don't need both. And also heard BOG is not that great and that SH71 is delish!
Which one do you like best? Mind you, I have two boys ages 5 and 3 who do like the beast. I think Steakhouse 71 is more for adults--? We're also doing chef mickey, woodys BBQ, t-rex, rainforest cafe, space 220, 50s prime time. So my boys are going to experience lots of kid fun restaurants.
Thanks!
I would keep the 5 and 3 year old out of Steakhouse 71. As a 3 or 5 year old, I would hate it. At Steakhouse 71, you do have conventioneers and business lunch/dinners happening there at times and you will get the side-eye if your kids act like mine did when they were 3-5 years old. You do have a fun week planned based on your reservations (your kids are lucky). Also, for T-Rex Cafe, if you sign up for a Landry's card on the Rainforest Cafe website, you will get a $25 welcome email coupon (T-Rex Cafe, Rainforest Cafe, Yak/Yeti) plus a $25 off any bill during your Birthday month.

Steakhouse 71 is light years ahead of bog. Bog is garbage in my opinion anymore. Lunch used to be decent.

SH71 hands down IMO even though I've never been there :). BoG is prix fixed menu so not very many choices. I did love the theming of BoG

I do not mean this in a snide way, but what is the purpose of your visit?

Are you dining so you can see a themed setting, or to have a somewhat decent meal?

What about weather? Transportation?

Steakhouse 71 has decent food. Not exceptional, just decent. We make better steak+ sides at home for a lower price, but it was one of the better TS meals at WDW right now, esp for the price paid. The service has also been very good there.

If your goal is only to see themed settings then BoG has a more themed setting. Steakhouse 71 is okay as restaurants go, but not themed. If you do go, try to take a moment to look at entryway photos. BoG is wildly overpriced. ($67 adults, $39 kids)

You alos might want to consider weather and transportation. If this is summer visit for dinner, storms might absolutely be a factor in trying to get to BoG, which is in the back of MK. If you are staying at CR, getting to Steakhouse 71 would be much easier. From other hotels though, getting to CR via WDW's free transportation might take a little longer- because your best option is probably going to MK then walking over to CR.

That sounds like a LOT of character/themed meals already! And most are probably just going to be very expensive for so-so food. So that's another good reason to choose the steakhouse. Chef Mickeys is now $62 per adult and $39 per child for dinner. That's crazy! When I'm not at WDW, I can easily eat out TWICE for $62 per adult, and be served considerably better food than the WDW character meals. On our most recent visit we ate at both Boma and Cindy's Castle and the food was very disappointing. I mean some of the food was inedible it was so bad. Current WDW is not what it was 5 years ago. Of your list, T-Rex and 50's Prime Time probably the top picks for food and pricing, IMO.
To each there own but after slamming BOG and ST71 for their food quality and then to recommend Prime time and Trex is beyond comprehension to me.

To each there own but after slamming BOG and ST71 for their food quality and then to recommend Prime time and Trex is beyond comprehension to me.
Er, I didn't slam Steakhouse 71. That is a total mischaracterization.

Second, I suggested T-Rex and Prime time from a very short list provided by OP.

Your reaction is a bit over-the-top. :crazy2:

OP asked for opinions, and I provided mine. Having just dined at T-Rex, I stand by my opinion. Our food was decent, the theming is fun, and the staff was all-round excellent. We were seated promptly, server did a great job, chef came to our table to discuss allergen concerns, then the gift shop staff went above and beyond. Overall, it was among the better meals we ate at WDW.

Also, OP made a decision weeks ago!

Er, I didn't slam Steakhouse 71. That is a total mischaracterization.

Second, I suggested T-Rex and Prime time from a very short list provided by OP.

Your reaction is a bit over-the-top. :crazy2:

OP asked for opinions, and I provided mine. Having just dined at T-Rex, I stand by my opinion. Our food was decent, the theming is fun, and the staff was all-round excellent. We were seated promptly, server did a great job, chef came to our table to discuss allergen concerns, then the gift shop staff went above and beyond. Overall, it was among the better meals we ate at WDW.

Also, OP made a decision weeks ago!
Might have misread or misquoted or responded to several posts combined.:confused3

Carry on

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter