Steakhouse 55 Permanently Closed

This is soooo sad. This was my favorite place for tea, breakfast, and dinner! (Been known to do all 3 in one day!) I had heard this back the beginning of June, but had seriously hoped the source was way off base. I'm still hoping they are off base, as their version was it was to expand Goofy's.
As much as I like Goofy's, Steakhouse 55 was such a nice restaurant. I think the DLH needs a non-character dining establishment. Several times we ate breakfast and dinner there, and we've been to a few of their teas. We are going to miss it.

Last edited:
For those with Landry's Select Club, try Morton's near the Convention Center?

My DH and I will miss Steakhouse 55 ... but I'm guessing Morton's will fill the bill quite nicely. (We thoroughly enjoyed our Morton's fare when visiting DLR/Buena Vista Street in Nov 2020.)

So sad to hear about Steakhouse 55. I have done the breakfast, tea and dinner there all in one day. And I have also done appetizer at Carthay Circle, entree at Napa Rose, and dessert (creme brule) at Steakhouse 55 all at one night.
There are more than Morton's for steak. I would suggest The Ranch down on Ball Road or The Cellar at Downtown Fullerton.
I hope they come back with a more mature sit down restaurant.

Although we don't visit DL/DCA often, we did enjoy S55 several times. Loved the 24 layer chocolate cake!

When they discontinued the 24 layer chocolate cake, we stopped going there.

We had some really good meals there, but also had a few bad experiences that made it not a favorite - mostly waitstaff who didn't seem to take my life threatening allergies seriously. Didn't inspire a lot of confidence. I'm hoping they replace it with another nice restaurant.

If they replace it with another nice, adult-centered restaurant, I won't mind as much. If they simply did it to expand Goofy's, that breaks my heart. I have zero interest in Goofy's and that whole buffet thing. Now if they want to expand something, expand Trader Sam's!

"Steakhouse 55 was awarded four stars by the Orange County Register and a Golden Bacchus by the Southern California Restaurant Writers Association. Zagat describes the restaurant as “amazing,” “a gem,” “elegant” and “the best rib eye in town.”"

So, of course, they decide to 86 it. And, of course, they are "considering options" because they haven't had 15 months to think about it...

A Fleming's Prime just opened in the brand new Westin across Katella from DCA, so at least there's another chain option available...:oops:

I feel like we're all drastically overreacting to an unsubstantiated rumor. All this angst came from one Disney fan site that posted a poorly-written statement from a Disney rep saying that they have no plans to open Steakhouse 55 and are evaluating what to do with the space. Yes, that could mean Steakhouse 55 is now part of yesterland. It could also mean just what it says--that in their phased plans for reopening things all over the resort, they haven't gotten to Steakhouse 55 yet (hence "no plans").

Personally, I feel like there is a shortage of truly upscale dining at Disneyland so I'll be very surprised if Steakhouse 55 doesn't reopen. They could retheme it to something else nice and classy, but what other kind of cuisine (other than Japanese, which has always been a shocking omission ever since they closed Yamabuki) does DLR need? Granted, there is now a Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Fleming's all within easy walking distance of the DLH so maybe they think it will be tough to compete as an upscale steakhouse.

Expanding Goofy's Kitchen just doesn't make sense. Granted, a character buffet is basically a money-printing machine for Disney. But every time I went to Steakhouse 55 in the past (and it was a lot) for breakfast or dinner, all the tables were full of people enjoying very expensive entrees and beverages. In addition, I think one of the criteria for earning a AAA 4-diamond award is a classy restaurant. If they don't bring back Steakhouse 55, they will need to retheme the space as something else sit-down, nice, and classy.

I feel like we're all drastically overreacting to an unsubstantiated rumor. All this angst came from one Disney fan site that posted a poorly-written statement from a Disney rep saying that they have no plans to open Steakhouse 55 and are evaluating what to do with the space. Yes, that could mean Steakhouse 55 is now part of yesterland. It could also mean just what it says--that in their phased plans for reopening things all over the resort, they haven't gotten to Steakhouse 55 yet (hence "no plans").

Personally, I feel like there is a shortage of truly upscale dining at Disneyland so I'll be very surprised if Steakhouse 55 doesn't reopen. They could retheme it to something else nice and classy, but what other kind of cuisine (other than Japanese, which has always been a shocking omission ever since they closed Yamabuki) does DLR need? Granted, there is now a Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Fleming's all within easy walking distance of the DLH so maybe they think it will be tough to compete as an upscale steakhouse.

Expanding Goofy's Kitchen just doesn't make sense. Granted, a character buffet is basically a money-printing machine for Disney. But every time I went to Steakhouse 55 in the past (and it was a lot) for breakfast or dinner, all the tables were full of people enjoying very expensive entrees and beverages. In addition, I think one of the criteria for earning a AAA 4-diamond award is a classy restaurant. If they don't bring back Steakhouse 55, they will need to retheme the space as something else sit-down, nice, and classy.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/07/...ncluding-a-steakhouse-rich-in-disney-history/
Seems legit. Also not reopening PCH Grill in PPH. Granted, it sounds like the same sources, but the OC Register is less likely to run with a fan fiction piece.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/07/...ncluding-a-steakhouse-rich-in-disney-history/
Seems legit. Also not reopening PCH Grill in PPH. Granted, it sounds like the same sources, but the OC TRegister is less likely to run with a fan fiction piece.

Paywall, but given the OC Register's usual level of journalistic integrity, I suspect their source is the same single online report that everyone else is freaking out about.

I would not be surprised at all if PCH Grill is closed and rethemed. Disney has struggled for *years* to get a successful operation running over there.

Paywall, but given the OC Register's usual level of journalistic integrity, I suspect their source is the same single online report that everyone else is freaking out about.

I would not be surprised at all if PCH Grill is closed and rethemed. Disney has struggled for *years* to get a successful operation running over there.

I don't disagree, but you have to form some pretty semantic pretzels to turn "At this time, there are no plans to reopen Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel" into "We don't currently have a timeframe for reopening Steakhouse 55 (but that doesn't mean we're not)", instead of simply "There are no plans to reopen Steakhouse 55". Also, "We are exploring options for this location and will update you when we have news to share" begs the question "what options?". If they retheme it, or change the menu, then it's not Steakhouse 55, any more than Lamplight Lounge is Ariel's Grotto.

I don't doubt there will be some sort of food location there, and definitely not an extension of Goofy's Kitchen. One need only look at the remaining options (Tangaroa Terrace, a glorified pool snack shack, and Goofy's Kitchen) to see that there's a desperate need for a legitimate restaurant in the hotel. Maybe not on a Napa Rose level, but something better than what guests are left with starting tomorrow.

And PCH Grill was terrible the only time I ever ate there (under duress).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter