Staying at the grosvenor resort

jacksinn

Earning My Ears
This was a last minute decision to go to disney on sunday. Has anyone stayed here lately. What did you think of it? Onsite restaurants anygood?

You can check some reviews on hotels.com and other hotel reservations. It looks like they need to do some improvements.

I've been in the lobby many times and it looks really nice. It is walking distance to DTD.

I don't know what to think. The reviews were either awful or they loved it. I decided that I will ask to see the room before I hand them my credit card. I called the visa company and they said the resort can not process a charge without the card even though they have the numbers.

I might be wrong, but I personally think that if it is techinally on Disney property then it has to keep up a certain standard. I wouldn't be too worried. I used to do alot of marketing to the concierge desk in the lobby and all the guests that walked up seemed to be happy.

My parents stayed there a couple of years ago and checked out after one night (and they aren't all that picky about hotel rooms if they have a good rate - they had $39 but hated the hotel). My SIL and her family just got back (had two rooms), and they all complained about the beds (said they were hard as a rock).

Sorry I don't have any good news...

My DH & I stayed there two years ago. It was honestly one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed at. (And we've stayed at a few) The only thing that was nice was the lobby. Besides losing our reservation, it was dark, dingy, dirty and you could smell must everywhere. There were water stains all over the carpets in the hallways. The elevator for guests looked like a service elevator and could only fit 2-3 adults. Our sheets and blankets had holes in them. You get the idea.

For a Downtown Disney Hotel we were expecting a lot more. It is not owned by Disney, so it is not held up to Disney standards. The desk clerks couldn't even give us any Disney information.

If there is still time, I would strongly think about changing hotels. Check out the All Stars Resorts - they are pretty affordable.

My aunt and uncle stayed there about a month ago and said it was okay. Nothing bad like all the bad reviews that had me worried. We'll be staying there next week so it was good to hear something positive! I also read a review on another site that was also positive.

Although I had reservations at the Grosvenor for next week at a wonderful $59 rate, I ended up switching to another hotel due to the mixed reviews. It seems that those individuals who were in a tower room were much more pleased than those in one of the garden/wing rooms.

We stayed there in 2001 and I hope things have changed since then! I booked a room because of the great rate, but checking their website..it didn't show the wing buildings which are very old. Guess where we were put? The wing rooms were NASTY. Very, VERY old, tile cracking..you know..it looked like it was never updated at all..really. It was the worst room I have ever had. The lobby and tower look nice and the restaurant wasn't bad and it's a nice short walk to DTD and bus service was fine..but I couldn't get over the rooms. The next year sight unseen..we bought into DVC because we never wanted another bad room experience like we had there. If you are going to stay there..I'd get a Tower Room. From my experience they lure you in with the great rates and then stick you in the really crappy rooms. You'll pay more for a tower room too. I hope it goes well for you.

A negative for us too. At $55 paid too much. I truly wish that Disney required a standard for on property hotels, but obviously they don't. Most our group checked out early it was so bad. They'd rather head home then stay any longer.

I booked one night at the Grosvenor back in December 2005 (post-thanksgiving). It was actually Disney CRO that booked it for me because there was no availability in the value or moderate resorts. I thought the same thing that it must be safe since Disney CRO is reserving it for me - assuming standards exist on Disney property. When I got into the Hotel, my jaw dropped in disgust. The carpets were worn and dingy. The beds were filthy. The furnitures were low quality and scratched. And the worst, the bathroom was inside an old closet. No kidding: the bathroom was literally a converted closet. I feared I wouldn't be able to cancel. I called Disney CRO and complained but said that they couldn't cancel for me, and that the resort must do the cancellation. So I called front desk immediately and they complied with my cancellation - no questions asked (thank God). I often wonder why the front desk never asked any questions why I was cancelling. It was as if they weren't surprised I was cancelling.

Anyway, the location of my room wasn't in the tower. It was on a wing. I would never book a hotel room there ever. I actually usually book my hotels through Priceline. Now, I fear that Grosvenor participates in Priceline. I'd hate for one of my Priceline bids to end up there.

Be careful with the Grosvenor. My wife and I call it "Gross" venor. It is one of the worst hotels I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot.

Stayed there a month or so ago, nothing fancy in the non-tower garden wing rooms but close to DTD and rate was good, for one night I can handle it.

My biggest problem with this hotel was the common areas lack of cleanliness - trash cans in the walkways on several floors were almost full when we checked in Sunday afternoon and they continued to pile up with trash and overflow, they had not been emptied by time we checked out Monday morning. People would just bring in trash from their cars and pile it around the trash cans and it sat for hours.

Walked up the stairway from one floor to another, opened the door and there was a big box just sitting there in front of the door, sat there for hours.

When first got there walked up another set of steps from one floor to another saw some M & Ms spilled on the steps. Still there when checked out.

The entry and lobby area looks fine, but past there some problems exist.

Phrank

We stayed there & checked out after the first night as well (tower room)......The lobby was fine, but the room was musty, moldy & was not clean. Even the character breakfast was unbelievably bad. After the stay, I complained multiple times to multiple people & they really didn't care.

It was probably the worst hotel that I've ever stayed at. :sad2:

Hi Jacks,
I am happy to hear that your leaving sunday but disappointed in the hotel of your choice. I have stayed there and hated it. They only good thing about it was the trial size bath items that they gave you were from bath and body.
Otherwise, the hotel was horrible. As for the restaurants in this hotel, not good either. The breakfast that they offer w/ the characters are horrible, they look dirty and some of them even smell dusty.
I am sorry to write bad reviews when you are leaving but your going to be in Disney so enjoy it as much as you could. Enjoy your vacation and try to stay away from the hotel as much as you could.
:moped:

Wow- I was expecting the worst when I got to the Grosvener yeaterday. I was pleasantly surprised. The room is more than fine-love the pools-in between the rain showers.Wireless internet and tv working great. The weather is my biggest problem. Forced to do indoor activities. Everywhere indoors is packed! thankseveryone on the boards your tips and info were very helpful. Jackie

I'll be staying there next week, 6/22 - 26 for a business seminar. Nice to hear at least one good report. I did opt for the tower room facing DTD, hoping the most expensive would be the best.

I'll let you know when I get there!

djkeenan- I made it perfectly clear when I checked in that if the room wasnt satisfactory that I would be back to the desk for another room. I was up in the tower yesterday to look at the view from the window at the end of the hall and the hallways were spotless and the couple in the elevator had no complaints about there tower room. Have a good week here.

We stayed there with my family a couple years ago. We were in a tower room. For a family that can't afford to stay in a really fancy place, we didn't mind it! We were there for the parks, not the hotel. LOL I will admit it wasn't top of the line, obviously, but it wasn't BAD, IMO.

I stayed at the Grosvenor for 4 nights last week. Yes the property needs some work: carpets stained, general wear and tear etc. My room, a deluxe room with DTD view was nice, not great.

I did hear one guest at the front desk demand his money back after inspecting his room. I believe the courtyard rooms, and those overlooking the parking lots, that are often offered at bargain rates, are the ones bringing in the bad reviews.

I found the restaurant to be very good. The Disney Transportation to and from stinks.

Would I stay there again? If I was there for a meeting in the building I would have no problem, but it isn't on my list of places I want to stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter