status status status

MichellelovesMickey

Mouseketeer
Why is it that if I book a 3 night cruise I am looked at as "them kind of people" ...... but if I book a 15 night cruise then I am looked at as "them kind of people" .....

I was going to book a 3 night at first in April for my ds-16 and myself but decided to wait till December again and do a 4 night and WL at WDW again. However, one comment made to me was..... "I would do a 7 night rather than a 3 because you just have a different "type" of people on a longer cruise" .....
SERIOUSLY ???? Also on my cruise I just finished on the WOnder I ran into someone at the pool and as our kids played we started talking .... almost an hour went by,, she knew my name, what I did for a living and what my husband did .... after that hour she asked which type of stateroom we were staying in ? Verandah or suite ? I said oh no, we are in an inside stateroom on deck 2 .. I AM NOT LYING, she got this horrified look on her face got up and got her son, who was playing with my son, and said, "honey, let's go it's not proper to play with THAT class of people" YES< I was called people !!!

I felt humiliated and told my 7 year old that some people are just "ignorant" !! BTW .... race was of no issue....I wonder if it would have been though with her , UGH.

I guess what I am trying to say/ask is I don't think there is a difference in anyone who takes a 3 night, 4 night, or a 30 night LOL ... we all just love Disney ... some can get more time off work than others, that's all, we are all just DISNEY LOVERS !!!

Sorry to hear about your experience. At our table on several of the cruises we had folks that were in all levels of staterooms and everyone was great! Unfortunately you ran into one of those kind of people who act this way no matter where they travel and generally are mortgaged and in debt and living beyond their means. As you know DLC treats all guests like guests!

WOW!!! :scared1::scared1::scared1:she sounds really snobby!!!! My brother is getting to the point where he starts to feel that some people are too general public for him, I find this very troubling! I'm glad that lady had fun on her cruise! One should never separate children the way she did. Children do not know what is going on when they are separated from a friend. I hope her child nows better in the future. It's the kind of people that can only cruise in the most luxurious suites to go on a cruise at all. The room is just for sleeping and showering.

Wow, that's terriable. Well I guess you could consider me as "them kind of people" too, because I can't get away from a horse farm for more than 5 nights. Horses don't even know what Christmas is, can you believe it?! LOL! We even work Christmas day. LOL! So, I have only taken one 7 night cruise in my entire life and I'd like to say it was for my honeymoon, but that fell during a horse show, so we only got to spend two nights at Disney. LOL!

I personally would never consider anyone "them or those" kind of people. Heck, it doesn't matter how or why you got on the ship, once onboard in my opinion every one is equal. I believe inside, outside, balcony who cares as long as you get to go on a cruise! Thankfully everyone I have ever met cruising has shared my view.

Maybe you'll be my table mate next cruise, I'll be happy to be your cruise buddy. :)

I'll be in an inside cabin on deck 2 in February! :teeth: A few months ago there was a thread on the Resorts board asking, "Are you a resort snob?" Just as there are people who would stay only at a deluxe resort at WDW, there are people who will book only a suite or verandah cabin on a cruise ship. Some of "those people" also feel it's important to let others know which resort or cabin class they've booked.

I do think that shorter, less expensive cruises over the weekend attract more of a party crowd than longer cruises. I don't know if partyers are necessarily a different "class" of people, or if they just leave what class they have at home when they go on weekend cruises!

Yikes. What a nice lady.

I actually wanted an inside stateroom for our October cruise on the Dream ... but they were all sold out. I thought those virtual portholes would have totally been a hoot with my three kiddos. And, having three little ones, I didn't want a veranda.

Why is it that if I book a 3 night cruise I am looked at as "them kind of people" ...... but if I book a 15 night cruise then I am looked at as "them kind of people" .....

I was going to book a 3 night at first in April for my ds-16 and myself but decided to wait till December again and do a 4 night and WL at WDW again. However, one comment made to me was..... "I would do a 7 night rather than a 3 because you just have a different "type" of people on a longer cruise" .....
SERIOUSLY ???? Also on my cruise I just finished on the WOnder I ran into someone at the pool and as our kids played we started talking .... almost an hour went by,, she knew my name, what I did for a living and what my husband did .... after that hour she asked which type of stateroom we were staying in ? Verandah or suite ? I said oh no, we are in an inside stateroom on deck 2 .. I AM NOT LYING, she got this horrified look on her face got up and got her son, who was playing with my son, and said, "honey, let's go it's not proper to play with THAT class of people" YES< I was called people !!!

I felt humiliated and told my 7 year old that some people are just "ignorant" !! BTW .... race was of no issue....I wonder if it would have been though with her , UGH.

I guess what I am trying to say/ask is I don't think there is a difference in anyone who takes a 3 night, 4 night, or a 30 night LOL ... we all just love Disney ... some can get more time off work than others, that's all, we are all just DISNEY LOVERS !!!

Wow who would have guessed is all I can say besides you sounnd like my kind of people. Hopefully we might see you on a 3 or 4 night cruise since that is time we have to enjoy disney oureselves. They say it takes all kinds of people to fill up a freeway, and here in Houston our freeways are always full. Happy Holidays!

I think it is true that to some extend the shorter cruises do attract a different crowd, but that does not mean that everybody on the shorter cruises is a party animal. We have done a 4 night and a 5 night cruise (more or less back to back) and realized that we love cruising so much that we do not want to get off after a shorter cruise. We have since done a 7 night cruise, an 11 night cruise and a 14 night cruise and the next cruise will be a 15 night cruise. The one after that will be "only" 7 nights and I am dreading having to get off the ship after a week.

We are also part of "those people" who stay in inside cabins and actually prefer them. We have stayed in an ocean view cabin on DCL and in a veranda cabin on another cruise line and we find that we actually prefer the "bat caves" to the point that I have a "do not upgrade" added to my reservations. For us it is also a question of being able to cruise maybe every other year in a veranda cabin or twice a year in an inside cabin. I know what I choose. We are a professional couple. DH is a lawyer and I am a supervisor with a big international airline (and a certified teacher to boot).

Corinna

Wow, that kind of behavior is really astonishing.

Personally I agree with one of the posters above that I prefer to get a less expensive cabin - sadly, by the time we booked the Dream, only verandahs were left. DH thinks I am just being "fake" annoyed about this, but I know it reduces the amount of money we have to spend on other things, and we really don't need the verandah. That said, I'm sure we'll enjoy it.

I also wish we could go on longer cruises, but we have to balance our Disney family time with other reasons to take time off from work - visiting family, covering kids' time off from school, etc. And we took some pretty neat trips this year that had nothing to do with Disney. It doesn't mean we love Disney any less, or are any less pleasant to be around!

We took a 3-night cruise last spring break. I didn't notice any partiers on board -- just regular families like us having fun on vacation.

I booked the 3-night for 2 reasons:

1) It was our first cruise and we didn't want to go on a longer one
2) That way we were able to spend 7 nights at WDW and have fun there, too.

As far as rooms go, I think it's ridiculous to judge anyone by where their cabin is. We had a verandah one simply because we were worried about feeling confined in an inside room and because the breeze and fresh air helps with sea-sickness (which we were really, really concerned about).

People stay in the room that makes them feel comfortable, and book the length of cruise that works with their busy schedule. IMO money and "class" have very little to do with it.:rolleyes:

In well over 20 cruises in everything from a cat 12 to a cat 5, I have not noticed any difference among a "type of people" who book one sort of cabin vs. another....unless maybe it is that some people are not paying for their own cruise. We generally book an inside cabin. If an upgrade at the port is available at a reasonable cost or if the upgrade fairy drops some pixie dust, I enjoy it.

I've only done 2 3 night cruises...one as part of a 4/3 B2B and one as a $99 bounceback offer. I do feel that some of the people on the 3 night cruises are different from those I've encountered on longer cruises. I saw a lot of people who were "trying out" cruising or DCL. There was much more of a "rushed" mentality, of trying to do everything in what is really 2 1/2 days. That's impossible, but they seemed to try and to get frustrated when it didn't work. The other difference was that there seemed to be more "entitlement parents" who felt that the rules didn't apply to THEIR kid. There were a lot more kids trying to invade the "adults only" areas, including a 6 year old in the Quiet Cove pool! Yes, I am the nasty lady who reported this to the Cruise Director.

Please understand, I'm not a kid hater. Mine followed the rules, and I feel that other people's should too.

My point--I saw a lot more of this behavior on a 3 night cruise than I did on 14 night cruises. Interestingly, on the B2B, I noticed a big difference between people's behavior on the 4 night and on the 3 night. Obviously, these are generalizations. I do not mean to imply that ALL or a majority of people on 3 night cruises fit into these behaviors. It only takes a few to give an impression.

Thank you all for the kind replies .... :love:

I didn't let this bother me .... honestly just felt bad for her child :confused:

DH and I went on a RCCL 7 night eastern caribbean in 2006 with a balcony and LOVED IT ... but it was our honeymoon (13 years later LOL) that we never had ... we just enjoyed our time together and had breakfast on the balcony every morning. This DCL cruise with DS-7, we knew we didn't want a balcony and didn't want to pay the extra money for a "window", I wanted my DCL Dooney & Bourke ;) so we got a deluxe inside stateroom (wanted the separated bathrooms) and we LOVED IT !!!!! One morning we woke up thinking it was 6 am and it was 10 am .... it was GREAT !!!
With this cruise I just booked for December 2011 I had the option of Inside Deluxe Guaranty, Deck 2 Oceanview or Oceanview with a Verandah ... well since this is DS-16's first cruise ever, I let him decide.... he wanted a Verandah and wanted AFT ... so that is what he got ... it was 200.00 more but I already got my Dooney & Bourke :lmao: I also am only doing the 4 night again because I want to spend a few nights at Wilderness Lodge at Christmastime again, it is just soooo pretty and gets me in the Christmas Spirit !!

I do think a 3 night on DCL would be rushed .... trying to savor EVERYTHING in such little time..... funny how there seems so much of a difference between a 3 night and a 4 night. I didn't notice a "party" atmosphere on my DCL cruise BUT on Carnival and RCCL 3 or 4 nights, those are definitely the "booze" cruises LOL !!

Thank you all for the kind replies .... :love:

I didn't let this bother me .... honestly just felt bad for her child :confused:

DH and I went on a RCCL 7 night eastern caribbean in 2006 with a balcony and LOVED IT ... but it was our honeymoon (13 years later LOL) that we never had ... we just enjoyed our time together and had breakfast on the balcony every morning. This DCL cruise with DS-7, we knew we didn't want a balcony and didn't want to pay the extra money for a "window", I wanted my DCL Dooney & Bourke ;) so we got a deluxe inside stateroom (wanted the separated bathrooms) and we LOVED IT !!!!! One morning we woke up thinking it was 6 am and it was 10 am .... it was GREAT !!!
With this cruise I just booked for December 2011 I had the option of Inside Deluxe Guaranty, Deck 2 Oceanview or Oceanview with a Verandah ... well since this is DS-16's first cruise ever, I let him decide.... he wanted a Verandah and wanted AFT ... so that is what he got ... it was 200.00 more but I already got my Dooney & Bourke :lmao: I also am only doing the 4 night again because I want to spend a few nights at Wilderness Lodge at Christmastime again, it is just soooo pretty and gets me in the Christmas Spirit !!

I do think a 3 night on DCL would be rushed .... trying to savor EVERYTHING in such little time..... funny how there seems so much of a difference between a 3 night and a 4 night. I didn't notice a "party" atmosphere on my DCL cruise BUT on Carnival and RCCL 3 or 4 nights, those are definitely the "booze" cruises LOL !!

I just finished a three day with by two DD just to get my feet wet now I'm getting ready for my 7 day eastern in May without them!

Three day cruises are great! They have lots of "yella" and "blue" on the buffets (think Randy Quaid in Vegas Vacation), everyone washes their clothes in their stateroom sinks and strings 'em up to dry on the verandahs, the young un's bring their soap and bathe in the pools and the jug and banjo band is second to none. My favorite adult activity is the moonshine tasting where you get to try three different varieties. And the cool thing is, the staterooms are more spacious than my trailer so I feel really upper class on those shorter cruises. ;)

LOL .... that is hilarious ... I like me some moonshine as I sit out on my pateo and wach the staws !!!!! I gess I better change to the 3 niter !!!

I just finished a three day with by two DD just to get my feet wet now I'm getting ready for my 7 day eastern in May without them!

I'm jealous ...a week with NO CHILDREN !!! I gave that up this time to take DS7 on his first cruise, WHAT WAS I THINKING LOL !! I had a blast though and he LOVED the kids club which meant alone time, ahem, for DH and I !!:hug:

That is insane. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I don't play into money as a judge of anything and, even if it did matter, choosing a stateroom does not show how much money a person has.

My DH and I (and kids), could easily afford to stay in a more expensive stateroom and yet we choose to stay in connecting inside staterooms...sometimes on deck 1, the horror!!! We just don't see the benefit of paying more (personal opinion). When we stay at a deluxe resort at WDW, we get certain perks (better pool, better food options, better transportation options). As for a more expensive stateroom....the way we see it, we're all on the same ship with the same ammenities, and truthfully, my goal on a cruise is to spend as little time as possible in my stateroom.

In the end, why I make the choices I make on staterooms, shouldn't matter...because that is just a pitiful way to judge a person.

Jess

I have stayed in Inside, Verandah and 1 bedroom suites on DCL and it does not matter which room I stay in they were all great. I just love being on the ship. I think the lady who was so rude probably lives a miserable life and has few friends because she thinks she is too good. I love Disney and DCL so I will stay anywhere I can afford at the time and if that is an inside on Deck 2 so be it. Just happy to be on the ship.

Three day cruises are great! They have lots of "yella" and "blue" on the buffets (think Randy Quaid in Vegas Vacation), everyone washes their clothes in their stateroom sinks and strings 'em up to dry on the verandahs, the young un's bring their soap and bathe in the pools and the jug and banjo band is second to none. My favorite adult activity is the moonshine tasting where you get to try three different varieties. And the cool thing is, the staterooms are more spacious than my trailer so I feel really upper class on those shorter cruises. ;)

LOL .... that is hilarious ... I like me some moonshine as I sit out on my pateo and wach the staws !!!!! I gess I better change to the 3 niter !!!

:rotfl2: Absolutely the most hilarious thing I've heard (seen) all day. I needed a good chuckle today...thanks for making my day:)

That is insane. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I don't play into money as a judge of anything and, even if it did matter, choosing a stateroom does not show how much money a person has.

My DH and I (and kids), could easily afford to stay in a more expensive stateroom and yet we choose to stay in connecting inside staterooms...sometimes on deck 1, the horror!!! We just don't see the benefit of paying more (personal opinion). When we stay at a deluxe resort at WDW, we get certain perks (better pool, better food options, better transportation options). As for a more expensive stateroom....the way we see it, we're all on the same ship with the same ammenities, and truthfully, my goal on a cruise is to spend as little time as possible in my stateroom.

In the end, why I make the choices I make on staterooms, shouldn't matter...because that is just a pitiful way to judge a person.

Jess

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter