starting school before labor day

all of ulster county ny school's also go back on the 2nd

Just wondering where you got the Ulster County info. I live and teach there and my district hasn't put out next year's calendar yet. I know that a neighboring district has with the early start date. Many, many people are upset about vacations!!

This thread reminded me to go see if they have posted our calendar. We start 8/12.

Our calendar was approved yesterday, so here's the outline:
Teachers report on Thur. and Fri. August 27 & 28, as well as Monday August 31.
Kids start on Sept. 1 for the four day week, then have a 3 day weekend for Labor Day.
We will have Columbus Day and Veteran's Day off, as well as a full week at Thanksgiving (parent/teacher conferences fit in there).
Christmas break: Early release on Wed. Dec 23, back to school on Monday, Jan.4
We'll be off for MLK day in January.
Winter break is Mon. Feb. 15- Fri. 19
Spring break is Mon. April 18- Fri. 22
We are off Fri. May 20 and Mon. May 23 for Memorial Day.
Last day of school is scheduled for Thursday, June 9th, but I am sure it'll be extended to make up for snow days.

I don't live in NY, but I would LOVE it if schools started before Labor Day this year. Va has a law that doesn't allow them to start until after Labor Day unless the school system petitions the state, and ours didn't. So my kids don't go back until the 8th of September. All the private schools and many colleges (including the one that I work for) start the 31st, so we have a week with nobody to take care of the kids. We're scrambling to figure out what to do.

Our calendar hasn't been released yet due to new testing for next year that has yet to be scheduled but our tentative first day of school for students is Tuesday, August 18th with teachers going back we week earlier on the 11th. Schools around here always start back in mid August so nothing has changed for us.

While my heart breaks for my home state given the governor's reliance on tests and drive to damage public ed, the Labor Day thing isn't a big deal. I think it's a good way to ease into things, take a break and than go hard when they come back after Labor Day. We started after Labor Day during construction time and it was awful especially when snow days are factored in. Good luck with everything else though. I do hope Cuomo is eventually jailed (different thread, I know).

Like it's already been pointed out, not all of NY is starting before Labor Day. I'm on LI and some districts and some aren't. My brother is a NYC public school teacher and they don't start until the 9th.

For my district it has to do with the fact that Labor Day is the latest possible date plus Easter and Passover are a month away from each other next year. So instead of just one week off for Spring Break we have Passover week off and then a long weekend for Easter. And then our snow days are built around Memorial Day. I know a neighboring district is starting on 9/9 but their snow days are built into Spring Break.

And which state tests? Regents? Next year's dates don't look any different than this year's. They end on the 4th Wednesday in June both this year and next.

Last edited:
Wow I just looked at the NYC school calendar.. It seems really odd, only Good Friday off for Easter and then a random week off for Spring Break a month later??

I am in upstate NY and while I asked several times- the calendar was only recently published. I had already booked our annual trip and so my DD will miss 3 full days because of going back before Labor Day. It is what it is, thankfully it is just 4th grade.

It's not a random week, it's Passover week.

OP, why do you have 4 days off at Labor Day? Wouldn't that just be 3?

Side note, for those of you who start in September & end well into June, when does your first semester end? Does it carry over after Christmas break?

OP, why do you have 4 days off at Labor Day? Wouldn't that just be 3?

Side note, for those of you who start in September & end well into June, when does your first semester end? Does it carry over after Christmas break?
This year it ended on January 30th

Not sure where you are in NY, but I'm in NYC and we most definitely will not start before Labor Day. As a matter of fact, we don't start until Sept 9th, and have 4 school days off for religious observances in September. They don't even have a full week of school in the month of September!
What four days? And when will you finish for the year, and how many snow days are built in?

just a heads up for anyone in new York school will start before labor day this year. the reason is because of the state exams in june have been moved up a week. I feel bad for people that planned vacation's already. what makes me mad as a teacher is we will be in school for two day's and then have a four day weekend for labor day it's so stupid. but now we will get a full week off in feb for president's week instead of just one day.
This is false. While your personal district in NY may be going back before Labor day, there are others that are not. We're in upstate NY (North country) and we start the 8th. I'm not sure why you'd make a blanket statement that all schools in NY are starting before Labor day, when obviously each school district is in charge of their own schedule.

My son is a Senior this year, so next year's school calendar does not really impact us that much.

We are in SE Mass, and for the first 4 or 5 years of his school career, they always went back after Labor Day. Then it was changed to go back the Weds before Labor Day for 2 days. As a parent, it actually was very nice to have 2 days to ease back in, the next week was 4 days, then they hit the ground running with full weeks on the 3rd week.

The calendar for next year has not yet been published, but this current year they did switch back to going back AFTER Labor Day. In 2015 Labor Day is very late, so I am not sure what they'll do.

I like the start before Labor Day that they do in our town. School starts the Tuesday before and they have Friday off so the first week is only 3 days. Then we have the 4 day weekend for Labor Day so week 2 is 4 days then into the full week on week 3. It works well to ease the kids back into the routine. School usually breaks for the year sometime around June 15-22 depending on how many snow days we have. My one beef with the schedule is the President's Day break in February. A week off in February when the weather is miserable and sometimes snow closes airports really is a waste IMO. I'd rather they skipped the current week off in Feb and week off mid April and just go to a single week off in March.

Our district in PA has gone back the week before Labor Day for a few years now. They end up with 5 in-service days off during the year. I don't understand why they just don't put those at the end/beginning of the year and either let the kids out earlier in June or start after Labor Day.

My kids go back to school on 8/13 :worried:
Every year it gets earlier and earlier.
I don't like it!!! :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter