Star Wars Land at WDW??

They've got to take advantage of Star Wars. Many people go to Universal JUST because of Harry potter and I'm sorry, but Star Wars has a bigger fan base. Still hugely popular after all these years, even with a couple questionable movies. Pixar land (not Carsland) would also be great. And while I'm at it, I loved Avatar but please go back to the original fantasy beasts idea.

While far from being an expert, I read it as "It can't be a location that makes up to 70% by retail or primarily by lodging". Seems to pretty much exclude a resort (primary resource = lodging).

Would be very difficult to get a resort through that clause without some very funky work by the lawyers.

If, somehow, they could make a location that derived most of the revenue from something other than food, lodging, retail, and gaming...it may work. I can't think of a single example where that'd be the case though. (Marvel Office Building? heh)

That's how I read it at first too, but it seemed a little confusing how it was worded.

That's how I read it at first too, but it seemed a little confusing how it was worded.

I believe it is saying-- marvel cannot be used in theme park areas,

and

theme park areas do not include lodging areas,

so

they could build a marvel resort.

I dont see them holding on to Marvel more than 10 years. I just doesnt make good business sense.

I dont see them holding on to Marvel more than 10 years. I just doesnt make good business sense.

It makes sense just fine to Comcast (popular IP on the comparatively cheap)

It makes 1000% sense for Disney.

Strange bedfellows....but it works. Like Pretty Woman

It makes sense just fine to Comcast (popular IP on the comparatively cheap)

It makes 1000% sense for Disney.

Strange bedfellows....but it works. Like Pretty Woman

So your theory is that Disney is keeping part of Universal hostage by allowing them to hold on to Marvel and them not being able to update? By strange bedfellows it keeps valuable property tied up and unable to compete with Disney?

This would be a good theory if Universal can't see it. Right now things are still pretty hot for Marvel. The Spider-Man ride is a lot of fun. Other than that ride everything else at superhero island pretty much sucks. Universal has a one trick pony there and they know it. If they don't know it now then they will know it within a few years. Once attendance starts falling on that part of the park then they will want to deal. Disney will bring over Marvel and do it right.

Marvel is an all you can eat buffet and the food is still hot. Disney is keeping Universal from brining out any fresh or new food. It isn't hard to see this won't last forever.

I don't see Universal holding on to Marvel forever considering they can't update anything there.

There is nothing in the contract the precludes them from doing updates. Spiderman for example had a major upgrade recently.

From the contract:

"This Marvel-themed complex would be designed in coordination with Marvel, and all major elements and themes would be subject to Marvel’s reasonable approval."

"Whenever Marvel has “reasonable” rights for rejection of approval hereunder, the basic criteria to be used by Marvel may include inconsistency with (i) basic story line, (ii) the powers, (iii) basic personality traits, (iv) physical appearance (including clothing or costume), and/or (v) living habitat or environment relating to such character as portrayed in Marvel’s exploitation of such character in comic books or other products for the particular time period being depicted by MCA. "

There is nothing in the contract the precludes them from doing updates. Spiderman for example had a major upgrade recently.

From the contract:

"This Marvel-themed complex would be designed in coordination with Marvel, and all major elements and themes would be subject to Marvel’s reasonable approval."

"Whenever Marvel has “reasonable” rights for rejection of approval hereunder, the basic criteria to be used by Marvel may include inconsistency with (i) basic story line, (ii) the powers, (iii) basic personality traits, (iv) physical appearance (including clothing or costume), and/or (v) living habitat or environment relating to such character as portrayed in Marvel’s exploitation of such character in comic books or other products for the particular time period being depicted by MCA. "

just wondering, where did you find the contract?

Universal will probably keep Marvel things at the Florida park until it stops being profitable for them. As long as Disney keeps successfully pushing the Marvel brand to the general public, there will be popular brand recognition at Universal. As many posters have pointed out, it works both ways.

But Universal knows, it can't last forever. Just today, they officially announced a Simpsons section addition to Universal Studios Orlando.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/28/simpsons-theme-park-to-open-in-orlando/

If it's successful, they'll may duplicate it to LA as well. Eventually they may expand other sections.

Maybe in 2015, Avengers 2, bombs, or doesn't do as well as expected or Maybe the general public is all comic booked out. Or Jurassic Park's reboot is successful, Universal then has a popular franchise to expand upon as well. So they'll need room and may find that it's better to cannibalize the Marvel sections than to build brand new ones.

Just like there is Pixar Place at DHS and has oodles of potential for additions, I'd love to see a LucasFilm land where both Starwars and Indy were expanded upon. Indy at DLCA is one of our favority of all Disney attractions and i would love to see both franchises given their proper dues within the park. They could even do something cool with American Graffitti

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter