Standing in line alone

most of the people in the lines are as bored as you are.... so if you are too shy to talk to them - don't be the least surprised if someone starts talking to YOU....

I will talk to anyone and everyone..... :rotfl:

anyway bring a book, magazine, IPOD, radio, CD, games, whatever....

be sure to look out for the singles ride...

but I hate to stand in long lines myself (a long line is over a half hour) that is what fass passes are for,......

oh the half hour part - sometimes the line says half hour - it is not - lots of times it is 10 minutes or less.... :rolleyes:

spiceycat said:
most of the people in the lines are as bored as you are.... so if you are too shy to talk to them - don't be the least surprised if someone starts talking to YOU....

That's so true! I love talking to the little kids. Just ask a bored looking child what his favorite ride was, or just how he/she is. Chances are, you'll get an earful. Sometimes more information than their parents wish they'd repeat! And since the time goes by faster for everyone, you'll probably get some grateful looks from parents.

I haven't had any problems or embarrassment standing in line on my own. As someone said above, it isn't a social occasion. I people-watch or study my guide or make plans for the rest of the day.

I too have been to Orlando quite a few times in the past 2 years for business and am obligated because of my disney addiction to go to the parks. Standing in line alone is easier than eating alone, in my opinion. Even when I go with friends or family inevitably I end up alone in line for Mission Space or Aerosmith's roller coaster. GO! If I can have fun alone anyone can!
Tell us what you decide to do :)
Enjoy those job perks, you can get reduced price tickets at most of the hotels in Orlando for both Disney and Universal.

lila said:
I also usually bring a book, and an ipod.

I was going to say...
I'm not a shy person and rather chatty- so I've never had this problem of avoiding talking to others in line when I go solo. LOL however, my suggestion would be, if I were shy and/or didn't want to talk, to bring something that has my attention- be it a book, or something else OBVIOUS that you're keeping busy (ie: some type of music in your ear that the might not see the earpiece won't serve this function- they might not see that and then not only talk to you but then wonder why you didn't respond... if you don't hear them because you're listening to music LOL). Most people wouldn't bother you if look busy reading a book or something of that nature.

I think the IPOD is a great idea. I would especially put Disney music on the IPOD. Maybe even some music off of the rides (from a Music from the Park CD or something). I think that would really up the Disney experience. :rolleyes1

I love travelling solo to Disney and especially standing in line. That's where I get to do my own little weirdly informal ethnographic studies (as I like to call people-watching). If you see someone staring at you while you're in line, that's probably me! ;)

My moods while standing in line run the gamut from chatty to intensely shy, but I've always felt comfortable in line. When I'm feeling a little "interior" (my variation of anti-social), I bring a book or even a journal in which I record my experiences. But once I'm in Disney territory I usually find myself so very happy to be there that I'm more than ready to strike up conversations. And I've met sooo many interesting people on my own there--from all over the country, all walks of life--and so friendly and generous. I can't tell you the number of times I've been invited to join someone else's party/lunch. I usually turn them down, as part of what's so attractive about going solo is being able to set my own schedule. Still, I'm always soooo touched by their invite.

I agree with WillCAD, that it might reflect more anxiety about being alone in general than about standing in line alone. Trust me, WDW is the perfect place to get over that. Once I had the experience of setting my own schedule, experiencing the World as I saw fit, I got a real jones for it. In fact, my partner has a conference in San Diego over Easter 2007 and I've already told him I'm planning on flying out to CA with him and spending my time at DLR....happily alone!

Being single and not always having the luxury of being with friends or other amusement park geeks, having to go to parks solo on a fairly regular basis is a fact of life.

I'll admit I often unintentionally evesdrop on conversations going on around me amongst other parties (sometimes there really is nothing better to do). If I'm feeling particularly brave and well-informed, I might even tell someone from such a party that I was overhearing them and offer up a comment of my own. I'd say at least 70% of the time I feel like I've been helpful or welcome by the end of the exchange.

Of course, if I'm REALLY bored, I've been known to go deep into amusement park geek mode, look at my watch, time the dispatches of whatever ride I'm waiting for, and calculate average hourly capacity at the present time. Alas, aside from being super nerdy, it's rarely an option on most Disney rides as many of the loading areas are secluded until one is nearly ready to board. Too much information? :)

-Jason

harrycalder said:
Being single and not always having the luxury of being with friends or other amusement park geeks, having to go to parks solo on a fairly regular basis is a fact of life.

I'll admit I often unintentionally evesdrop on conversations going on around me amongst other parties (sometimes there really is nothing better to do). If I'm feeling particularly brave and well-informed, I might even tell someone from such a party that I was overhearing them and offer up a comment of my own. I'd say at least 70% of the time I feel like I've been helpful or welcome by the end of the exchange.

Of course, if I'm REALLY bored, I've been known to go deep into amusement park geek mode, look at my watch, time the dispatches of whatever ride I'm waiting for, and calculate average hourly capacity at the present time. Alas, aside from being super nerdy, it's rarely an option on most Disney rides as many of the loading areas are secluded until one is nearly ready to board. Too much information? :)

-Jason
WOW This sound like exactly what I do! :thumbsup2 Usually, someone in line will say something about the parades/fireworks etc. and I will jump in, and ask have you seen such and such, or what do you think of? And I really have a great time giving out tips! ;)

There are so many advantages to visiting WDW solo that I hardly know where to start. I look forward to my next solo trip (see dates below), because ...

No waiting for others to: (1) decide what to do next, (2) take photos, (3) rush right by the street performer you would really like to watch for a while, (4) take a rest room break, (5) mill around and study the map, (6) stop to trade pins, (7) use up too much time eating lunch, (8) stop for every character that pops up, (9) stop to press coins in some silly machine, (10) walk super fast when you are really worn out, (11) stop at every gift shop in the park, (12) insist on taking a break at the resort in the middle of the day, (13) not be ready to go in the morning, resulting in increased crowd level by the time we arrive, (14) stopping to rest when you are ready to move on, (15) decide what to order at a counter service eatery.

And many of the advantages to traveling solo are mentioned in the other posts in this thread.

I could go on for a long time; but you get the idea. As far as standing in line, no problem at all for me. I usually enjoy the folks in line, except for the occasional kid who thinks he can get to the ride faster if I would only bump into the person in front of me. LOL

Enjoy.

Karnak said:
There are so many advantages to visiting WDW solo that I hardly know where to start. I look forward to my next solo trip (see dates below), because ...

No waiting for others to: (1) decide what to do next, (2) take photos, (3) rush right by the street performer you would really like to watch for a while, (4) take a rest room break, (5) mill around and study the map, (6) stop to trade pins, (7) use up too much time eating lunch, (8) stop for every character that pops up, (9) stop to press coins in some silly machine, (10) walk super fast when you are really worn out, (11) stop at every gift shop in the park, (12) insist on taking a break at the resort in the middle of the day, (13) not be ready to go in the morning, resulting in increased crowd level by the time we arrive, (14) stopping to rest when you are ready to move on, (15) decide what to order at a counter service eatery.

And many of the advantages to traveling solo are mentioned in the other posts in this thread.

I could go on for a long time; but you get the idea. As far as standing in line, no problem at all for me. I usually enjoy the folks in line, except for the occasional kid who thinks he can get to the ride faster if I would only bump into the person in front of me. LOL

Enjoy.

That's it, I'm disinviting DH from the next trip! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter