Standing in line alone

lovethemagic

Earning My Ears
I am going to Orlando for business in mid-June and am considering staying in town for a few days to visit the parks. I often travel solo on business and have gotten used to eating alone, but the part I'm afraid I'll feel strange about is waiting in lines alone (I realize that even if I come to the parks by myself I'll have plenty of company in June!).

I tend to be on the shy side so I'm not likely to strike up conversations with the groups around me in line. Have any other solo travelers experienced this? Did you feel awkward standing in lines by yourself? Any tips?

Spent 9 days at WDW during spring break. My first trip and it was solo! I do love travelling alone but lines can be weird. My best advice is to avoid them! I followed Tour Guide Mike's advice and during a very busy season, never waited more than 15 minutes in any line...usually much less! People were very friendly and I did strike up some great conversations. I also used the time to look for hidden mickeys, take photos, plan my next ride, call home, etc. Flew by! And it was also time to drown my water bottle empty again! Go for it and have fun!

Oh, I forgot....another solo advantage in line was I often got on faster as a solo rider! And cast members were great about not squeezing me in with strangers. They made my trip great!

i often do things alone - including MK and epcot a couple of years ago. i don't feel awkward at all in lines, as i'm there for myself. maybe you can use a cd player or something to pass the time if there are any lines for you.

You shouldn't feel strange about standing alone in the line - you'd be surprised how many "single" riders there are - whether folks are vacationing alone or not. I'm often on my own on the rides - when my DH and I are at WDW, for about half the rides, I go by myself because he doesn't do roller coasters (or anything that moves faster than 2 mph - ha) or he gets motion sickness. So he takes a book and finds a nice place to read and I ride to my heart's content. I think a lots of riders are in that boat - so you shouldn't worry about being the only single in line!

I haven't done WDW solo (Yet! I am later this year) but I often split up from family because they don't like fast rides and do them alone. To be honest, the first few rides I do feel a bit awkward, but after while not at all!

I spend the time taking in the surroundings, going through checking and deleting digital photos, looking at the park maps to plan where to go next. Its nice to have a few minutes to think. If you get bored there's always people watching! Other groups in the line are infinitely interesting!

Have a great trip! :sunny:

If you're a kind of shy you always can take the single riders line. But always watch take an eye on the waiting times. Sometimes the regular waiting line is shorter. Just step into the line and enjoy. There is a lot to see during your wait, 'cause Disney had themed his waiting lines very well.
Once in a line you will discover waiting alone is not so bad, because there are many friendly people waiting in the line to to have a little chat. Sometimes it even ends up in riding the ride together :).

So, don't be shy, just step into the line!

The only time I felt strange in the nine days I was solo was the line for Peter Pan's Flight! I don't think people notice you're solo -they assume you're either with the people ahead or behind you - if they even notice. I still contend that nobody cares. Anyhoo....that ride made me feel like a bit of a suspected perv - then they teamed me with a mom and her toddler and I appeared to be the gramma - ha. None of it matters.....everyone is on their own trip. You'll be glad you did it! :cheer2:

My very first WDW trip was solo -- I was a flight attendant and had a two day layover in Orlando.. a trip to Disney was necessary!! At first, I was really bummed to be there alone. All of my Disneyland/Disneyland Paris trips were with my family or a group of friends, so to be alone was a little weird. But after a while, I had SO MUCH FUN! I realized I could go on whatever ride I wanted, whenever I felt like it, without someone whining about it. I could eat whatever junk I wanted for lunch without someone making comments. Getting on rides was so much faster as a single rider, and getting through the park alone was great without having to worry about losing people in the crowds.

You'll have a wonderful time.. really, talking to people in lines won't be as hard as you think! :)

Even when I'm with other folks, they don't like to ride the rides I do, so I stand in line alone. I enjoy it, time to just be quiet and 'relax'. I'm the sort of person who just doesn't care what someone else thinks-bet ya there's alot of folks with their families, groups who look at us single riders longingly-wishing they were alone also!

Standing in line solo beats standing in line with husband and kids who constantly complain about standing in line! Trying to keep them entertained is harder IMHO. Enjoy the solitude :thumbsup2

I've never had any awkward or uncomfortable situations standing in lines alone, except for those situations that would occur no matter how many people were in line with me (like kids behind you who continually move up right on top of you, or people with huge backpacks who swing them around like weapons, or deliberate line cutters, or odoriforous people with less-than-stellar personal hygene).

Sometimes I strike up conversations with people in lines, other times I just wait patiently and look at my digital pics or drink from my water bottle. Once in a while I even make trip notes, though I usually prefer to sit down someplace for that.

Standing in lines alone is no different than doing anything else alone. Standing in lines is not an inherently "group" activity, any more than waiting for your food at McDonalds or waiting to check out at the grocery store.

What you are really nervous about is not "standing in lines alone", it is simply "being alone", which aflicts many people, particularly those with families. Some focus on a particular aspect of a solo WDW trip and think it's the "worst" part (travelling alone, checking into a hotel alone, staying in a hotel alone, touring the parks alone, etc.) But it's not really that aspect that's making you nervous, it's the basic concept of being alone.

Once you get past any fear or nervousness you might have about doing things on your own, without spouse, kids, parents, or friends to slow you down, then you can really relax into a solo WDW trip and start to enjoy the wonderful differences.

Standing in line for Splash Mountain alone is no different than standing in line alone at the post office. You're just in a more pleasant surrounding, and have a more pleasant reward at the end of the line.

havent done a total solo trip perse, but I have been down on many trips where I have headed off to the parks by myself. While sometimes it might a bit odd, especially if its a long slow moving line, usually it doesnt bother me and while i am on the shy side I have still managed to have some nice conversations with those in line.

One of the things I do enjoy about being the parks alone is that you aren't waiting for anyone. When I go with family they dont tend to move all that quickly. ;)

I went to Universal Studios Hollywood alone and had a great time. I was also worried about standing in line with no one to talk to just because of the boredom. I brought along a book to read and this really helped the time pass (not to mention allowing me to avoid uncomfortable eye contact!). Being a single rider generally means not waiting quite as long anyway. The most embarassing thing was when I saw the Xena and Gabrielle characters. Xena is my daughter's favorite show ever, so I wanted to have a picture taken with them to show her. I felt pretty silly as an adult woman by myself, but it wasn't that bad--Hercules used my camera to take the photo, and my daughter was suitably impressed when I got home! Have fun on your trip!

snoozn

I often go alone. When I am in lines for attractions I am almost always willing to talk to people head of or behind me. Often I can get into interesting conversations.

I like to use the time to people watch! Even if you're to shy to strike up a conversation, it's a fun way to pass the time. (You might be surprised how easy it is to talk to people when you're all doing something so fun!)

Since most of my family does not like intense rides, I have to usually wait by myself in lines at normal amusement parks. At Disney parks, they can handle most rides. But even at my age, 14, I like striking up conversations with other groups. You can get to know a lot. Plus it helps the time go by if you're not just waiting with nothing to do.

I'd suggest that you could get the book of the hidden mickeys it is a great way to help pass the time. Another thought would be a WDW guide type book. You will be surprised how many people in line will want to share their disney knowlege with you and if they don't then you have some good reading to help plan your next move in the park.

Just go and enjoy!! :thumbsup2

LUV4TINK said:
I'd suggest that you could get the book of the hidden mickeys it is a great way to help pass the time. Another thought would be a WDW guide type book. You will be surprised how many people in line will want to share their disney knowlege with you and if they don't then you have some good reading to help plan your next move in the park.

Just go and enjoy!! :thumbsup2

That is a great idea about the hidden mickey book! I will have to pick that up for myself! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter