St. Maarten Butterfly Farm Tour -- Stroller Friendly?

All American

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

I'm looking for input regarding the Butterfly Farm Tour in St. Maarten from those who have done this with small,, stroller-age children. Is this a shore excursion where we would be able to use our Maclaren or would it be better left on the ship?

Initially, I thought it would be a good idea to bring it for our 3-year-old but then realized that it may not be practical since we have never been. I don't know if there are lots of stairs to climb or if it's just an easy walk. :confused3

We have 4 weeks to go, and my mind is starting to race with questions. Thanks for any input on the subject.

We did this last summer and the farm itself isn't really navigable with a stroller. You might want it when you stop in town but the butterfly farm is a fairly short stop and not much walking involved!

I have to disagree, we did it a few weeks ago and found it pretty stroller friendly. It was a short walk from the ship (5 minutes or so), there were no stairs, the ground in the garden was mostly even. You just have to be careful not to run over any butterflies... but you have to do that while walking too.

We did it with my daughter in a wheelchair with no trouble. It should be the same with a stroller.

We didn't utilize a stroller, so I suppose I'd rely more on those who have experience! We were there in August and it was pretty crowded inside. I just didn't think there would be room to get by people with a stroller, too. Some places we were kind of squeezing past other people.

That said it isn't a lot of walking at the butterfly farm so I'd guess your 3 year old would be fine. You still might want it for the trip to the bus or for the in town walking.

Thanks so much for everyone's take on the subject. We'll just walk around the butterfly farm and save the stroller for shopping. :thumbsup2

Has anyone gone with older kids (12, 10, 6)? Is it a short visit? Boring for older kids? What exactly do you do there? Just see the butterflies and they land on you, etc?

I know the OP got her question asked.

Just wanted to add, our local butterfly gardern does not allow strollers in it as there is a great chance of the butterflies being accidentally injured by the wheels.

Also if your child can walk around and crouch low to see the butterflies-- they will become much more engaged and the photo opportunities are so much better.

Last tip, wear a flower colored shirt. It increases your chance to get landed on.

Pale Yellow, pale pink and pale blue have been successful for us.
Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter