St Maarten and St Thomas with no excursions booked

kingdomkeeper

Mouseketeer
what did any of you do ? We are sailing in 4 weeks and have not booked anything ,we are not into snorkeling nor do we want to go to the beach . When we did the Western cruise we enjoyed just getting off the ship and exploring by ourselves. In the past we have rented a car in Cozumel and done a loop around the island then a little shopping, rented a taxi type mini bus around Grand cayman with guide . How easy is it to do this kind of thing on the Eastern ports ? , are things close to the ports any suggestions and or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There will be plenty of tours available on St Martin right at the dock. There is tons of info on cruisecritic dot com about St Martin and St Thomas and various tours. There are many recommendations for one guy in particular that is not affiliated with the cruise lines.

We have been on the Eastern itinerary twice. The first time we took a ferry to Anguilla from St. Maarten and had a local give us a Taxi tour around the island (very interesting) and then just walked around looking and shopping in St. Thomas. The second time we went on our own to the butterfly farm in St. Martin and at St. Thomas the kids didn't even want to get off the ship, so DH and I went shopping for a short time on our own and enjoyed the rest of the day aboard the Magic.

Truly if you enjoyed yourself just walking/riding around on the Western, I think you'll be fine doing the same here. Most of the excursions seem to be beach-oriented (we also did not care for that as we live in a beach town). It's no trouble to get a taxi right at the dock, and as suggested by bwkwpw there are some good options available for an island tour if you want one. :)

Whatever you choose, have fun!

We just got off of the eastern Jan 16-24. We used Bernards Tours in St. Maarten and will use them again in a year when we go back. They were AWESOME!!!! For $35pp they bring you shopping, to a place to see sea urchins, to a nice beach(we were a group of 8 with 4 children so they took us to a remote beach where everyone was in swimsuits rather than "european style sunbathing") Which didn't really much matter to us, but I think it was nice that they considered it. Then we went to Maho Beach where the planes fly directly over your head. Then back for a little more shopping, and back to the port. And the van was stocked with beer, rum punch, water, soda, and juice for the kids. Even while we were at the beach, we could go back to the van for a refill!:goodvibes It was great. I would highly recommend them. The website is www.bernardstours.com Oh, and if there's enough of you and you want to say bypass the beach altogether, they would probably tailor the tour to your liking.

Thats the one that everyone talks about. Bernards Tours. I have heard nothing but great things.

Brian

In St Thomas, my youngest DD and I spent the day on at Megans Bay. On a side not this was due to her quarantine, she could leave the ship but not on a Disney Excursion.

We were the from 8:30 till 3:30. They have a gift shop, resturant, rentals for beach chairs, paddle boats, snorkling equiptment. It was a fantastic day to spend on one of the worlds top 10 beaches relaxing, swimming and swimming.

cheers :goodvibes

Thank you all for the info, I spent a few ours on cruise critic yesterday reading about the port and that was a great help , I now have a better idea of what to do and expect now . I think we are going to take the water taxi and just putter around by ourselves but i am still interested in what you all found to be most enjoyable. (by the way we are 2 adults and 2 teen boys 15 and 14) . Thanks again.

Go to Orient Beach. Your teenagers will love it!:rotfl2:

Completey Joking!!!!!!!!:rotfl: :lmao: :laughing:

We've found the most relaxing thing to do in St. Thomas is to take the tram up the hill (is it Paradise Pt?) and sip Bushwhackers while looking out over the entire harbor.

Actually go to Orient Beach - or at least an area that you can see it from (up high on one of the hills) - it is a very pretty beach / bay area. I have not been to Margot on the "French" side but from pictures I have seen and talking to people who have gone there on their own - they really liked it.

In St Thomas, my youngest DD and I spent the day on at Megans Bay. On a side not this was due to her quarantine, she could leave the ship but not on a Disney Excursion.

We were the from 8:30 till 3:30. They have a gift shop, resturant, rentals for beach chairs, paddle boats, snorkling equiptment. It was a fantastic day to spend on one of the worlds top 10 beaches relaxing, swimming and swimming.

cheers :goodvibes

sorry just wanted to check as this sounds really nice - did you mean Magens Bay??:thumbsup2

I can't wait!

I called today to see what movies will be playing on the ship. DD10 is excited because they will probably be showing the Jonas Brother's concert in 3D! :scared1: :lmao: Maybe she will let me leave her to watch it without me.
:lmao:

I can't wait!

I called today to see what movies will be playing on the ship. DD10 is excited because they will probably be showing the Jonas Brother's concert in 3D! :scared1: :lmao: Maybe she will let me leave her to watch it without me.
:lmao:

I am on the same cruise as you, do you remember if High School Musical 3 will be playing.

oh no:eek: , my teen boys will be mortified with the jonas bros and hsm3. Does anyone know what else is showing ?. Thanks.

Anyway back to the original topic , what are the best things to do at these ports when you have no excursions booked ? .At the moment I am leaning towards just trying to pick up a sight seeing tour when we get to port , some shopping and hopefully a visit to the beach near the airport (the name escapes me right now).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter