SSr will be hard to resell

well...I am unsure about the whole thing, I have no experience with it. It looks like a good deal, not sure its worth the investment to buy a OKW resale with lotsa banked points or go with SSR....not sure of best deal anymore. the more i look the more confusing it gets:headache:

Agree to all posts, if it turns out to be a great investment then that is only a bonus. Buy it for you and your future vacations.
ALSO:
After I purchased my SSR points, I was chatting with my guide and stated that I had considered buying a resale with banked points. They stated that if it had a decent amount of banked points, it would probably not pass ROFR because right now Disney was buying up contracts with banked points. If their statement was true then that is something to consider. Does the time your purchase closes matter? Closes in approx. 30 days with SSR, 7 weeks through resale.

Really? Well, I think I'm gonna' pull out all my teeth because I believe in the Tooth Fairy.

Well, I've finally achieved full Dis status. I ended up on the wrong side of a Rinkwide one liner!!!!!!!!

Thanks for making my day Rinkwide.:thumbsup2

There are 38 available resales for SSR on the TSS site. While that seems high compared to several months ago, there are 33,805 club members at SSR as of December 6, 2006. (that leaves 33,767 left to go).

If it's a mistake, you're in good company.

Nice point and thanks for the research. I love being a SSR / DVC owner. I must admit that there are times I question my purchase, although if I were offered a full refund for my purchase I WOULD NOT SELL! If it is a "bad" investment it is nice to know that I am in good company!

haha..your right..i get headaches from comparing resorts, prices, years left, resale prices, locations, ....feels like im getting a stomach ache blah

Do it in a structured fashion. List out all the possible attributes important to you and rate them (it will be subjective - decor is big for me, and others don't care). Maybe perceived resale value is an attribute you care about (wasn't for me, but we are all different). Then rate the resorts against the attributes (once again, it will be subjective - I like the location of the Epcot resorts, but other people think SSR has a superior location). Multiple the weight by the rating, add up the numbers and see what falls out. If what falls out makes you go "Really!" you probably weighted something too high or forgot an attribute that is important to you. If you catch yourself cooking the numbers so that a particular resort looks really attractive, you have your answer.

After I purchased my SSR points, I was chatting with my guide and stated that I had considered buying a resale with banked points. They stated that if it had a decent amount of banked points, it would probably not pass ROFR because right now Disney was buying up contracts with banked points. If their statement was true then that is something to consider.
In my experience, this is a scare tactic that some guides use to try to steer people away from the resale market. My guide used the same line on me, but I purchased resale anyway and had no problem getting through ROFR with a BWV contract with banked points. Many people here have purchased "loaded" contracts (all previous UY points banked, all current UY points available, all of the next UY's points available) and sailed through ROFR. With few exceptions, as long as the price is right, the deal will pass. I don't see any evidence that banked points matter in Disney's decision process.

I don't see any evidence that banked points matter in Disney's decision process.
Now I'm just a casual observer, and it's dangerous to draw conclusions based on a few data points, but from what I see, Disney doesn't place much value on banked points at all. You'll see full or even banked contracts passing ROFR at 5$/point above the price stripped contracts are being ROFR'd.

You see the same thing in the marketplace in general - a lack of appreciation of the value of banked points. The asking prices for full/banked contracts just aren't that much higher than the asking prices for stripped contracts.

Again, just my casual observations. Hopefully some of the folks who really study this stuff can comment....

...I was chatting with my guide and stated that I had considered buying a resale with banked points. They stated that if it had a decent amount of banked points, it would probably not pass ROFR because right now Disney was buying up contracts with banked points. If their statement was true...
I've never actually met my guide but I like to imagine him as a little wooden boy with a long nose.

Let me point out that it's possible to get most of the savings of DVC without owning DVC. In many cases, for far less dollars that one that actually owns. It certainly depends how you use it, how frequently you would go, when and what unit size, your risk tolerance and what you would do if you didn't own DVC. It seems many here feel the only choices are owning or paying rack rates for a DVC unit or a deluxe room. That is certainly not the case for many people if they would just explore their options and become educated. I'd estimate that close to 50% of those on this board that are owners actually pay more in the long run than they would for the same exact stay assuming they would save and invest the difference on any given trip. But as others have pointed out, it's not just about money though anyone that doesn't at least consider the REAL costs is being foolish.

Awww...disguy...don't make it harder than it is.

Ask yourself this question..."If DVC changed the rules tomorrow and I had to always stay in my home resort for every vacation for the rest of my life, I would be happy to always stay in _____".

Fill in the blank and buy there. It'll hold it's value pretty well, regardless of which home resort you have. The other consideration is contract length...if you're reasonably young, that extra 12 years that you will get on SSR and any resorts that come after it can be tempting.

DH & I bought in OKW about 10 years ago. There was only OKW and BWV to choose from back then, and a lot of folks told us we were nuts for not picking the Boardwalk location. OKW was a bit cheaper per point at the time, we like the size of the units, we like the relaxed feel, and so far, whenever we have wanted to stay at the BWV, we have been able to, so it's all good!

...After I purchased my SSR points, I was chatting with my guide and stated that I had considered buying a resale with banked points. They stated that if it had a decent amount of banked points, it would probably not pass ROFR because right now Disney was buying up contracts with banked points.

Passing ROFR depends a lot upon how one has the resale agent structure the contract. There are tricks one might utilize.

If Disney thinks there isn't enough difference between the contract price and the price they'll sell those ROFR'd points to a member as an add-on, then the contract has a greater chance of passing.

Disney is a business afterall, and they have to cover their burden and cost with that price difference on these transactions.

disguy,

I think you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what's a good "investment" because any timeshare is NOT a good investment and you should not buy with the intention to sell at a profit.

You should buy DVC because you know you want to visit Disney every year for the forseeable future and you know you want to stay on property in a deluxe resort.

You should not buy a contract at a resort you don't like or don't plan to use.

You should not buy DVC if you can never plan more than a few months ahead of time and don't like SSR and OKW - because those are the resorts you'll probably find with vacancies.

I agree 100%.

Some people get caught up in the moment at WDW (it is hard not to) and wind up with a big Timeshare contract and find that paying a monthly note and yearly dues are not all it is up to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter