SSR room - a hot mess UPDATED WITH PICTURES

Just out of curiosity, did you have any success contacting Eli? Travis' position may be equivalent to Eli's position. :confused3 When I received my compensation, Eli was working with the resort manager so I'm not sure who made the final authorization for my compensation. I do know that the hotel manager actually came to look at my room a few minutes after I went to the front desk to complain about the room issues. My issues were then validated when the manager saw the room in person. They really stuck the boot up their own rear end when they switched me to another room and it was in horrible shape too. :scared1: After we switched to another room we had waited about 3 hours which took time away from our vacation time that could not be replaced. We decided to stay in the 2nd room and receive compensation so we could begin our vacation. Anyway, I know you're hoping for all of your vacation points to be returned and I feel you absolutely deserve that after the issues you experienced. If it doesn't work out this way, try looking at the positive. I think you were offered a little over 100 points and $400 credit. That combines to around $2,000 in value. Hopefully, that can be used for a future vacation which will be much more rewarding and will create some family memories. Best wishes. :)

I did call the number and left a message. I got a call from Travis, but nobody else.

I am still waiting (now 2 days later) to find out of Brian is going to give me all my points back, or not. Travis said he would call when he got an answer from Brian.

It's hard to believe that my children are out-growing Disney. We used to own a lot of points over several contracts, but we have been slowly been selling them off. We are down to one lonely BWK contract.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking it may be time to sell BWK, too. First it's one resort, then the others follow suit. A stinky unkept room is not my idea of a vacation!!!

Keep us posted.

This is so disturbing and disgusting!!!:mad:

I am new to DVC and own at AKV....correct me if I am wrong, but aren't our dues used to fix rooms that are damaged or need refurbishing???never mind the whole smell issue, but the looks of those tiles is unnacceptable. It looks like a 5 year old child replaced what was broken and then proceeded to damage other tiles.

I just find it appalling that our money is not being used to fix problems that are obvious in the rooms. Housekeeping upon cleaning rooms should be looking for broken tiles and other broken or smelly issues (I was a housekeeper during college for one summer at a Best Western and they were very picky about room standards). I don't understand how that room would have remained in inventory based on that bathroom alone!

Also it is sad that there was so much miscommunication amongst housekeeping management. That room should have either been fixed upon your complaint or they should have given you another room altogether.

I am happy that you had a decent trip other than your room, but it is unfortunate that you had to be put in such a dumpy room to begin with.

Gosh, I feel bad for you! Being an owner at SSR myself, seeing this makes me a little worried. Especially since I have a co-worker who's trying to talk her DH into buying in to DVC as well.

I hate to hear that Disney hasn't been more responsive to your situation. I can only imagine how frustrated you are with all the run around that you've gotten.

I certainly hope that this gets resolved for you, and soon. Please keep up posted!

Hugs!:grouphug:

Eli was very helpful to me in resolving an issue we had at OKW back in late October. He said he was calling from the DVC Executive offices, I think. He was friendly, responsive and proactive and made me feel like my concerns were being addressed not just in regards to my situation but for future DVC guests as well.

The Executive offices and Member Satisfaction are the same group. As with all things Disney there is no standard for the way issues are addressed and compensation awarded. You will always be told that they are "sorry that this happened" and "thank you for bringing it to their attention".

One CM will give back points and a much worse issue won't be compensated at all.

I will say that for the first time on our recent stay at 4 different DVC resorts we had no major issues with the rooms. I don't know if things have improved or if we were just lucky, but I like it. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

Got a call back and they are not refunding anymore points to me. They feel that 1/2 the points back and $300 was enough.

I disagree, but what can I do? I mean, where do I take it from here?

I am just really disappointed that this happened and that this is how they deal with things. Like I said, they told me the room had been taken out of rotation so clearly after seeing my pictures they saw what serious issues the room had.

But apparently only refunding me 1/2 my points back should satisfy me.

Got a call back and they are not refunding anymore points to me. They feel that 1/2 the points back and $300 was enough.

I am just really disappointed that this happened and that this is how they deal with things. Like I said, they told me the room had been taken out of rotation so clearly after seeing my pictures they saw what serious issues the room had.

I was hoping you would get all the points back but at least you didn't come out empty handed. Try to put the past in the past and enjoy your future vacations. If you should ever encounter another DVC room issue, I would write and call the DVC Member Satisfaction Team while you are at the resort. Best wishes. :)

I was hoping you would get all the points back but at least you didn't come out empty handed. Try to put the past in the past and enjoy your future vacations. If you should ever encounter another DVC room issue, I would write and call the DVC Member Satisfaction Team while you are at the resort. Best wishes. :)

I agree. Just put it behind you and enjoy your future vacations.

That really looks bad. I'm sure it was asked on here, but if they can't keep up with SSR rooms-how do they ever manage BCV (even older and such high occupancy) for example? :confused3

And isn't SSR still for sale, not sold out? If somebody stays there to try it out-then sees this, why would they buy?

If you're up for it (and I understand if you're not at this point!!), I would suggest you write to the new head of DVC. Make it a "sharing my recent experience" type letter, outline the problems in bullet format so it's short and sweet and attach the pictures. You may not receive any more compensation, but I do think it's important for the folks in charge to hear from us when something goes this wrong and is greeted with indifference by cast members.

I would be happy with what you received. We have had a much worse room and received nothing and they wouldn't move use because we were DVC.

I would be happy with what you received. We have had a much worse room and received nothing and they wouldn't move use because we were DVC.

Umm.....that's probably why you got shafted ...because you were happily accepting of it.

Personally, I am not much into the compensation thing. I don't want compensation - I want things to be right when I've chosen to take my vacation, so DVC, get it right now.

WOW!! I've never had anything close to these kind of problems with DVC and we have been doing the DVC thing for 19 years. Maybe I've just been lucky

Umm.....that's probably why you got shafted ...because you were happily accepting of it.

Personally, I am not much into the compensation thing. I don't want compensation - I want things to be right when I've chosen to take my vacation, so DVC, get it right now.

We weren't happy accepting anything. We talked to CM's, a Supervisor, the Front Desk Manager, and we were told that the GM was off property. I called Member Satisfaction and latter wrote a letter to Disney. When you are told by everyone that they are sorry but there is nothing that they can do and that is the only room available because their policy is to not move DVC Guests to non DVC rooms.

They worked on the problem for 3 days which disrupted our vacation but since they hold all the cards, at some point you have to decide if you go home early, go to another hotel somewhere and pay OOP, or just deal with it the best you can.

There have been other times when we were credited $100 because our room had not been cleaned when we checked in.

We weren't happy accepting anything. We talked to CM's, a Supervisor, the Front Desk Manager, and we were told that the GM was off property. I called Member Satisfaction and latter wrote a letter to Disney. When you are told by everyone that they are sorry but there is nothing that they can do and that is the only room available because their policy is to not move DVC Guests to non DVC rooms.

They worked on the problem for 3 days which disrupted our vacation but since they hold all the cards, at some point you have to decide if you go home early, go to another hotel somewhere and pay OOP, or just deal with it the best you can.

There have been other times when we were credited $100 because our room had not been cleaned when we checked in.

Why do you say they hold all the cards?

My option would be to find another hotel after giving them a reasonable time to fix things.

In the OP's case, they had what sounds like a health issue with the toilet.

I had the same issue at VWL - unseated toilet - it was fixed on request within a couple of hours. Water was also leaking all over the floor in my case. They used the towels in the room to sop it up and had new towels delivered to us.

I can tell you I would not have spent the first night in that room with the smell, if it were so permeating that I could not enter the bathroom and use it.

On the other hand, I am not unreasonable. The tile repair and corner tile cleaning would not keep me from sleeping. I would of course address that and insist on it being cleaned. I've been at a DVC in the past where they regrouted a tub while I was there because of it looking like the grout in the picture.

Connorelvismom - I want to tell you I so can relate to these issues. it is so frustrating to feel like you have been wronged and have no resolve to your satisfaction. I would think that if you had pursued to the degree that you have, you deserve all your points back. What knuckleheads. Dont they realize how bad word spreads like wildfire? I wish you either good luck in getting all your points back or peace in moving on after this bad experience. Take care.

OP- seeing as there have been over 12,600 views of this post you might want to email a link of this thread. ;). I would say that while I realize that they feel this issue is resolved you wanted them to understand the bigger picture of the need to take care of these types of issues in a faster and more appropriate manner.

One would think that DVC/Disney can understand the power of social media. Just my thoughts.

I agree, the issues seem horrendous, but putting on a non-biased hat here, since the OP made the decision to continue to habitate the room and did not threaten to abandon it and take the issue up legally when the resort would not fix the problems asap, then the resort is owed points for the nights it was used. A refund of half the points plus an additional $300 on top of that seems more than fine to me.

If I was given a room that smelled like a sewer I would have been camped out at the front desk with my kids and all our luggage until they found suitable accommodations for us.

OP- seeing as there have been over 12,600 views of this post you might want to email a link of this thread. ;). I would say that while I realize that they feel this issue is resolved you wanted them to understand the bigger picture of the need to take care of these types of issues in a faster and more appropriate manner.

One would think that DVC/Disney can understand the power of social media. Just my thoughts.

Believe me Disney is always aware of these threads. The OP in the minds of many was fairly compensated, best to move on, I don't think there will be further restitution.

And for the sake of fairness and no reflection on the OP, this is one side of the story. I do know that if you truly want something handled to the satisfaction of the guest it has to be done while there. Yes that is time consuming, and its your vacation but once you leave, you truly lose your advantage and the advantage goes to Disney.

I would be glad to have gotten what the OP did and move on.

Believe me Disney is always aware of these threads, which is why I will never post a problem.

While I am aware that there are follks at Disney who monitor the various message boards (I was a mod on another site) I think sometimes the "right" person needs to see the implications of a dissatisfied guest.

I am curious though, why would you NOT want to post about a problem? Disney can't fix what they are not aware of. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter