SSR Point Chart Comparison

FWIW, DVC is not alone in the weekday/weekend disparity.

At Hilton, the weekend days are twice the points of weekday days, and the weekend includes Fri, Sat, AND Sun.

At Hyatt, a 3-day weekend stay varies from 1 1/2 times to over 2 times the number of points as a 4-day mid-week stay.

It would be interesting to be in the meeting that determined the point structure for each location. Could in be that when planning SSR that they are encouraging a little more of the short distance visitor to go there on weekends. It has the advantage of parking in front of unit(a la OKW,i think) and it is closer to Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island. They could be tying to bolster those areas also giving the long distance traveler the option to use alittle more points and be closer to the parks(BCV,VWL,BWV). Just some thoughts from one who knows very little.

No, I don't think so. I think it is simply trying to correct for less than optimum occupancy.

I just hope running aroung in your underwear in an OKW GV screaming "I got this for 36 points per night" doesn't become to commonplace.....all this time, I thought I was the only one!!!

Bill. Thanks for putting this together.

Regarding the weekday/weekend reallocation, I appreciate the way DVC is trying out this next scheme, i.e. use this new resort as a pilot, to see the effect on bookings. This eliminates the disruption to existing members, yet gives them a chance to test it out. I would expect them to run with this for at least a couple years at least, before assessing the impact.

Bottom-line: Someone in DVC management is not happy with the status quo. I think there's a good chance that we're going to be hit with a point re-allocation in a few years.

Actually, although it looks like there has been some "rationalisation" of the difference between weekend and weekday use. If you compare what is being charged for SSR and what is the current rate for BWV (prefered) VWL and BCV it seems the price changes are all remarkabley consistant in percentage terms 90-91%. I think it's more likely DVD have decided they want SSR to be in the range of 90% of the cost of BWV and any minor anomalies are more to do with having to work with whole points costs.

Using the BWV (pref) VWL + BCV as 100 these are the percentages that SSR will be charging Weekday first(Weekends) in brackets

Season-..Studio----------1 bed--------------2 bed--------------GV--------

Ad.........91.6 (90.9).....90.9(89.4)..........90(90).............90.5(90.4)

Choice..91.6(91.3).........91.6(89.4)..........90.6(90.1).......89.8(89.6)

Dream..92.3(89.6)..........89.3(89.3)..........91.1(90.2)......89.8(89.8)

Magic...92.8(90.6)...........90 (90)...............90 (90.6).........89.8(90)

Prem.....89.5(90.7).......90 (90.6)............90(89.6)...........90(89.9)

Sorry if that's not as pretty as Caskbills very pretty graphics.

Vernon. You are correct. Looking at it from another angle, the ratio between weekday and weekend point rates, on average is the same across SSR, BWV(p), VWL, and BCV.

Only for OKW and BWV(s) have lower ratios, meaning there is an even greater disparity between weekend and weekday.

Weekday:Weekend Point Ratio
2-B/R SSR OKW BWV(s) BWV(p) VWL BCV
Average 0.508 0.417 0.441 0.508 0.508 0.508

This chart averages the point ratio across all seasons, for 2BR units.

Originally posted by dvc_john
FWIW, DVC is not alone in the weekday/weekend disparity.

At Hilton, the weekend days are twice the points of weekday days, and the weekend includes Fri, Sat, AND Sun.

At Hyatt, a 3-day weekend stay varies from 1 1/2 times to over 2 times the number of points as a 4-day mid-week stay.
I think every system that allows less than a full week and works on points has a discrepancy for weekends. The ones I've looked at vary from 150% for Fri/Sat nights to 500%. Some require a full week stay for the highest demand. BVTC/DVC have a fiduciary responsibility to even out the usage. If the usage is not pretty close and they don't fix it, they are putting themselves at risk legally.

I wonder, if the problem is locals doing short weekend trips, which disrupt the 5 days standard, might it make sense to make a 'full week rate' which is lower than the (5 x Sun-Thu) + (2 x Fri-Sat) straight calculated weekly rate.

e.g.
Take a 2BR in dream season at OKW. Sun-Thurs. it's 27 point/night, Fri & Sat, it's 64 points/night. Weekly, that comes to 263 points.

If Fri & Sat were also 27 point/night, the total would be 189 points/week, but we'd have weekenders, which are the problem here.

So, split the difference, (189+263)/2 = 226 points/week, or 45 1/2 points per night on the weekends, ONLY if booked as an entire week.

The effect might be good for DVC for the following reasons.

Occupancy, at these more 'reasonable' rates might encourage more people to take 7 day stays. Overall, this would encourage larger single stay point usage, and larger initial point purchases.

The rooms themselves would be producing revenue, vs. staying vacant, like Richyams suggested.

The point difference between the straight calculated rate, and this weekly discounted rate, would 'eliminate' the need for DVC to fulfill these points which are accounted for in the total point/year count for each resort. DVC could then 'sell' these points as inventory for cash.

Now, I am not sure if any of this is legal, but it is just something I've been curious about. I, for one, would love to do longer stays without having to worry about the hassle of booking the weekends for cash.

Originally posted by Namdnas
I wonder, if the problem is locals doing short weekend trips, which disrupt the 5 days standard, might it make sense to make a 'full week rate' which is lower than the (5 x Sun-Thu) + (2 x Fri-Sat) straight calculated weekly rate.

e.g.
Take a 2BR in dream season at OKW. Sun-Thurs. it's 27 point/night, Fri & Sat, it's 64 points/night. Weekly, that comes to 263 points.

If Fri & Sat were also 27 point/night, the total would be 189 points/week, but we'd have weekenders, which are the problem here.

So, split the difference, (189+263)/2 = 226 points/week, or 45 1/2 points per night on the weekends, ONLY if booked as an entire week.

The effect might be good for DVC for the following reasons.

Occupancy, at these more 'reasonable' rates might encourage more people to take 7 day stays. Overall, this would encourage larger single stay point usage, and larger initial point purchases.

The rooms themselves would be producing revenue, vs. staying vacant, like Richyams suggested.

The point difference between the straight calculated rate, and this weekly discounted rate, would 'eliminate' the need for DVC to fulfill these points which are accounted for in the total point/year count for each resort. DVC could then 'sell' these points as inventory for cash.

Now, I am not sure if any of this is legal, but it is just something I've been curious about. I, for one, would love to do longer stays without having to worry about the hassle of booking the weekends for cash.
None of this would be possible. There are a couple of ways they could rebalance the points but the most likely one is to raise the weekdays and lower the weekends. The other way they could rebalance would be to lower one season while raising another like last time.

IMHO one of the main reasons Disney tried to "break the mold" of timeshares was the perceived inflexibility of the "whole week" idea. All Disney's promotional material makes great play on the fact that the "beauty" of DVC is the system by which stays are booked on a day to day basis and the flexibility that allows those buying in.
By making it a daily rate it appealed to those people who visit WDW for a number of short breaks, be that long weekends or midweek breaks. To fundamently change that premise would give many of the people who bought in on that understanding reasonable cause for complaint (and possibly litigation). IMHO you can not change to a system where, for example one guest is paying 40 points per night for a weekend unit, while another guest is paying 30 points for the same unit. You can argue until you're blue in the face that the person paying the "extra" 10 points isn't being discriminated against, but human nature being what it is, there will be plenty of people howling from the rafters that they have been "lied to" and that Disney "moved the goal posts". When their individual situation is concerned people rarely see the big picture and there would be plenty of lawyers, IMHO , willing to take a pot shot at Disney ifthey tried to put in such a fundimental change to their program.

Namdnas, unless I'm missreading you, you'd like to give someone a unit, that currently costs 263 points per a week, for 226 points for that same time. Where are the extra units going to come from , should everyone take up that offer, when they want to spend the "extra" 37 points at a later date. That idea just isn't going to fly, Disney has 1) no reason to give the units away cheaper and 2) it wouldn't have the extra capacity if usage turned out to take up the offer in a major way.

OK, I relent, you make some good points & I too could envision a pile of lawyers eager to sue, when you put it that way.

I was just trying to figure a way to make weekends more affordable without increasing weekday costs, and disincenting 3 day weekend stays.

One last thought on it.

If Disney in fact cared about this as mch as we do, they could have written the charts/program for SSR owners to try this, as they would have this opportunity only at the 'start' of a resort, when they drafted the original legal contracts.

So, it's likely that the current system simply works for their intent.

They clean house every weekend, and make a little extra cash on the units which do book for cash.

I've never given the weekend point values much thought. All of my trips are always wrapped around the weekend, I've tried to get enough points as to not have to worry about it.

Although, it will appreciate any point savings that Disney wishes to pass on to me. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter