SSR Lovers and Owners Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are just under 2 months out from our first stay at SSR! We are excited but nervous as well with a new resort.

I am traveling with my family - DH, DS 6 and DD almost 3 at time of trip. My in-laws, low 60's and this is their third trip with us, they are in relatively good shape and my FIL is in fantastic shape.

I am reading through this thread and am a bit overwhelmed with which section I should request in SSR. Once I think I have it narrowed down I read more and get :confused3!

We have stayed at AKL twice (once in villas and once in Arusha/Jambo House) and last year we stayed at BLT. I felt like I could easily find which section best suited our needs there and we had great locations each time.

So we would like to be close to transportation, child-friendly pool and able to get food fairly quickly. We will have our car as we drive down from NC. We have never been to DTD but do have ressies there one evening. But I don't think that is overly critical.

Hit me with your suggestions please.

Thanks so much!!!
Check out this post for my thoughts on the "which section is best" question.

There is a map of the resort as well as a run-down of pros & cons for each section of the resort. There's also a comparison of the different pools.

Check out this post for my thoughts on the "which section is best" question.

There is a map of the resort as well as a run-down of pros & cons for each section of the resort. There's also a comparison of the different pools.

Thanks so much! I printed that out a few days ago and everything is just swimming around in my head.

Are they really strict with the 48 inch height restriction for the splash ground? I see that being a potential problem with my 6 year old, just at 48.5 inches. Can't really use the ride height restrictions with him as he doesn't ride much. LOL!

ARe there elevators for every building?? we usually stay at OKW and there are only a few buildings with elevators. We don't mind the hike up the stairs (3rd floor is my favorite). :cheer2::cheer2:

15 days till check in!! our first stay at SSR!!

Are they really strict with the 48 inch height restriction for the splash ground? I see that being a potential problem with my 6 year old, just at 48.5 inches. Can't really use the ride height restrictions with him as he doesn't ride much. LOL!

They weren't when I was there in May. But if older/larger children was bothering or endangering the preschool / toddler set the lifeguards would intervene (if asked.) There is a difference in kids playing with their younger sibs with their parents watching and a group of unsupervised preteens taking over the slide from the babies.

Oh my gosh, two days without a post in the SSR thread. I'm going through withdrawl!

Oh my gosh, two days without a post in the SSR thread. I'm going through withdrawl!

So, here's a question for you. What is the fewest number of days you would book a THV for? With one day, you're dependent on previous family check out time and Mousekeeping before checking in. But, I don't want to use all my points in one stay. Decisions.

So, here's a question for you. What is the fewest number of days you would book a THV for? With one day, you're dependent on previous family check out time and Mousekeeping before checking in. But, I don't want to use all my points in one stay. Decisions.

I don't think I'd do the THVs for less than three or four nights. What else were you thinking of booking? or would it just be for a weekend?

I don't think I'd do the THVs for less than three or four nights. What else were you thinking of booking? or would it just be for a weekend?

Same here. We did five nights when we stayed that was nice for me, but someone else in our party thought it was too remote. She likes browsing the gift shops on the way back from the parks or dinner.

I would also make sure that one of the afternoon/evenings you plan some BBQ grill time and adult beverages out on your patio.

Same here. We did five nights when we stayed that was nice for me, but someone else in our party thought it was too remote. She likes browsing the gift shops on the way back from the parks or dinner.

I would also make sure that one of the afternoon/evenings you plan some BBQ grill time and adult beverages out on your patio.

I haven't quite decided how many people I 'need' to take with me to justify a THV. Can't wait to stay in one, they look so nice and relaxing.

I haven't quite decided how many people I 'need' to take with me to justify a THV. Can't wait to stay in one, they look so nice and relaxing.

There would only be the four of us, so this is a complete over usage of points. Also, since we own at SSR, BWV, & BLT, I would either borrow SSR points or have to book at 7 months. I was thinking about offsetting the THV points with a studio at OKW for a few more days.

We are renting a car (great specials at Dollar.com when I clicked on City special.) I want to find the addresses for each parking area for the parks, the airport, and Sea World. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can get this information? Thanks!

The addresses don't come up if you google them? Are you using a GPS? if so you should be able to put the destination right in and it'll find them.

There would only be the four of us, so this is a complete over usage of points. Also, since we own at SSR, BWV, & BLT, I would either borrow SSR points or have to book at 7 months. I was thinking about offsetting the THV points with a studio at OKW for a few more days.

I'm just thinking you'd be so unhappy leaving after one night because you'd want more. I thought they were quite hard to get at 7 months, might be better to borrow to gurantee it.

OKW looks like a lovely place, my first stay will be in December. Fabulous use of points as well.

Looking for expert SSR input. We usualy stay YC/BC but have an upcoming trip to SSR to mix it up a little. :cool1:

We like to take a morning walk with coffee when at Disney. Assuming we started at the central shop area (with freshly acquired coffee in hand) any favorite routes for walking? At YC/BC we do the Boadwalk loop -- about a mile, but longer is fine too.

I realize this is harder since we do not know where our room is! :rotfl:
But we do not mind ending up where we started.

TIA!

Looking for expert SSR input. We usualy stay YC/BC but have an upcoming trip to SSR to mix it up a little. :cool1:

We like to take a morning walk with coffee when at Disney. Assuming we started at the central shop area (with freshly acquired coffee in hand) any favorite routes for walking? At YC/BC we do the Boadwalk loop -- about a mile, but longer is fine too.

TIA!

The morning walk with his coffee mug is my DH's favorite thing to do at SSR. We usually request Congress Park and have gotten that request every time. So he starts out there and walks to Artist Palette to get his coffee (yes, I know there is a coffee maker in the room, but it's his thing he loves to do) From the Carriage House, he walks around the middle lake area until he is back at the High Rocks pool area. From there if he has time, he will walk to OKW and return through DTD. If he doesn't have time (which means I actually woke up early), he takes the path to DTD to the West side, walks through a deserted DTD (except for the other walkers and runners) to the marketplace and then returns to Congress Park on the path along the waterway. When my DDs and brothers come with us, they run almost 2 miles around SSR. There is a map that shows the different paths, also a website that shows the different paths for walker and runners. Here's a link to a suggested running path which stays in SSR. http://disneyrunning.com/joggingtrailss.html

If you take the walk early, my DH says you will see plenty of critters and enjoy the early morning sounds. Now he's asking me when our next WDW trip is!!;)

Have you ever stayed in a THV before? If you're not sure you'll like them or not, I can see doing a night just to feel it out. The bedrooms are small, and the bunk beds can really throw you if your group doesn't have any kids to use that room. Some people just don't like them because of the isolated location or the fact that they're in a wooded wetland. ("Wooded wetland" sounds so much better than "swamp," but basically means the exact same thing.)

When's your trip? If you're looking to check off the box that you've stayed in a THV, 2012 is the time to do it. They're no longer the same great deal in 2013 when the point charts change. A SSR two-bedroom will be cheaper than a THV starting in January.

What's the alternative if you don't get the THV? Would you do a 2 bedroom or something smaller?

I personally fall into the points cheapskate category. When it's just the two of us, we're always in a studio. We save the points to get larger rooms when we have family along, so I probably wouldn't consider getting a THV even for a night if something smaller would allow my points to go farther. :-)rotfl2: I once booked a one-bedroom for the two of us because we had some extra points to use. It literally kept me up that night, and I had to call first thing in the morning to change it to a studio. We did a second long-weekend trip that year to use the extra points.)

kikq -- excellent help. Thanks very much!! Deserted DTD and critters is exactly what we need. Perfect. :)

Have you ever stayed in a THV before? If you're not sure you'll like them or not, I can see doing a night just to feel it out. The bedrooms are small, and the bunk beds can really throw you if your group doesn't have any kids to use that room. Some people just don't like them because of the isolated location or the fact that they're in a wooded wetland. ("Wooded wetland" sounds so much better than "swamp," but basically means the exact same thing.)

When's your trip? If you're looking to check off the box that you've stayed in a THV, 2012 is the time to do it. They're no longer the same great deal in 2013 when the point charts change. A SSR two-bedroom will be cheaper than a THV starting in January.

What's the alternative if you don't get the THV? Would you do a 2 bedroom or something smaller?

I personally fall into the points cheapskate category. When it's just the two of us, we're always in a studio. We save the points to get larger rooms when we have family along, so I probably wouldn't consider getting a THV even for a night if something smaller would allow my points to go farther. :-)rotfl2: I once booked a one-bedroom for the two of us because we had some extra points to use. It literally kept me up that night, and I had to call first thing in the morning to change it to a studio. We did a second long-weekend trip that year to use the extra points.)

I've got the next 40+ years to get this trip in. We're at BLT this October. It is just the 4 of us, dds are 10 & 8 and even though they each have their own bedroom, one has bunk beds, and they share them from time to time. I like the swamp (I'm from KY) and we only do parks every other day at WDW.

Like you, I am points cheapskate. I try to just use my years allotment without borrowing. We are able to get two trips in each year. But, if I use them all for THV, then I'm at one trip for the year. I was thinking about doing a split stay there, maybe 2 or 3 nights with a couple other studio days at OKW. I know it's just an excessive amount of points that I don't need to use, but I think staying at a THV would be fun.

I've got the next 40+ years to get this trip in. We're at BLT this October. It is just the 4 of us, dds are 10 & 8 and even though they each have their own bedroom, one has bunk beds, and they share them from time to time. I like the swamp (I'm from KY) and we only do parks every other day at WDW.

Like you, I am points cheapskate. I try to just use my years allotment without borrowing. We are able to get two trips in each year. But, if I use them all for THV, then I'm at one trip for the year. I was thinking about doing a split stay there, maybe 2 or 3 nights with a couple other studio days at OKW. I know it's just an excessive amount of points that I don't need to use, but I think staying at a THV would be fun.
You could invite the in-laws. That would fill a few more beds and justify using the points. Everybody's happy... exept you, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter