SSR-especially Treehouse Villas

mmtska

I dreamed of a wish and it came true!
I've done some searching and haven't really found much on this DVC resort. I know a lot of places have fact sheets, but nada on this place. Is there anyone that can tell me a little bit about it? I've looked at some pics and stuff, but I'd like some experiences :) There are 7 of us (at the moment-we keep adding people) and we're staying in the Treehouse Villas. I'd like to hear about the resort in general, but I'd love to hear about those! They look so neat!

Also, we have the dining plan because none of us really want to cook. We're considering just breakfasts. Would Garden Grocer make sense, or just go ourselves in the nearby area? TIA!

Have not stayed in one yet but I have seen one. They are really nice, great furnishings, huge deck, BBQ grill at each unit.

There is a small pool at the end of the area, nothing special but usually not busy.

There is a boat dock about midway which will take you to Downtown Disney.

The only complaints I have heard from anyone is that you have to take the shuttle bus over to SSR and transfer to a park bus, making for a longer bus commute.

If you get a house at the end of the lane you could walk over to SSR and catch the bus.

As to SSR, love it, love it. Quiet, lots to do, great location to Downtown Disney, centrally located to everything at Disney so no bus ride is horribly long.

If you have your own car I would do my own shopping. There is a Winn Dixie and Publix really close to SSR.

Any other questions, ask.

Would we be able to park over in the SSR area to catch a bus? I'm glad to hear there are stores close to there! That'll help a lot. I think my friend Mel, will be spending most afternoons over by the pool and bar in the SSR area lol, so we can always grab her on the way to a park ha!

We're heading down to SSR and are staying at the Treehouse Villas in less than 3 weeks. I had the luxury of going down a couple weeks ago for work and was able to walk around the resort and check it out. If we can get one of the units close to the walk to SSR - we'll just do that versus take the internal shuttle to one of the main SSR bus stops only to then board another bus (makes more sense).

The pool by the Treehouses is "ok" ...nothing special. But the pools by the Grandstand and Carousel are really not that far of a walk. We'll be spending some time at those for sure!

I can't wait!!!!!!!:cool1:

Check out the DVC boards for more info on SSR and the THV.

Would we be able to park over in the SSR area to catch a bus? I'm glad to hear there are stores close to there! That'll help a lot. I think my friend Mel, will be spending most afternoons over by the pool and bar in the SSR area lol, so we can always grab her on the way to a park ha!

Yes you can, just please park away from the buildings so that guests staying in those rooms can park closer to thier rooms.

If you want to access the main pool, there is parking down near the tennis courts that lead directly to the main pool.

We are DVC members our home resort is SSR and we stayed there in June. We had our two bedroom for the stay and we did speak to someone that was staying in the treehouse villa. They said it was okay but without a car it was a little difficult to get around especially when they needed to get to the main house for food.
He said the pool was just okay and sometimes felt like being in a bathtub with the water being so warm he had children so he would take them to the other themed pools but need to use the internal shuttle to do so.
And as far as the internal shuttle, there is one that goes into the treehouses but you need to get off at a bus stop,then board a bus for the destination you are going to.
We are a family of six and although the treehouses look neat we will always stay in our two bedroom we just enjoy the relaxation it brings.
Hope this helps and have a great trip..

We loved the treehouse villa's and they are great. As already said, there is a quiet pool there, usually isn't used much and it does have a hot tub.

If you have your own car, I would definitely do my own shopping...it is very close to SR535 and there is a Winn Dixie a couple blocks away or a Publix/Super Walmart pretty close as well.

You could drive over to SSR and take busses from there, I would park in Grandstand area, it is the first stop for the busses, so you can get a seat. If you are near the South bus stop, it would be easier just to walk over to Grandstand, it takes about 5 minutes. Since you are staying at the resort, you also get free parking at the parks, so you could even just drive yourself.

If you do plan on driving yourself, request near the North bus stop, it is closest to the entrance/exit to the THV's, so you won't be stuck behind busses trying to get out, etc.

We stayed in the THV mostly on points in Sept of 09 and loved our week so much that we booked another cash week for Feb/March of this year. Loved them!

Personally I wouldn't stay there without a car but we did end up taking the bus back to the resort a few times when we split up after lunch at a park. Usually there was a THV bus waiting or just pulling up to the Grandstand stop when we arrived.

I agree about just making breakfast in your villa although the walk from our villa to the main building was less than 10 minutes.

We were not at the "top" of the area but didn't find waiting for the occasional bus to be onerous.

Loved the boat to DTD. Spent more time at DTD than usual because it was fun to take the boat and a pleasure to not look for a parking spot.

As Sammie said, the villas are beautifully appointed.

Have fun. :cool1: If you have room for one more, let me know! :rotfl:

We stayed there in May and I'm glad we tried it for the novelty but we won't be staying there again. We were in a villa close to the entrance, almost as far away from Grandstand as you can get.

The villas themselves are gorgeous but they just aren't right for us.

We are pool people. The pool there is the same as a backyard pool, something everyone where I live already has. So we had to either drive, take a very long hike, or wait on a bus to get over to Springs to use a decent pool.

The living area, not including the big dining table, is very small and congested. We enjoy sitting in the living area and it isn't really set up for that at the THV.

Maybe due to the time of year, we had a terrible issue with mosquitos. We were really looking forward to BBQs and sitting on the deck playing cards. The mosquitos drove us inside.

Like I said, the villa itself is gorgeous. We have stayed at every DVC resort and my family was unanimous that this was their least favorite location but that the villa was one of the nicest.

We will be at THV in a couple weeks for 2 nights, so I am really interested in this thread. I am one of those people that goes in with low expectations and is generally quite surprised. This will be our first time at THV, so we have done a little research on it. Quite frankly, DS and DD are looking forward to the bunk beds most of all. We will only have 4 in the villa, so I think we will have plenty of room. We will have our van (as we always do at WDW), so transportation should not be a negative.

I did have a question...Is it true that most everyone requests a villa near the grandstand on the water? Are there any better locations to request and why?

I will be keeping up with this thread to see if any other THV experts weigh in.

Chris

Personally I wouldn't stay there without a car but we did end up taking the bus back to the resort a few times when we split up after lunch at a park. Usually there was a THV bus waiting or just pulling up to the Grandstand stop when we arrived.

The THV shuttle runs every 10 minutes vs normal busses running every 20 minutes.

Everyone is different, some people wouldn't want to go to WDW without a car because of the busses. For me, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again without a car, just knowing it might take a little extra to get around . They are so unique and I enjoyed them that much.

Now, I won't only stay at THV, but I think depending on the group size/make up, they are awesome. Our friend her and her baby got the second bedroom and my two kids and her older one slept in the bunk room taking turns with one on the floor. That left me and my wife with our own room. Our next trip with friends will work out the same way....so THV's we will be going ;)
The living area, not including the big dining table, is very small and congested. We enjoy sitting in the living area and it isn't really set up for that at the THV.

It is interesting you had this take on it. When we have stayed at Villa's we feel very cramped, the dining room table is pushed up against the living room area so you can't really spread out. We were at THV with three adults and 4 kids under 5, so it was nice that the kids could be at the dining room table coloring while the adults were in the living room area.

Yes there is less room between couch and tv, that seems to be space we don't use much. I could even see if you there were 4 or 5 adults it could be cramped, but I think any of the living areas are...

We will be at THV in a couple weeks for 2 nights, so I am really interested in this thread. I am one of those people that goes in with low expectations and is generally quite surprised. This will be our first time at THV, so we have done a little research on it. Quite frankly, DS and DD are looking forward to the bunk beds most of all. We will only have 4 in the villa, so I think we will have plenty of room. We will have our van (as we always do at WDW), so transportation should not be a negative.

I did have a question...Is it true that most everyone requests a villa near the grandstand on the water? Are there any better locations to request and why?

Chris

A lot of people request water views (just because it is a water view and this is just a request everyone makes) and near grandstand so you can walk to the bus stop. I requested near grandstand path and it wasn't granted initially, but the desk CM hooked us up and got our villa moved. While there I realized I should have just requested near the south bus stop. The numbering system at THV isn't simple because of the way it is set up and I think a room assigner has a hard time knowing what you want, etc. There are basically two locations in THV North and South. The South section is near the south bus stop, grandstand walkway, boat dock and pool. The north section isn't too far away from the boat dock that you can't walk to it, but it can make the trip to grandstand further. But the North side is great if you have a car, because it is near the entance/exit. The roads are narrow and one way, while there are a lot of turnarounds in the loop, you could end up by the south bus stop and have to follow a bus out of the resort vs being near the exit and getting out quick to drive yourself.

I just think you will have a better chance of getting a room requesting "south" or near the "south" bus stop vs the path. There are only two villas on the path to granstand, so they may misunderstand what you want and just figure if one of those two aren't available they will stick you wherever. (also the water views are in the south section)

Maybe due to the time of year, we had a terrible issue with mosquitos. We were really looking forward to BBQs and sitting on the deck playing cards. The mosquitos drove us inside.

We had no problem with insects at all either week. I read one other report of problems with mosquitoes. As I recall, that person stayed at THV last summer shortly after it opened. I wonder if our different experiences are due to the scheduled sprayings....or however they contain the insects.

Chris

From reading the DVC boards, it seems different people request varied locations. Some near the entrance, some near Grandstand. Some near the pool, others with a water view or golf course view.

There are two walkways from THV to the main part of SSR. One leads to the Grandstand. The other crosses the canal and hugs the golf course on the way to the main building or to DTD.

Everyone is different, some people wouldn't want to go to WDW without a car because of the busses. For me, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again without a car, just knowing it might take a little extra to get around . They are so unique and I enjoyed them that much.

It is interesting you had this take on it. When we have stayed at Villa's we feel very cramped, the dining room table is pushed up against the living room area so you can't really spread out. We were at THV with three adults and 4 kids under 5, so it was nice that the kids could be at the dining room table coloring while the adults were in the living room area.

Yes there is less room between couch and tv, that seems to be space we don't use much. I could even see if you there were 4 or 5 adults it could be cramped, but I think any of the living areas are...

I agree that everyone is different. That's why I said I personally wouldn't stay there without a car. I wouldn't mind the buses for the parks as I thought it fairly efficient. However, we often drive to meals on and off property so would want a car for that. Of course that is true for us at every resort. Completely agree with how unique they are, too.

We also didn't find the living area cramped at all. The layout is like a great room and lived large for us. Now if we had wanted to watch a lot of TV together, it might have felt different.

Our first THV stay was immediately followed by a one BR at BLT. I couldn't get over how much more comfortable the chairs at THV were compared to those at BLT....for me at least.

mmtska, as Deb said you can find more reviews on the DVC miscellaneous forum. Dave who has a name like BirdsofPrey had an extremely detailed report a year or so ago...maybe 14 months?

Chris

I made no requests. Our villa was a water view but up against so much vegetation that we could not see water from either the balcony or any of the windows facing the water. We could hear the boats going down the waterway but we could not see them. From riding the boat, I could see that some of the villas must have some pretty amazing water views.

The distance between one end and the other is not that far. Being close to Grandstand would save only a few minutes with walking.

And to the PP who commented on living area size, yes we were 5 adults in the villa. There was no way to sit in the living area facing each other for conversation. The area between the sofa and TV was so narrow that there wasn't even any way to move the chairs to make it work.

Thank you so much for all of this info!! With the number of people coming and the sleeping issues, I was just happy to get a relatively cheap option! A grand villa is just way out of my price range!

We will have 2 cars at least there so at least we will have both options open. I'm so happy to hear people enjoyed them! I attract mosquitoes even if no one else is getting bitten so I'll just have to suck it up as usual lol.

And thank you for the links! I'll be sure to check them and the DVC board out.

Thank you so much for all of this info!! With the number of people coming and the sleeping issues, I was just happy to get a relatively cheap option! A grand villa is just way out of my price range!

We will have 2 cars at least there so at least we will have both options open. I'm so happy to hear people enjoyed them! I attract mosquitoes even if no one else is getting bitten so I'll just have to suck it up as usual lol.

I am the same way with mosquitos, but didn't have any issues in late August. Be aware that there is limited parking at the THV's and they want you to park your second car at Grandstand. When we were there most of the people in our area were using busses, so there were a few parking spots available.

You'll only be able to park one vehicle at the THV. The other will have to be parked at the Grandstand.

Hmmmm. Maybe we should rent a big van lol! Thanks for that info :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter