Sprint/nextel sad

WOW I am amazed read back please I said the warehouse people entered a wrong serial # of a broken phone being sent back in which in turn turn our phone off. NOTHING I DID once again read back I did tell them what happened when when i brought phone infor repair.

This is only your opinion as to being a mistake!!!! Also your comment about not being lawsuit worthy who are you to say?

I can understand anger and grief and your extreme upset at having lost the voicemail but how can you call it anything but a mistake? Otherwise you are claiming they maliciously and intentionally deleted the voicemail with the intent to cause you distress and harm because they knew what it was and what it meant to you. The people you told what happened to and the people who entered the wrong code are not even the same people. Do you really think that is what occurred or is it that you are angry and upset and need someone or something to vent your anger towards?

I think you would likely be hard pressed to find legal counsel that would be able to justify a lawsuit in this instance. Nobody can stop you from pursuing such a thing of course. It is highly likely there is nothing they can do. In many instances when certain actions occur there is no retrieving lost data and that may be the case here. They should break your contact with no penalty but beyond that I doubt they have much in the way of recourse either.

I don't think anyone here has been insensitive to you..just realistic in regards to your legal recourse and the reality that it was an error..an error that caused you additional hurt and grief but an error all the same. You have received IMO nothing but support and respect for your loss.

WOW I am amazed read back please I said the warehouse people entered a wrong serial # of a broken phone being sent back in which in turn turn our phone off. NOTHING I DID once again read back I did tell them what happened when when i brought phone infor repair.

This is only your opinion as to being a mistake!!!! Also your comment about not being lawsuit worthy who are you to say?

Right. Nothing you did caused the problem - but entering a wrong serial number, especially being off by one digit as you've described more than once, is the perfect example of a mistake. Human error. Not intentional. An accident.

As for being lawsuit-worthy? There are probably lawyers who will take any case. But before you get that far, what reasonable steps are you taking to get this resolved? What, exactly, do you want Sprint to do? How are you letting them know? A number of (very wise) posters have suggested having someone less devastated handle the correspondence on your behalf. One poster even provided the CEO's e-mail address.

I would like to thank all of you that have had kind words for our situation. As some have already said losing a parent IS NOTHING LIKE losing a child. Not to be insensitive but you expect to bury a parent you dont expect to bury a 21 yr old son.
You're right. They're nothing alike. I lost my younger brother a few years ago - still nowhere near comparable to your loss - and I was heartbroken when my sister had someone record over his outgoing message on her answering machine. If I'd known she were going to do that, I would have taken it and bought her a new one.

Please help me spread the word as to how cold and uncaring sprint is as I DONT want ANYONE even those with unkind words to go through what we are going through.
No. Sprint is a business, an entity, a thing. Things don't have feelings. You've encountered a person or two who haven't responded to you're devastation the way you want. Someone in the company can, and will. Most likely, unfortunately, it will be to let you out of the contract - but even completely understanding how you feel, no.

My point is most people who lose a loved one do not have a recording of their voice.

I was daddy's girl and losing him and how I was told was very traumatic experience for me, so I do know the pain of losing someone you love. I was away at college , first semester and had talked to him 2 days earlier when he dropped dead. I was in the midst of finals week, in class...it was a terrible time for me...so please dont tell me you can weigh pain and which is worse.:(

Actually I can weigh pain. I lost my father when I was 8. It was devastating and changed my life forever. That pain wouldn't hold a candle to losing my child.

No one should ever outlive their children.

OP, I am so sorry for your loss. I know you are really angry right now.

I know that Sprint isn't going to be able to satisfactorily resolve this - they just can't. Maybe you can take the phone to a tech company to try to see if they can get the voicemail message from the memory chip in the phone. Also try to escalate your complaint higher up in customer service - to see if they will let you out of the contract. All you should have to do is present a copy of the death certificate and they should waive all charges.

Maybe some of his friends can give you any messages / photos / or video they might have of him. If he has a Facebook profile, that might be helpful too. People post video on Facebook or YouTube all the time.

Take care OP.

I don't know where he worked but have you checked there if he had a message for his mailbox there?

And really shout the question far and wide to his friends to check their machines and phones for a message from him. Someone may have one if they haven't erased theirs in a while, but you need to get the word out poste haste.

I'm very sorry for what you are gong thru but do check his friends. Just the other day someone was on here saying they had found pictures from their DD's highschool homecoming and her date had also died and she wondered if she should send the photos to his parents, and that dance had been years and years ago and this pics had been out there floating around. So I bet there are things of your Son with his friends.

OP, I am so very sorry. Both for the loss you have suffered and for Sprint making a mistake and losing something so very precious. :hug:

I do wish people would stop trying stack up pain to see who is suffering more, though. There's no graduated scale for how much you hurt when you lose someone you love. While I can see if you have lost both a parent and a child, saying losing the child was worse for you, that doesn't make someone else's pain less.

Anyway, that's off topic. OP, I dearly hope you can get a copy of that recording. I hope someone moves mountains to make that happen. I would if I were at Sprint.

OP, I am so very sorry. Both for the loss you have suffered and for Sprint making a mistake and losing something so very precious. :hug:

I do wish people would stop trying stack up pain to see who is suffering more, though. There's no graduated scale for how much you hurt when you lose someone you love. While I can see if you have lost both a parent and a child, saying losing the child was worse for you, that doesn't make someone else's pain less.

Anyway, that's off topic. OP, I dearly hope you can get a copy of that recording. I hope someone moves mountains to make that happen. I would if I were at Sprint.

Most of the 'stack up pain" as you put it threads were in response to one person who did make a comparison....

Anger is not misplaced grief. It is actually part of the grief cycle.

According to the Kubler-Ross model, the first stage of grief is denial, followed by anger, bargaining, depression and finally acceptance. Although, the stages are not chronological. You could do any of them at any time, do a stage again in any order before you reach acceptance.

Even when you reach acceptance, you can revisit any stage at any time. Milestones often set you back on the grief cycle.

I cannot imagine the loss of a child. It must be horrific. So, the OP's anger is completely understandable and actually very normal and necessary in order to move through the grief cycle. The fact that she has focused all her anger on Sprint is ok. They can handle it. Although, if the OP becomes stuck in the anger stage and perseverates on her anger at Sprint, grief counseling may be a help.

Just to let you Know I HAVE NOT FOCUSED ALL MY ANGER AT sprint What a joke of a comment WOW some people!!!

All caps is online shouting and comes across as anger.

That's true and I do think OP is overwhelmed and angry, ready to lash out at everyone and everything. In this case I think it's unimaginable pain and I hope she can shout out at least some of it here so that she doesn't wear down the people around her in real life, because she is going to need an incredible amount of support to help her stand again.

OP when you feel like you can't hang on anymore give yourself the task of remembering at least one happy, wonderful memory of your son. I hope those happy memories fill your dreams and lift your heart when it feels heavy.

Just to let you Know I HAVE NOT FOCUSED ALL MY ANGER AT sprint What a joke of a comment WOW some people!!!

Most posters on this thread have been nothing but nice and compassionate. The pain you are experiencing is something many of us can not imagine and hope we never have to.

Perhaps you don't mean to come across this way but some of your responses are not very nice.

If that's the attitude you have when dealing with the people at Sprint, I can see why you are getting nowhere with them.
I wasn't mean or snarky towards you. I offered advice. They can't get the message back for you, so what can they do to make you satisfied? If the answer is nothing, then you are wasting both your time and theirs.

Based on what you've written, it seems you want them to either get the recording back for you, or allow you to break the contract. Chances are, the outgoing voice-mail message can't be retrieved, so you need to focus on breaking the contact.

Everybody in this thread has been empathetic, and where questions are asked, it's to clarify; with specific information people can give specific advice.

Google Sprint Executive customer service. Work with them.

Nobody you're talking to, here or at Sprint, made the changes to your son's account. Talk, don't yell. And don't threaten. If you don't feel you can remain calm, let someone else work with Sprint on your behalf.

I understand you're in a lot of pain right now, but with all due respect - it's not Sprint's responsibility that you don't have any recordings of your son.

you're certainly angry at someone or something & directing it towards Sprint, and towards some on here that have offered you reasonable advice

Most posters on this thread have been nothing but nice and compassionate. The pain you are experiencing is something many of us can not imagine and hope we never have to.

Perhaps you don't mean to come across this way but some of your responses are not very nice.

Exactly. You're all over the place, all caps, ranting & raving & not seeing the great advice you're getting here. You're almost becoming insulting to people trying to help you. If you're that raw emotionally (which is understandable) that you're not being reasonable, you need to step away from this for a day or 2, or get someone else to help you that is more detached from the situation.

OP, I do not really have any words of wisdom with regard to Sprint, but I wanted to send you the virtual version of a big hug. I completely understand how you are feeling, as we also lost our 20 year old son in a car accident this past December. I understand why that voice message is so important to you. When you lose your precious child, you want to hold on to everything you can of theirs.

My son's phone was completely destroyed in the accident, which involved a fire. I remember thinking that I had always told him to back up his phone so he could save his pictures, but he had never done this. For a while I was so upset over the loss of these pictures. However, my son's friends were so great - he had posted some of his pictures to Facebook, and they gave us copies of those. His friends also had tons of pictures of him, and they generously gave us whatever they had. Young people these days seem to record everything in their lives, so the suggestion of other posters to contact your son's friends is a very good one - you might be surprised at what they can share with you.

I also understand your frustration at dealing with corporate indifference. After my son's accident, I had to call to cancel his EZ Pass. I explained about the accident, and that my son had died. The representative's response was that we would be charged a $25 fee because we had "damaged the unit!" While that was technically true, I could not possibly think of a less compassionate response. I mean, I was crying on the phone while telling this story - she could have at least said "I'm sorry" before billing me.

To the few posters on this thread who are being critical of OP, you need to back off. This woman is in extreme pain, far worse than you could possibly imagine unless you have experienced it. There is no other loss which can possibly compare to the loss of a beloved child. You bury your heart with your child.

OP, I am so, so sorry, and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

I'm sorry for your loss and other than the great advice you've already been given, I'll add this. I think your chances of winning any lawsuit are very,very slim. Most cell phone providers (and other "data" type companies) have two clauses in their contracts/agreements that will hurt (if not destroy) your chances of winning.

The first is usually along the lines of, "We own all of the equipment, servers, transmission equipment, etc. As such, we own everything that is on that equipment/passes through that equipment, not the customer. As such we can do whatever we want, whenever we want to the equipment and anything stored on it and you have no recourse." (That's a harsh paraphrase, but you get the idea.) In other words, they "own" that voicemail message, not you. As such, they have no obligation to try to retrieve it, or even be sorry it's lost.

The second usually reads (again, paraphrasing), "The customer will hold us harmless and not liable for any loss of data or information stored on our equipment due to malfunction, error, acts of God, terrorism, etc. etc." They basically exclude anything short of intentional malice on their part. In other words, they didn't mean to lose that recording and it wasn't intentional on their part, so they're not obligated to do anything about it.

You might find a lawyer who will take the case, but there are lawyers who will take anything. I suspect, though, you'd spend an awful lot of money, time, and emotional heartache and still not win. Companies are very adept at the CYA game and, unless they settled with you out of the goodness of their hearts (unlikely since it would set a precedent that they would have to do the same for every grieving family from now on), you would lose.

I certainly won't tell you what to do, only you know how to manage your grief which must be crushing. But I'd hate to see you put yourself through all of the agony of a suit you cannot win. I'd say to carefully read any and all of the contracts for the cell phone and see just how tightly Sprint has protected themselves against unintentional loss/ownsership of data. Get a reputable lawyer to look them over, too. He or she could tell you whether you have any realistic chance of winning.

To the few posters on this thread who are being critical of OP, you need to back off. This woman is in extreme pain, far worse than you could possibly imagine unless you have experienced it. There is no other loss which can possibly compare to the loss of a beloved child. You bury your heart with your child.

OP, I am so, so sorry, and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Once again most of you have been very kind hearted with offering ideas to try and help Thank You Thank You Thank You.

to the others with their not so nice comments like I said before and have to repeat again :rolleyes2 sure hope you NEVER (yes yelled the word) have to experiance what we are.

OP, I do not really have any words of wisdom with regard to Sprint, but I wanted to send you the virtual version of a big hug. I completely understand how you are feeling, as we also lost our 20 year old son in a car accident this past December.

I also understand your frustration at dealing with corporate indifference. After my son's accident, I had to call to cancel his EZ Pass. I explained about the accident, and that my son had died. The representative's response was that we would be charged a $25 fee because we had "damaged the unit!" While that was technically true, I could not possibly think of a less compassionate response. I mean, I was crying on the phone while telling this story - she could have at least said "I'm sorry" before billing me.
My best friend lost her son in an accident this year as well. I've been struggling with how to say that she's experienced some of the same feelings, too, with corportate indifference in trying to settle his affairs, but you've said it well. And not just corportate indifference, but even some things that have happened with others, such as the police, in investigating the accident. We were literally on the phone for 3 hours recently when she poured her heart out about all of it. I could barely contain my emotions and anger myself for all she's had to endure. I'm glad she's finally talking about it, because she was silent for a long time initially. The most comfort she's had is talking to others who've lost children. One couple reached out to my friend and her husband and it's been a godsend for them. LBKB, I just want to say how sorry I am for your loss. :hug: I hope you can get this resolved, and if not, that you can get some other memories of your son through his friends.

OP & Minnie Fan, I am so so so very sorry for your losses. Your heartbreak must be so terrible to work through daily. I have no advise OP as to your loss of the voicemail but I want you to know (both of you) that you are in my thoughts. (((HUGS))) to you both.

Hannathy said:
I don't know where he worked but have you checked there if he had a message for his mailbox there?

That's a great suggestion if the OP's son had that kind of job! I recently found out (from someone who asked why I was I wasn't returning calls) that my outgoing voice mail was still on the phone at my former position in the same company - six months after I changed jobs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts