• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spring Break Visit

gaoqian

Earning My Ears
Just returned from Disneyworld....what a horror!!!! We've been there before on spring break and it wasn't nearly as bad as this time. each attraction was at least an hour wait...i've never seen it so crowded. My question is.....How do people have a good time with all that waiting with children...if each attraction is an hour...and if you stay 8 hours, you're lucky you can get on only 8.... anyway, sorry to go on, but it was such a disappointment.
JMO

We also just returned. We were there from 4/5 to 4/8. This was our first trip and the crowds were horrible. It was a 2 hour wait on Monday to ride Spash Mountain, with no fast passes left. Never again will we go during any holiday, that is if we ever go again at all. I knew it would be crowded, but I figured we would be okay with fast passes and the parks open later and all, but when it gets to the point when you cant even tell where the lines for attractions end or begin then it becomes no fun. By Thursday we were at MGM and we were only there a few hours and just couldnt stand the crowds any longer. What a wasted day at the park. JMHO

We just returned on 4/6. We did Epcot on Sat. night and it was not too bad. Sunday Am was EE at 7AM. My DD 5 years old and myself made it to the gate at 7AM( we left Daddy and 8 month old at the hotel to sleep). That is the only way I was doing the MK. We rode everything we wanted somethings 2 or 3 times with no wait. We were done at about 10:30 and by that time the lines were already 1/2 - 45 min at Peter Pan, Pooh, etc. We grabbed candy and headed back to the hotel for a great day at the pool. I would never go to Disney during this time again. Even the POR was jam packed when we were leaving. EE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!

Do you guys think it will be that bad thur, fri, and sat this week (15, 16, 17) This is our first trip there. Ive been at Disneyland where the waits were that long, but you guys are right, it does kind of take the fun out of it. What do you guys think about this week? We are leaving tomorrow night.

I think that it may still be very crowded. Just do your best if you are eligible for Early Entry to get to the park as early as is humanly possible. For us it meant getting up at 6 AM but it was well worth it for the MK. Try and plan it so the night before an early day you are in bed early. Another good thing about getting there 1st thing is then you still have a whole day at the pool. Have fun.

I was there last week too, had a great time! I'd def. do it again, the weather was beautiful! EE on Sunday 4/4 was awesome! It was the day the time changed and I think that kept alot of people away, we rode everything we wanted, some multiple times. Used FastPass alot all week. We went everywhere early took long breaks in the afternoon and didn't have much planned for our evenings other than shows/fireworks, though we did manage to ride the less popular rides during that time. Our longest wait was 20 minutes.

I think it's tough to go during the peak season when it's a once in a lifetime trip, a first trip, or not something you're gonna do again for awhile. I actually would advise against it if any of the above apply, personally.

When we go and it's busy, we don't worry about it because we know we're planning to come back within 3-12 months. So, if Splash constantly has a 2 hr wait, we leave it for next time. It actually gives you something more to look forward to for the next trip.

Anyhow, I hope you'll be able to go during a quieter time for the next round. Don't let these crowds dissuade you. Travel is back on the rise, so I think that's accounting for the tremendous crowds.

Just curious if you used any touring plans? Did you use the early entry? Did you arrive late at early entry parks? What time did you arrive at the parks? What park/parks did you tour? Did you do any research before your trip? Wondering if all my planning will pay off next week or if I will have a similar experience. I hope a little planning goes a long way....OK a lot of planning ;) goes a long way! Sorry you didn't have a magical time.

Kate-n-Sam: This is exactly how I didn't end up waiting in the hour+ long lines. My hubby thanked me more than once for all my planning (which he didn't want to hear aboutbefore the trip!) You won't regret it!

I notice both of the first posters are new here - and while trying not to assume too much - I've been MANY times - including Christmas week - when it's the worst crowds - and we've rarely had a problem not getting to do what we wanted. Like Kilee said - there's a few we just passed on altogether - usually Splash Mountain and Test Track - both of which we can take or leave. But we've always been able to do RnR, ToT, Space Mountain, KSafari etc with getting their early, early, early, using fast pass and going in the evening. I think your planning will pay off. I also think that the end of this week will probably be a whole lot better. Most of the Easter crowds will be heading home by then.

We were there April 2-11. The crowds were huge, we hit a few problems, but the trip was great. The 2nd and 3rd we did great crowd wise. Used FP and EE to our advantage. The 4th at MK was awful. The time change did me in.:(

The 5th was bad because I went to AK with my sister's SIL. She wanted to sleep late, then have breakfast in the foodcourt. By the time we got to AK it was about 11:00. They had a problem with the computers, so we were not able to exchange their 30 day vouchers for tickets, as a result 4 of the people in our group could not use FP.:eek: (We were able to get the tickets that night at MK)

On the 6th we left the resort late and almost missed our breakfast at Cape May Cafe. By the time we got to MGM the park was packed and the lines were long. The sun got to my son. We were not having fun. That night I said enough. I told everyone I
was leaving the room on Wednesday morning at 7:00 heading to Epcot. If you want to come fine, if not fine.

From Wednesday to Sunday everything was great again. I took advantage of EE and used FP. The parks were still packed, and the lines long, but we were fine. My son, my niece, nephew and I hit the parks running. My sister and her husband would join us later.

My sister's SIL refused to get up early. Her and her daughter spent HOURS waiting in lines. They hated Epcot, but the lines were long and they didn't get to do anything.:confused: After spending 70 minutes waiting in line for tower of terror, they felt it was boring.:rolleyes:

I think you have to have a plan when you go. There's no way you can go during a major holiday without doing a little research before the trip.

We just returned and it was busy and we did skip several things.

Most suggestions to this post are to arrive early on EE days. That simply was not an option for us. Our kids ( ages 3 and 6 )simply can not wake up before 7:15 or 7:30, if you do wake them you are just setting your self up for extremely cranky kids all day and possibly full melt downs - definitely not worth it. We left our room every morning about 8:30, and got into the park dejour by 9:15 or 9:30. Like I said we did have to skip some things, but saw most of what we wanted to see. We proritized, we did avoid the EE park of the day (since we arrived after EE was completed), and used FP as much as possible.

We did give up and leave AK on 4/5 around noon - I later read on these boards AK was closed - full to capacity that day.

Even with the crowds we had a good time - I'm just glad our school spring break is after Easter next year.

It was our 3rd trip and to others I am not recommending that you go at this time of year. We had a blast but lines were long and we did go to the opening of the parks to get our "must-dos" done.

That said - planning will help a lot. I am amazed at how many people I know go to WDW without cracking a guidebook or using the Internet -- these boards alone helped me tremendously for all 3 times.

If it's your first time - just soaking up the atmosphere is wonderful.

I've gone twice during Easter break and had a great time both times. I think EE is great, but I found the parks to get unbearable by 10:30. I think if I go during Easter break again, I'll go to a non-EE park and arrive early. I'll let you know if it's a good plan.

Deleted

I wasn't trying to make waves, that's not my thing. I've deleted the post, and didn't mean to sound accusatory. I guess I was just feeling a bit cranky last night about the impendinig crowds. I'd still love to hear feedback on my above questions though! :)

We were there 4/1- 4/5 Our first time in 13 years and our very first time with our 3 kids. I used the ug touring plans most days and did ee at mk on 4/4 We never waited in any lines at mk because we got there early and followed the plans. Splash mountain was a 0 wait because we did it as soon as that section of the park opened. The only waits we had was at MGm and that was our last day. We let the kids sleep and got there at 10:oo . It really pays to get there early and use Fp for the big rides! we had a great time! and also I learned a lot from you people on these boards! Thanks :wave2:

We were there 4/3-4/10. On 4/5 we were at MK and it was CROWDED. We go at least one to 2 times a year so missing something wasn't such a big deal. BUT I can see why people who are there for the 1st time this week, it would be a bummer.

On Thursday 4/8 we did MGM and except for RnR and TOT the lines weren't bad. First time I went to Millionaire and I must say I really enjoyed it.

In reply to Kate-n-Sam...What do you mean "stir up some trouble"?
We've been to DW at least a dozen times, been there on spring break once before, but this was the worst. We have a young child that we refuse to wake up at 6am just to "have fun". My question was "how could it be fun waiting in line at least 1 hour for each attraction".
JMHO.

I meant no offense and welcome to the DIS. On occasion people visit the boards, who have never posted before complaining and putting our favorite place down. I think it's natural (at least for me :) ) to get defensive. That's all, I apologize. On top of it I'm having pre-trip jitters, and your post kind of sent me over the top on the crowd thing.

To answer your question, I will have very little fun if I have to wait in line for an hour for every attraction with 3 kids under 6. We will have 5 day hoppers and plan on being at the MK for opening 2 days. My kids are really late sleepers, but I'm hoping they will survive a couple of early mornings. In an attempt to try and avoid the problems your family experienced I'd love to hear if you used touring plans or fastpass? And were you at the MK on an early entry day? We've also been bunches of times, but never Easter, so I think that's also adding to my crowdphobia! Thanks, and again I am sorry you had a bad time.

I have to agree with laurabelle! I went to WDW fro the very first time last week, 4/5 - 4/9. My 6yr. old and I had a blast! The weather was awesome, and the touring plans I had made worked wonderfully. Since this was my first trip, I did lots of research, spent two months reading the DIS, and had 3 touring plans for the MK which I compared and contrasted in order to put together a plan I was comfortable with. Not only did my DD and I ride everything in the MK we wanted to with no waits longer than 10 minutes (and many rides we did 2 or 3 times), but we did so many things we didn't plan to do, too! I can't imagine it going any better than it did, but I don't know what it's like in the off season. I found that it was very important to be there EARLY, and we avoided EE days. We stayed at the COntemporary, which did make things easier. We were otu of the parks by 11:30am for naps and pool time, and back in the parks by 6:30pm. One thing I found to benefit us greatly was arriving at the hotel mid-day, and using that evening just to go to the MK to check it out and "practice" our plans (find the paths and walkways, FP machines, and restaurants). The only time I really felt the crowds was during and after Wishes. Also, Tues. and Wed. evening seemed more crowded (the opposite of what our tour plans advised). but we used the evenings to just hang out and do relaxing things such as the WDW Railroad, Transit Authority, Carousel of Progress, and maybe one FP ride. Again, I can't imagine a better trip, and a first ever one at that, despite the time of year. I now believe 100 percent in careful planning! It worked great for us!!!

:cool1: :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter