Spring Break, Thanksgiving, or Winter Break?

beachdreamr1229

DIS Veteran
Next year, my family are dropping our APs so we can diversify our vacation destinations a bit. As a result, I only get to plan one longer trip to Disneyland. :'( So, my question is, would you pick Spring Break, Thanksgiving, or Winter Break?

I am a teacher and my oldest son is in school, so unfortunately, we can't take a week-long trip in the off-season, leaving us with very few options. Our other option would be summer, but we're trying to avoid that as we have 2 other vacations (Legoland and Monterey) planned in June and July. I have been during Spring Break and Winter Break before, but it's been a while since I've tried to go the week after Christmas, so I forget if it's worse than Spring Break or not. I've never tried going on or near Thanksgiving, so I have no clue what to expect on that one.

Thanksgiving 2016 will be great!!!!....unless El Nino does a really big number during the holidays of 2015, then cancelled folks come back in 2016. 2016 is the first time in a while that the fourth Thursday is the 24th, in 2017, the 23 becomes the fourth Thursday, bringing back the week after Thanksgiving that has been missing. as a result the holidays will become light , though the dec 18th and beyond are still crowded holiday peak. Thanksgiving would be a good teacher choice, very manageable and restful .

I have been during Spring Break and Winter Break before, but it's been a while since I've tried to go the week after Christmas, so I forget if it's worse than Spring Break or not. I've never tried going on or near Thanksgiving, so I have no clue what to expect on that one.
The week following Christmas is MUCH worse than Spring Break. My kids are teacher, so we tend to go on the various breaks and holidays. We have been going the week between Christmas and NYE since 1999. (We missed in 2003...) We go because we need to get away. We enjoy the parks, and have no problems just wandering and not riding anything. But the 26th thru the 1st is nuts. The 26th is the introduction of the Rose Bowl teams in front of the castle. Both teams will maintain a heavy presence in the park. Add to it all the parade groups that will be there (and all their families!) Park will hit capacity at least 1/2 the days between the 2 holidays. And you will hear a LOT of people comment "I thought people would be home with their families!"

I also depends on whether you want to see the parks during the holidays or without. Both Thanksgiving and Winter Break will allow you to experience the parks during the holidays. Spring Break would not, although there might be some small Easter activities (e.g., the Egg Hunt), depending on when your "Spring Break" occurs.

I vote either Thanksgiving or Spring break. It also depends on when exactly your spring break is. My kids' break is always mid-March, and I would totally go then. If it's the week after Easter, that might be a bit worse.

Thanks, everyone! Maybe we'll try Thanksgiving. If we're only going once a year, it'd be fun to see the holiday stuff, but I don't want to brave those capacity days with the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter