Spring Break On A Budget...HELP!

anotheryou

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! I have planned five Disney trips over the years, all with my family, and I am currently planning my sixth trip, this time with my three of my college friends for our last ever (!!!) spring break (3/8-3/15). As I begin planning, I am realizing how little I know about doing Disney on a *very* tight budget; when I went with my family we always looked for good deals but still stayed on Disney property, went to the parks every day, and ate at Disney restaurants for every meal. While I might be willing to shell out the big bucks to really make the most of Disney while we are there, my roommates aren’t quite convinced.

I am looking for a good off-property hotel/resort that fits the following requirements:
-affordable (available for $200/person or less for the week, whether through timeshare rental or priceline or whatever)
-includes at least a kitchenette
-either offers transportation to Disney or is within walking distance (no more than a 30 minute walk) from Downtown Disney (we won’t have a car, none of us are 25)
-has a decent pool
-free breakfast is a BIG plus, but not at all required

There are four of us going for sure but if you know of any deals for larger units we could certainly invite other friends to fill it up!

I have been scouring the net but there is just so much out there, I though you all might have some wisdom to share. Let me know if you know of/have stayed at any hotels/resorts that I might look into!

Thank you so much!

okay staying offsite - yes can help.

but realize something you will need a car. Yes some do offer transportation but either you pay for it (timeshares) or it is paid for by much higher prices.

You need to be able to rent a car.

that say rental cars in Orlando are pretty cheap. So that is not a problem.

right now you are looking a little early. but here is a place to start. You are looking at timeshares. Now with the new pricing - $295 +$15 (week) for timeshares - some of the hotels are pretty good deals too. $32 a day.

www.skyauction.com

Thank you, spiceycat! Great site. This is getting me very excited!

This is early to start thinking about spring break, but we will all be out of the country this fall so we want to get some things pinned down before we leave if possible. I know that with Disney hotels, great codes often come up at the last minute; is this the case with off-property hotels? Or are the best deals to be had snatched up early?

with skyauction the best are last minute. and I mean last minute 3 weeks to 4 days before you leave. probably too soon to when you want to go for you.

that is when if they have excess inventory RCI is more willing to let it go to skyauction.

now something will be there sooner. you should probably find a Sheraton Vistana. but it will continue to increase in price until the audition ends.

wait until the last 5 minutes - then see what the price is - if you want to bid then - be pre register and don't bit until the last 15 seconds. and no I am not kidding. had too many out bids being earlier. be sure to list your top price so if someone comes along and wants to out bid you in seconds - they probably won't be able too.

but remember the best way to visit WDW offsite is with a rental car. these also go down in price closer.

go over on the transportation board and ask about deals during your stay.

Southwest airlines - generally gives their best rate when they first announce their flights. but lately they also have been giving better rates the last 4 weeks - or so I have noticied. not the last minute - so business people are still paying top price. but the last 3 or 4 weeks - yes there are some bargins that they use to not do at that time. of course all these are now - no guarantees what tomorrow will bring.

good luck!!!

Having stayed both on and off site, I've found its generally less expensive to stay off site, but you will need a car. I can't imagine trying to stay off-site without one. If you check at www.mousesavers.com you can get coupon codes and other great information for going on a budget!

renting a car and being under 25 is rather costly. I did it serveral years ago. Some charge $25 per day for being under 25. At that point, it might be better to stay onsite.

Renting a car will cost you an extra $25 per day for an underage driver. If you can find an offsite accomodation that's really inexpensive, you still might come out ahead renting a car. That said, check some of the reviews here about hotels. How would you get to the hotel without a car? Figuring a towncar or shuttle will also add money, so onsite vs. offsite might end up balancing out for you. I think you'll have to run some numbers to see for certain.

Where would you be coming from? Are you up to a road trip? If you have 4 drivers and a reliable vehicle, it might be more cost effective to drive, then you'll have a car and can stay where ever you choose.

If you can't rent a car, I'd stay on site in a pair of value rooms, use magical express and Disney transportation to get around. You will regret the time and probably money you'll waste in off property shuttles.

I like the La Quinta out by the Lake Buena Vista shoppes - it meets most of your criteria - no kitchen just fridge and microwave, free breakfast, nice pool, wonderful towels - but no way would I stay there without a car.

Thank you all so much! I have been looking around at what's available and getting some ideas.

We are coming from the Chicago area, so driving could be an option...I hadn't much considered it before but it sounds like IF we stay off-property, we will really need it.

I just started looking at DVC rentals thinking it would be way out of our league and while most of them are, if we were able to get a value studio at AKL and just cut off one weekend night, it would be 76 points, which, if we could rent at $9-$10/point, would definitely be possible. And when we figure that we won't have any transportation costs to/from the airport and we would have full access to the Disney transportation system AND we would have a microwave/fridge for storing food, we might actually come out on top with that. Does anyone have any experience with this? From what I gather over on the DVC boards, reservations for the AKL value studio are difficult to get.

very difficult to get AKV. Plus the price for the newer resorts are generally more than the older ones. So getting AKV for $9 or $10 - would be very, very hard. If not impossible - the new owners have higher maintence fees and the building cost at lot more - so the start up costs are higher too.

you might also consider OKW - in a studio at OKW - you will get 2 queen beds.

AKV is one queen and double sleeper sofa - would not want to decide who gets the bed and who gets the sofa. Especially if everyone is paying the same.

one more expensive you would need to consider if you are staying offsite and would not get a rental car - then the airport transportation would also cost. Since there are several of you - a taxi might be the best. One price for all. but it won't be cheap either.

Disney will take you back and forth to Disney for free.

Now I don't rent at $10 any longer - what I paying to DVC has gone up several times in the last few years - so I can't rent for that price.

but you can probably find someone on the DVC rental/trade board who would be willing to do it.

remember a studio sleeps 4. Another thing you might like - DVC rentals through a DVC member - don't have the extra cost of any adults over 2 - that a regular WDW resort would have.

You can get DDP - although on a budget I won't suggest it. Order your food through a website - so you don't have to worry about it. Since I am assuming most of your meals will be in studio or stuff you take to the parks. Disney's prices for groceries is pretty high too.

Either bring what you can on the plane - or bring nothing and order directly from the website. there are a couple of them.

remember that the DVC member must also make your reservation for DME (disney magical express - transportation between WDW and airport). So be prepared to give our a bunch of personal information to the DVC member.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter