Spreading ashes in WDW

Dizzy4Dizney

Mother to the Princess
Not to be too morbid.....with all the death in the news lately, DH & I were talking about our burials. I told him I'd like my ashes to be spread in Bay Lake (I think that's the name of the lake in front of the MK). He said he'd doubt if that was feasable. Does anyone know if anyone has done this?

I would imagine there is some way to (secretly) do it, as Uncle Walt said, "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." I think that would be a great place to end up. :angel:

I'm sure people do it without letting anyone know (from the beach or on a pontoon cruise or something), but WDW will not officially allow anyone to be buried or "scattered" on property.

:earsboy:

My mom has asked me to scatter hers (secretly) in one of the flower beds at Epcot or a flower bed by the Beach Club.

Hmmmm. Wonder if DW would scatter mine on Jessica Rabbit in ToonTown? :blush:

There are also local laws/ordinances to consider. My mother was recently killed in a car accident and was cremated. In our discussions about what to do with her ashes, we were told that they can not be scattered over an inland body of water so you would have to check in to the local codes/regulations.

HTH

People have done it. It's not allowed, but people sneak it in. (BTW - That's Seven Seas Lagoon - Bay Lake is past the old Discovery Island by FW & WL.

I have heard that you must request fine ash for spreading in public. Regular cremation leaves some solid pieces.

I know of 6 people who rented a pontoon boat on afternoon and went out to the middle of 7 Seas Lagoon, they talked about her life and each spread a little of her ashes into the lake. I told them that if they were caught, it wouldn't be a nice experience but some people just don't want to hear sometimes. It was her last wish to have that done and her husband and family were going to get it done no matter the cost.

I have heard these stories for years, to be honest I even thought about it once a long time ago...

One of my best friends wants her ashes spread out in the haunted mansion. Come hell or high water, I will make sure she gets her wish when she dies. I figure it will be one camera film canister at a time but it will get done.

The Seven Seas Lagoon is in front of MK, by the way ur not the only one to have thought of this I have too. Honestly, who would know???

well on the news and rumours board they have a thread no this and someone said that they spread their uncle (i think) on pirates of the carribian (sp?)

It is illegal to dispose of cremated human remains (it is not ash -- it is pulverized bone) on private property without the permission of the property owner.

I've told DH that I think a great place to be would be "The Laughing Place"!

Nancy :earsgirl:

OMG- I wonder how many "bodies" are spread around Disney? :scared1:

Besdies that fact that is completely illegal and I doubt anyone would ever get permission from Disney to do this, people will still try to satisfy their loved ones wishes.

That being said, be aware that I recently heard (on another Disney discussion board about this very thing) that inside the urn of "ashes" is an identification tag that, if found, can be led right back to the person to whom the remains were given. I'm not sure how big that tag is but I would ask the funeral director or the crematorium director before going ahead and dumping the entire contents of the urn.

WDW is probably one of the most beloved spots in the entire world. How many people do you suppose are already resting for eternity there? Makes you wonder the next time you're glancing on the ground near the Castle, eh?

So if you don't like the person do you dump their ashes in Small World? Imagine hearing that song for all eternity! :rotfl:

"Regular cremation leaves some solid pieces."

My Father recently passed away and was cremated. When I picked up his ashes I asked the funeral director what to expect, because I'm debating if I am going to spread his ashes somewhere or have them interred(sp). I was told that the remains were "pulverized" because typically cremains will have some larger bone fragments. I was told that the cremains would range in consistency from "ash" to "ground seashell or coarse sand."

Not sure if being "pulverized" only happens here in our state or at the particular crematorium we used or what though.

One other thought though --and this is not meant to discourage you from your wish to spread the ashes on the lake -- just to make sure you're prepared. I would think trying to spread someone's ashes on the sly would be difficult . . . unless you employ the "film canister" technique ;) just because of the amount of "ash." The remains are also quite heavy (and my Dad was a not a large man)-- not something you can just slip in a pocket. All of this has caused me to think quite carefully about how and where I will be able to spread my father's remains.

Hope I haven't grossed anyone out here.

Jackie

I never thought of this...I was recently thinking of how/where I would choose to be layed to rest and was thinking of cremation also.

Besides the legalities, it is a nice idea for a Disney fan. Your family gets together to remember you and your love of Disney at the Happiest Place on Earth. It's a nice thought and not nearly depressing as a funeral. Too bad the Leave a Legacy walls couldn't have little "drawers" built into them...you could get your loved ones name engraved and leave a little bit of them at their favorite place. -- Those things look like giant headstones anyway so the "drawers" would have fit right in! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter