Spray Tanning Before Cruise

disneypoor

DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!
DVC Gold
We leave Friday for a cruise on Saturday. Anyhow, I was just wondering how many of you have spray tanned before your cruise? I've had several cancerous moles removed in my short 42 years of life (and most were in my early 30s), so tanning in the tanning bed just isn't an option for me. I'd like to have a little bit of color though, and spray tanning seems like a pretty harmless thing to do.

I just wondered if you've had it done what your experiences were? Were you orange? Was it obvious you had it done? Or did you love it? I'd love to hear from you because I certainly don't want to show up and have everyone on our cruise know I spray tanned!:rotfl: TIA!

Susan

We leave Friday for a cruise on Saturday. Anyhow, I was just wondering how many of you have spray tanned before your cruise? I've had several cancerous moles removed in my short 42 years of life (and most were in my early 30s), so tanning in the tanning bed just isn't an option for me. I'd like to have a little bit of color though, and spray tanning seems like a pretty harmless thing to do.

I just wondered if you've had it done what your experiences were? Were you orange? Was it obvious you had it done? Or did you love it? I'd love to hear from you because I certainly don't want to show up and have everyone on our cruise know I spray tanned!:rotfl: TIA!

Susan

please go natural! My DW did the spray and oooooooooo my gosh! Orange, streaky and everyone on the planet noticed!!!!!!!!!

Sitting on the beach at CC, beutiful day, basking in the sun, trying to rub the orange crap off of her legs. Nightmare!

you don't need to take the cancer risk either. Enjoy your white skin and the cruise!:beach::beach::beach::beach::beach:

please go natural! My DW did the spray and oooooooooo my gosh! Orange, streaky and everyone on the planet noticed!!!!!!!!!

Sitting on the beach at CC, beutiful day, basking in the sun, trying to rub the orange crap off of her legs. Nightmare!

you don't need to take the cancer risk either. Enjoy your white skin and the cruise!:beach::beach::beach::beach::beach:

I'm envisioning myself the same way your wife ended up!:rotfl: I definitely don't want to be orange, so natural may have to be the way to go. My sister and her family are flying out tonight for our same cruise, and she did do the spray tan. Hers looks wonderful, but I know how things sometimes work out for me.;) She's always the lucky one. LOL!

Susan

I have spray tanned in the past but never before a cruise. My experience with it have been nothing but great! Great color and no streaks as long as you follow the directions and go to a reputable place. I have had better results with the Versa spray tan over the Mystic. The Versa is a little more expensive but seemed to last longer. Keep in mind, the more you shower the faster it fades. I'm not sure what type of affect chlorine may have on speeding up how fast it fades. But, I say go for it!

I have spray tanned in the past but never before a cruise. My experience with it have been nothing but great! Great color and no streaks as long as you follow the directions and go to a reputable place. I have had better results with the Versa spray tan over the Mystic. The Versa is a little more expensive but seemed to last longer. Keep in mind, the more you shower the faster it fades. I'm not sure what type of affect chlorine may have on speeding up how fast it fades. But, I say go for it!

The place I was thinking about going to has the Versa machine, so it sounds like that would be good. My sister said it was great! She said it even dries you and puts some sort of moisturizer on you at the end if you ask for it.:confused3 If I did it, I thought I'd go with the medium clear versus the bronze. Do you know anything about that? I just wondered if hers looked so natural because she did clear. ?? Thanks for your reply!

Susan

disneypoor said:

Susan

I did it before my cruise in 2011 and it looked great for the first two days but was seriously fading by day 3. We spent a lot of time riding the Aquaduck and in the pool so that might have contributed to the rapid fading. I also noticed the back of my legs (where the tube rubbed) was noticeably whiter than the rest of me! I used Mystic though so maybe the other kind would last longer?

This cruise I didn't worry about it and wasn't out of place with my white self. I vote save the money and get yourself a spa treatment on board instead! ;)

I have had just about every tanning accident possible. I've been orange, spotted, streaked. I've mystic tanned and had a custom tan. The best tanning solution I've ever had was St. Tropez tanning mouse.

It shows were it goes, so you can see where it's been applied. One coat gives you a nice glow, two coats gives you the perfect tan. It comes off very gently too. You won't end up with spotting.

If you have an ulta near you they sell it. http://search.ulta.com/search?p=R&t...37069467&method=and&isort=date&catid=cat90022

The only difference I have seen with the clear is that it takes longer to "appear". I have gotten the spray tan in the evening, gone to bed pale and woke up in the morning tan! It's a little shocking at first but looks great! My advice would be to consult with the girls at the place you are getting it done. They will be able to help you pick which color is best for you and walk you through step by step how to use the machine. With Versa there are a series of turns and different steps. Make sure you have them show you how to stand too. Oh, and don't forget the barrier cream! I've never needed it on my elbows or knees but definitely use it on your nails, palms, toes and the bottoms of your feet.

Thanks for all of the great advice! I definitely will be using the barrier cream if I decide to do this! I just had my nails and toes done, and I don't want them ruined!:eek: My sister did say you have to turn and change positions several times. Hers looks really good. Just hoping mine turns out that nice if I do decide to get it done.

Susan

I have always had great luck with spray tanning when I have had it professionally done and followed their recommendation. I have had some horrible experiences when I have tried to do it on my own!

It does seem to fade fairly quickly though, after 3-4 days. I have actually found that if I go twice it lasts longer. So I try to go a second time 3 days or so after the first time. Still, it is usually mostly gone by day 6.

I got one a couple of days before my cruise last year. Most definitely not orange. If you are, you need to go somewhere else.
It did gradually fade after a week. The key is to MOISTURIZE and not use bar soap. Use a moisturizing body wash and take quick showers with water as cool as you can stand.

I had a professional spray tan for a wedding once and while it looked great initially, after a few days it started to flake off in random patches. Luckily it was winter and I was able to keep covered up. I wouldn't have wanted to be in a bathing suit! These days I really like neutrogena build-a-tan. I use the lotion on my arms, legs, torso, and the spray for my back. The color is gradual and you can apply more if it is not dark enough. No orange, no streaks.

Get a professional airbrush tan by a person! They come out great and last for about a week before fading

I have used spray tanning quite a few times. Mine was always airbrushed on by hand. That way they can apply more wear you need it & less where you don't so that it is nice & even. It looks kind of dark the first day and you are not supposed to shower for about 8 hours. Mine always rubbed off a little bit on my clothes that first day (but it didn't stain them) so I wore old clothes. Do be sure & shower though to wash off the extra. You will see the extra run down the drain in the shower & I can't imagine what it would look like if you just jumped right in the pool. I'm talking huge brown ring around you in the water :rotfl2:

Overall I have loved every one of my spray tans. The downside is that they fade quickly. It does depend on how you take care of your spray tan. Use a TON of lotion & my spray tanning place sells a lotion that has the tanning stuff in it so it really helps keep the tan longer. It will also wear off of your legs more quickly if you shave a lot. I am fare skinned & haired so I do not have to shave a ton.

For our WDW & cruise trip in October I did decide to do the tanning bed. ya, ya I know cancer risk yadda yadda. Hey, I don't drink, smoke, chew or otherwise engage in risky behavior. I figured I deserved a tan for once in my life. It took me about 2 months to get my tan & get up to laying the the bed for 10 whole minutes. I had to start at 2 minutes & work my way up. I actually found it quite relaxing & loved the end result. I had a tan that lasted for months instead of days. That was my goal since we were on our vacation for 17 days.

If I were you, I would ask around & get a good reference as to which spray tanning place near you is good. That is what I did and I have always been happy with the results of my spray tan.

I spray tan a lot, but don't recommend it before a beach vacay. Chlorine and salt water will definitely wash it right off, it will likely be streaky depending on the moisture level in your skin. I would say, go natural with lots of SPF.

Have somebody spray you by hand. So much better coverage and the solution is amazing!!!

Moisturizer. Moisturizer. Moisturizer.

I've had spray tanning done several times in the past but my all time favorite is by bare minerals. QVC sells it. You can apply it before you go and take it with you in case you need touch ups. That's what I always do right before a cruise. It comes with a brush and you can see where you have applied it.i like it because it last several days and only by day 4 or 5 you might need a touch up. With the spray tan it might start coming off within a couple of days and also leave you with those dark spots alon your body. Good luck in finding the spray tan or self tanner that works for you

Thanks again for all of the great replies! I ended up trying the Versa spray tanning. So far, it looks very natural and isn't overdone in any way. I guess it takes up to 12 hours to fully show the color, so we'll see how I wake up in the morning. They did tell me the ocean water wouldn't be too great for it, but I won't be in the ocean until we're in Cozumel which will be on Monday, so by that time, it will likely be wearing off anyhow.

I did buy the extender lotion, but after I got home, I noticed it also has the bronzer in it. I'm not sure if I'll use it or not. I saw someone posted about using the lotion afterward, so if you have experience with that, can you let me know if it really helped your tan to last longer?

Thanks again for the great tips! Hope I still look normal in the morning.:)

Susan

I have never used the extender. But have done the versa tan before all three of our cruises. I just always feel better with a little color on my white legs. I love the way it turns out and color has been great. Yes, it fades. But for the life of your cruise, it will look great. The extender lotion sounds great. Might have it try it in June. Have a fabulous time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter