• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sports: Deflate-Gate

in other words....

"yeah, we cheated....we know we cheated and we got caught. We've decided to move on and quit digging ourselves a deeper hole"

Not how I read it, but that's neither here nor there.

Whew... Looks like we escaped any harsh criticism over the Spikes Scandal! It's more likely than not that Tom Brady possibly was with Spikes that night.

Now that Brady's appeal has been heard, what are the predictions? I still think his suspension will be overturned and tossed out.

no one outside of boston really cares about this story anymore. I am a huge sports fan, and just want it to be over and done with. bottom line is over turned or not, pats cheated, everyone knows it. doesn't matter if it gets overturned or not. bring on training camp, and lets get ready for some football.

I would love to take a bet that it is not increased -in fact, I'll take double or nothing that they are decreased. If you think they are going to INCREASE the penalty, you either don't follow the NFL much or you are more delusional than you appear.

I'll tell you what -lets do some honest wagering for a good cause ...we're really just talking about football here. Post your wager - if you lose, you make a donation in that amount to Give Kids the World. Anyone on board?

$25 Brady Penaty will be REDUCED

on that note, I would love to see a penalty actually increased upon appeal. that would put a stop to appeals in most cases. now there is no chance a penalty will be increased. if you appeal, your penalty is the same or reduced, every time in every sport. so you might as well appeal, its a no lose for the player.

no one outside of boston really cares about this story anymore. I am a huge sports fan, and just want it to be over and done with. bottom line is over turned or not, pats cheated, everyone knows it. doesn't matter if it gets overturned or not. bring on training camp, and lets get ready for some football.
Geez Louise! Even though everyone now says the Wells report is seriously flawed and couldn't hold water in a rainstorm.

Now that Brady's appeal has been heard, what are the predictions? I still think his suspension will be overturned and tossed out.
Goodell is a d*ck. I doubt he'll lessen the hit just because he is what he is. It SHOULD be reduced to no draft picks lost, no fine on the team, and no games for Brady. Maybe a monetary fine that goes to charity, as all NFL fines do. How do you punish a player and team so severely when the "evidence" is so poor? That report is hogwash and everyone knows it. The longer people have to look at it, the more they pick it apart.

on that note, I would love to see a penalty actually increased upon appeal. that would put a stop to appeals in most cases. now there is no chance a penalty will be increased. if you appeal, your penalty is the same or reduced, every time in every sport. so you might as well appeal, its a no lose for the player.

I would agree that in most sports the appeal process is ridiculous, but if the original penalty was realistic and CONSISTENT there would be less appeals(or less successful appeals which would lead to fewer appeals). This isn't real world, it is the NFL and it's their league -so sometimes I feel they do this purposely just to keep their name in the paper ...especially in the offseason. Bad press is better than NO press at all! I've said it before, this is as close to WWF(E) as you can get.

I would agree that in most sports the appeal process is ridiculous, but if the original penalty was realistic and CONSISTENT there would be less appeals(or less successful appeals which would lead to fewer appeals). This isn't real world, it is the NFL and it's their league -so sometimes I feel they do this purposely just to keep their name in the paper ...especially in the offseason. Bad press is better than NO press at all! I've said it before, this is as close to WWF(E) as you can get.

totally disagree. this isnt about the nfl. every league has an appeal process and the appeal never, ever results in an increase in penalty. if i am wrong, please show me. i am more than willing to relook at things, but until you show me the facts, i will stick by my original premise that there is no reason not to appeal because there is no chance of the penalty being increased. the only way for appeals to be lessened is for the penalty to be increased on the appeal.

totally disagree. this isnt about the nfl. every league has an appeal process and the appeal never, ever results in an increase in penalty. if i am wrong, please show me. i am more than willing to relook at things, but until you show me the facts, i will stick by my original premise that there is no reason not to appeal because there is no chance of the penalty being increased. the only way for appeals to be lessened is for the penalty to be increased on the appeal.

Why would a penalty ever INCREASE ..I'm not even quite sure where that idea would come from. Do you believe that when you buy a car and offer a lower price, your dealer should RAISE the price? First of all, the NFL(and any other sport for that matter) are independent of any laws that we know -they make they're own "laws." But in general, an appeal process exists to protect people who believe they were unduly punished -you can't punish them more because they believe they were wronged. In the NFL, it is most likely part of the collective bargaining agreement which they are all bound to. The problem in the NFL is that under Goodell there has been no consistence in the penalties handed out ....you beat your girlfriend, 2-games ....kill someone, 1-year ....do drugs, who knows. If they could say for any form of domestic abuse the penalty WILL be "X", then it would be more difficult to appeal. But since the commissioner can't make up his mind with the penaltybeing all over the map -it leaves the league open to what you describe.

Is there a football specific thread here on the Dis somewhere? I've searched and have not found any others. I don't want to be rude or to derail this thread from the original topic and though last year certainly had some major bumps I think we're all looking ahead to a good NFL season.

Is there a football specific thread here on the Dis somewhere? I've searched and have not found any others. I don't want to be rude or to derail this thread from the original topic and though last year certainly had some major bumps I think we're all looking ahead to a good NFL season.
No football specific thread, sorry. Usually once the season gets closer or underway there will be a few threads going on. Not a ton of football fans here, although maybe if there was a specific thread they'd find their way to it!

Who do you root for?

I thought of this thread last night. I was at the New Kids on the Block concert and they ended the show in Pat's jerseys. As a surprise Pat Patriot and some Patriot cheerleaders came on stage with the Lombardi Trophy. I think I screamed louder for that than I did for the concert!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3

Appeals never increase penalties - welcome to reality.

Brady will be exonerated

No football specific thread, sorry. Usually once the season gets closer or underway there will be a few threads going on. Not a ton of football fans here, although maybe if there was a specific thread they'd find their way to it!

Who do you root for?

I have to jump in here...Broncos, baby!

You and I need to have some good ol' fashion trash talking fun this season! :).

You and I need to have some good ol' fashion trash talking fun this season! :).
Always good for good-natured trash talk :)

Two of the best qb's to ever play..I think we've got it pretty good!

I'm primarily a Seahawks fan and am looking forward to next season! I have both the NFL app and a Seahawks app to give my fix for the rest of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter