Spinoff: Pineapple on a Pizza?

I had no idea it was a Canadian thing. It must be quite widespread now though because I have a lot of friends worldwide in the for/against thing.

I hate it - I hate sweet and savory together but I'm always on my own for pizza anyway because it has to be an alfredo sauce touching nothing tomato so I can do whatever I please. At least with pineapple, I can just pick it off. We have a restaurant here that has 'tropical chicken', spicy chicken, pineapple and bacon. It's good with no pineapple.

Do the pizza places where you live have it on their menus?

no, they don't....not your standard Italian pizzeria.

Maybe in a more funky, modern type place. I wouldn't order it though. Not something I look for.

This must be "regional", lol. Here in MA we call ham and pineapple pizza Hawaiian for the most part. It can vary a little, I suppose, but if you order Hawaiian, most everyone knows what you're talking about. I've never heard it called "Canadian". Where did you experience this, out of curiosity? (Sorry, I see you said you can't remember.)

We are in MA now...and yes, on the menus here it is called Hawaiian. The other options for locations would have been CA, OR, or IL. Of course it was just one pizza place and they have every right to call their pizzas whatever they want to. Maybe they were just trying to be different. It definitely caught our attention, while most people wouldn't probably notice one way or another.

Back in the day where I was going to college, many pizza places seemed to number their pizzas close to the same on their menus for ease of ordering, so it didn't matter what place you called up, you could just ask for a #7 or a #8 (one was usually pineapple and bacon and the other was pineapple and ham) and get a Hawaiian pizza.

no, they don't....not your standard Italian pizzeria.

Maybe in a more funky, modern type place. I wouldn't order it though. Not something I look for.

Yeah, a quick look at all the major national chains and they have some sort of Hawaiian pizza with pineapple on the menu.

called Hawaiian all the places I have gone with Canadian bacon
We have eaten it for many years.....always has been DS's favorite and he is 36

In the early 90s my girlfriend and I were regulars at a place that made us an off-menu special; pineapple and prosciutto. Delicious!

Come on, give it a try. It's surprisingly good! Sweet and savory! ;)

I've never tried it with bacon or Canadian bacon, just ham and pineapple. Really good. If given a choice, this is what DS will order every time. (Personally, I like plum tomato and carmelized onion myself, but I also like Hawaaian.)

That's just it - I HAVE tried it. Blech!!

Yeah, a quick look at all the major national chains and they have some sort of Hawaiian pizza with pineapple on the menu.

With a pizzeria on every corner, national chains are not very popular....except for the very late 3am delivery ;)

I had no idea it was a Canadian thing. It must be quite widespread now though because I have a lot of friends worldwide in the for/against thing.

There are claims that the idea came from a Canadian restaurant. The alleged restaurant sounded interesting. The owner was from Greece. He hired a Chinese chef to cook Chinese food, had Greek items, and got interested in pizza and had to experiment because nobody had any expertise.

I suppose everyone has a different name. Americans call it "Canadian bacon", but in Canada I found it was called "back bacon". I was at a Tim Hortons, which had a "Canadian back bacon" egg sandwich as a new menu item. With an English muffin, it was almost like an Egg McMuffin.

canadian-back-bacon-breakfast-sandwich.jpg

Blech.

Is it called Hawaiian pizza in Hawaii?

Here's one pizza place in Honolulu that calls a pineapple and ham (plus green onions) pizza the "haole". Obviously it's a dig at the tourists who are the most likely to order it.

http://bigkahunaspizzahawaii.com/menu.php

Others have something called a "Hawaiian", but it's typically something like Kahlua pork or some other meat.

Yes, it is a favourite with ham and pineapple or on a veggie. I do not order it if they use a crumble mixture (it is greasy and yucky) I don't particularly like Canadian Bacon or Back Bacon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter