• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Spending my first Mother's Day in Disney Baby's First Trip! May 2013 PTR Updated 5/18

I'm here and joining in. Congrats on your little man! Little boys are so much fun. Our son's first Disney experience was at 13months old and our daughter turned 9 months old on her first trip. We are also like khertz in that we are doing as many trips as we can when they are young just because of the cost. Plus, we just really love seeing Disney through our kids' eyes.

Looking forward to reading more about your plans. :)

Thank you! We would've been thrilled either way but I am so excited to be a mom to a baby boy. I think after this first year when I get this mom thing down more I'll want to take him a lot before he turns 3... right now I am overwhelmed! We are also excited for Disney trips through his eyes, it's going to be amazing.

Oh, and as far as the Vera bags go...you can use them as carry-ons! I have all of the luggage pieces but my hands down favorite bag to travel with is the Carry Away tote. (I think you posted a pic of it.) It has great pockets, you can easily access it/close it, the straps have an extra pad on them that slides...great for toting it around in the airport, etc. I've carried Vera bags for a decade but that is easily my favorite travel bag.

I also use the Vera book bags as my diaper bag because I like having my hands free or if I lean to pick something up the bag doesn't fall off my shoulder. Anyways, enough of my two cents. :rotfl:

I'm always looking for an excuse for a new Vera bag :rotfl2: I have the Vera diaper bag - the new one that came out in April, I think its the crossbody one. I wish I would've gotten something better, for $100 (yes I paid full price eek! but got a free purse) that was more functional but oh well.

Hoping for some sales before my trip so I can get the giant tote for the plane!

I'm back and caught up!

First of all, I wouldn't feel too guilty about moving to the All Stars. I actually think you guys will like having two different rooms, it will give you more space to spread out and more privacy. I also think that the sound proofing is better between actually rooms than parts of the suite, so now you don't have to worry about the noise.

Oh and something else, I would ask your pediatrician about the sunscreen. We took DS when he was just shy of 4 months and I asked before we left, and our Dr told us to go ahead and put it on him. We had to be sure to wear a natural type without hormone disruptors (we use California baby). I know that every doctor is different and they all have different advice, but it might be worth it to ask. I had always heard no sunscreen until six months also. It really was peace of mind for me, I was really worried about keeping DS totally covered and out of the sun, which is pretty much impossible in Florida.

I think it's for the best too. I shouldn't be whining about it, I know we are so lucky to be able to go to Disney at all! It will be fine and we loved our 2 stays at Pop so hopefully 2 deluxe stays haven't ruined us for values :rotfl2:

I plan on asking at his 4 month checkup (end of November) about the sunscreen. I'll check out the California baby products if the pediatrician gives us the okay. I think I've seen that brand online, I've never seen any in the stores here.

I can't wait to read about your trip - happy 30 weeks!!

I always see a few people in the airport with the large VB duffel bags and always want one. I think they look a bit big and annoying to carry though. I do however plan on asking DH for the carried away tote for xmas, and I happen to want it in the pattern you have pictured:thumbsup2

I wouldn't feel bad about the resort switch. I am sure you'll enjoy having the two separate rooms. I find that I stress way too much about where I am going to stay and when I get to Disney I am usually pretty happy wherever I turn up. Every resort has something to offer and I'm sure you'll love having the extra money to pay for the extras on your trip.

Ok, I'm nosy. You mentioned you are planning on quitting your job. Are you moving to something else or are you going to be staying home with Gavin? Just curious as I've considered dropping back to per diem if we ever have another child so I can be home more than when Caitlin was born.:scratchin

I always see a few people in the airport with the large VB duffel bags and always want one. I think they look a bit big and annoying to carry though. I do however plan on asking DH for the carried away tote for xmas, and I happen to want it in the pattern you have pictured:thumbsup2

I wouldn't feel bad about the resort switch. I am sure you'll enjoy having the two separate rooms. I find that I stress way too much about where I am going to stay and when I get to Disney I am usually pretty happy wherever I turn up. Every resort has something to offer and I'm sure you'll love having the extra money to pay for the extras on your trip.

Ok, I'm nosy. You mentioned you are planning on quitting your job. Are you moving to something else or are you going to be staying home with Gavin? Just curious as I've considered dropping back to per diem if we ever have another child so I can be home more than when Caitlin was born.:scratchin

I didn't get the Vera Bradley thing for the longest time... I thought they looked like old lady bags. But after I got my nursing job I bought myself a purse in this awesome lime green color and now I'm hooked. I've gotten some awesome discounts online so they aren't even that expensive. I do the same thing... obviously the deluxes are awesome but I think we change our mind 1000x (or at least I do haha) before we go where we are staying. We stayed at Pop our first two trips and loved it so it seems silly to pay so much more for a deluxe when we are never in the room... but they are awesome, sigh. The Dis has ruined me LOL.

Definitely not doing something else... I want to stay home with baby boy full time.

Last edited:
Just reading your post and I want to assure you that you will LOVE this resort. We stayed there 3 nights after we'd booked ASMovies through ORBITZ and they goofed up our booking. Disney was very sweet about it and moved us there. I was afraid I wouldn't like it as much-it's so easy to get caught up in resort drama! We loved it. We even spent a day exploring and lounging by the pool.

Enjoy your trip and while it may not be the resort of your "dreams", it may well turn out to be the trip of your dreams! :)

I can't make up my mind....

If I keep getting canceled at work I'm not going to quit so soon... Thinking about surprising everyone including DH and switching back to AoA. I already gave up our finding Nemo room though :( hope there is availability! I would love to pull this off. I'm guessing AoA doesn't share a DME line with the all stars so I guess the secret would be out before we get there.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Awww I'm so sorry things have turned out this way ((big hugs)) you'll make it down there eventually. I'll stay subbed so I can see when y'all do make it there. Hang in there. There may be a reason you don't know about that's keeping y'all from going that will make this better in the long run.

Wow, that really sucks! :hug: I get wanting to not hurt your feelings, but he definitely should have told you before you spent all that money on airfare!

I do have to say though, I think you should still give some thought to going just the three of you. I was terrified at the thought when we took DS on his first trip, but we took it easy, let him set the pace, and it was a much easier experience than I expected. Search around for threads of people who have taken young infants. Nine times out of ten they say it's totally doable with young babies because they don't have a voice or any opinion so they go along with whatever you want to do! :laughing: Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your decision and I hope everything works out!

Well looks like we're going to Disney in 2013 after all :) will post details when I can get on the computer. Need to call and switch everything around.

Our 2014 trip will be the first week in December for my (eek) 30th birthday and to finally see Disney at Christmas.

I was very sorry to read that the trip was off, but then I was REALLY excited to hear that it is back on!

I totally agree with Khertz, having taken DS at 4, 6, and 10 months, it is really doable to take a baby to Disney, even just you and DH. I think that the 4 month trip was the easiest EVER of all the trips that we have done.

I even think it would be easier with just you and DH, than a bunch of extended family, that way you'll have lots of flexibility, and not have to worry about keeping up with anyone else schedule or inconveniencing anyone.

Looking forward to hearing the details!

will post more details later, but as for now (finally made the call to Disney last night!)

May 10-16th at Art of Animation/Nemo Suite... DH & I, baby and Uncle - cannot wait!!!!

I booked QSDP because I think that will work the best for us with an infant but thinking about DDP... not sure. Definitely have 2 ADRs planned even if we do QSDP.

So excited about AoA, it's where my heart was really at! Hoping for some sort of discount as this trip is going to cost double what the January trip was going to with one less adult LOL. Right now 4 tickets on Southwest for May is the same price as 5 for January so haven't switched them yet.

Have lost of plans made, can't wait to share.

Last edited:
I've been a terrible updater since I was pregnant and baby boy was born so I'm sorry... I think this PTR might be a lost cause at this point, although I really have not abandoned it! There just hasn't been a lot to post about at this point and baby keeps us SUPER busy!

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and Happy New Year! I hope it's filled with lots of memories and Disney vacations!

Last edited:
Babies change everything.

Except themselves!!! :rotfl2:

Happy New Year! I know 2013 will be a great one for your family.

Don't worry, all of us who have gone through the baby thing totally get the work and exhaustion and inability to get anything done! There is really no way to comprehend the amount of time or to prepare for it. But it gets better! (Or at least different)

Gavin is a cutie and I love the family pictures.

I don't make it over to the pre-trip report forum much, so I didn't see about the January trip- so sorry you had to go through all that stress!!! But I am so glad you still have a trip to Disney on the horizon.

I'll read about it if when you are able to post.

Sounds like a good work solution, working very minimal hours- you worked very hard to get where you are, so it make sense to continue to keep your foot in the door.

I'm still here! Loving those family photos. Gavin is such a little cutie!!

Thanks guys! I plan on getting some more PTR posted here in the near future. Spoiler alert: we're doing the dining plan! I made the first 3 reservations, today I'm making the last 3!

Finally starting this pre trip report for real!!

Last edited:
Loving your plans so far!!!

That is so funny about Red Robin. I don't think we have one around here, either. But the commercials that really get me are the ones for Red Lobster. There used to be one 20 minutes from where we live, but it shut down over 10 years ago. Maybe more. I think the closest one is now 2 hours away. :(

The family suite at AoA sounds perfect!!! I have seen the menu for Animation Hall posted in other trip reports and boy, the options are so interesting!!!

That's fantastic that you are starting out with a dinner at 'Ohana.

Look forward to hearing more about your trip.

Loving your plans so far!!!

That is so funny about Red Robin. I don't think we have one around here, either. But the commercials that really get me are the ones for Red Lobster. There used to be one 20 minutes from where we live, but it shut down over 10 years ago. Maybe more. I think the closest one is now 2 hours away. :(

The family suite at AoA sounds perfect!!! I have seen the menu for Animation Hall posted in other trip reports and boy, the options are so interesting!!!

That's fantastic that you are starting out with a dinner at 'Ohana.

Look forward to hearing more about your trip.

Oh I have a weakness for Red Lobster too! We don't have one here either. We live in a small town so we don't have much of anything. We do have one within an hour, but that's still too long to drive just to eat.

I've never seen a commercial for Steak N Shake but I definitely would love to eat at one in Orlando on one of our Disney trips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter