Spending my first Mother's Day in Disney Baby's First Trip! May 2013 PTR Updated 5/18

Hi- just caught up on your last couple of updates.

Hope your dad is feeling ok!

Don't beat yourself up about being so tired. You are growing a human being! That is a LOT of work. I remember being wiped out, too.

It will be interesting to see where you end up staying at Disney. I can definitely see why you have some indecision.

You have some really fun dinners planned. We have only been to a couple of places you are planning- 'Ohana and Prime Time. The food at Prime Time was really good and there was a LOT of it. Same at 'Ohana.

The atmosphere at Coral Reef is amazing. We have enjoyed the food there, too. Our only complaint with this place has been slow service. Do you have any of the Hibachi-type restaurants in your area? If not, Teppan Edo in Japan is a lot of fun. If you have seafood lovers, Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club is a really good buffet, and there are a lot of choices for landlubbers too. We always do lunch at the Sci Fi. Great atmosphere, yummy burgers and out of this world hot fudge sundaes!

I LOVE planning meals at Disney!

Congrats on completing the nursery. Are you going to post a couple of pictures?

I hate that everything is so up in the air about our next trip, but I guess that makes it exciting! NO MATTER WHAT Daniel, baby, and I are going on this trip - that is for sure!!

We do have a Japanese restaurant here, but we never go. I'm sure one or both of my brothers have been there. We enjoyed Teppan Edo, but I don't know - just not in a hurry to go back? But yes, I think it would be fun with a larger group. We have eaten at the Cape May Cafe - love the variety and eating on the Boardwalk. It was definitely brought up in discussion! Really there are just too many choices!

It would be cool to stay at a new resort, but you're right... maybe a suite isn't the best fit?

I've had lunch at both LTT and Tony's... of the 2, I'd pick LTT. We weren't that impressed with Tony's. Of course, it's been 5 years since we've been there! Maybe things have gotten better. I chose Tony's because my DDs love Lady and the Tramp, and we all love Italian food. Unfortunately, the food was just ok. The thing I recall enjoying the most was the salad dressing, if that tells you anything, LOL!

Have you thought about The Plaza? I've never been there, but I hear good things about it.

Like I said before, too many things to think about LOL. We have yet to eat at Tony's because of all the bad reviews I've read. But I want to love it, since it's in MK, and I love italian food! The Plaza has definitely made it onto our short list.

Joining in on the fun. I remember I read your last trip report and I am so happy you have a little one on the way! Congrats!

I suggest your own room rather than a suite too, we have a 7 month old and although he sleeps through the night (down at 7pm or 7:30pm), we get up at 6 am for his first feeding and I know my family would want to sleep a little longer! And if you are going to breastfeed it will be nice to have you own room to relax and have it quiet without any distractions...but the AOA does look awesome!

I am excited you are having a surprise too- we did that and it was so fun! We also got that same Monster's INc. Onesie for him and it was adorable...so sad that it no longer fits :(

Can't wait to hear more! And I hope you Dad is feeling much better by now.

Well with the suite, we'd take the bedroom that has the bathroom, so we'd have our privacy. But I still don't know if that's enough - I'm sure my brothers don't want to listen to a baby cry all night long!

I LOVE not knowing what we are having. So excited after baby gets here to start shopping for more Disney World outfits :)

Last edited:
I've had a rough week, so happy for a weekend off!!

(trip news removed due to changes)

Last edited:

Good to start reading about your plans. It is so tough for a planner when you have to consider the opinions of others in your traveling party. Especially when it is difficult to get their input!

Wow, the nursery is fantastic!!!

Ugh on the glucose test! I hated that too. It was worse for me the first pregnancy, I had to drink a flat coke syrup thingy and I got nauseous like you. It was better with Ben- I think it was a lemon-lime drink and was not quite so bad.

Joining in on your plans! I was definitely not brave enough to take a baby to WDW at 5 months old with Paxton, but now that I have survived his first 19 months, I think I'd be ok taking the 2nd little one earlier. At that age, they are so much more go with the flow because they don't really have a taste of independence yet. Hopefully you have a good stroller sleeper, that always makes things easier!

The nursery is precious! I'm normally not a big fan of Winnie the Pooh, but I really love the map and the quote over the crib. Precious! You are much better than me, I couldn't takes the suspense of not knowing the gender, but I do wish I had the willpower! I think it would be so fun to find out in the delivery room. :goodvibes

Anyway, I look forward to more of your plans!

So did anyone else get the email about the special Pixar California Coast Cruises? Is it crazy that we are actually considering taking an 8 week old on a plane to LA and on a 7 night cruise? AHH why can't they do these cruises in 2013?!

Good to start reading about your plans. It is so tough for a planner when you have to consider the opinions of others in your traveling party. Especially when it is difficult to get their input!

Wow, the nursery is fantastic!!!

Ugh on the glucose test! I hated that too. It was worse for me the first pregnancy, I had to drink a flat coke syrup thingy and I got nauseous like you. It was better with Ben- I think it was a lemon-lime drink and was not quite so bad.

My brothers have been better about talking to me about Disney. Turns out they are both excited!! Mine was orange flavored ugh I'm so glad I didn't have to do that again!!

Joining in on your plans! I was definitely not brave enough to take a baby to WDW at 5 months old with Paxton, but now that I have survived his first 19 months, I think I'd be ok taking the 2nd little one earlier. At that age, they are so much more go with the flow because they don't really have a taste of independence yet. Hopefully you have a good stroller sleeper, that always makes things easier!

The nursery is precious! I'm normally not a big fan of Winnie the Pooh, but I really love the map and the quote over the crib. Precious! You are much better than me, I couldn't takes the suspense of not knowing the gender, but I do wish I had the willpower! I think it would be so fun to find out in the delivery room. :goodvibes

Anyway, I look forward to more of your plans!

I keep reading that traveling with infants is easier than traveling with toddlers so I hope that is true. I keep saying the baby will probably be the best behaved on the trip LOL. :rotfl2: It's funny, you'd think we'd be so anxious to find out what we are having. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to find out but it's funny how much it doesn't bother me to know. I'm so impatient so I'm not sure how that happened LOL. I feel like I 100% know what it is (did I say that yet?) and I have told a lot of people that so I'll feel like a bad mother if my intuition was wrong!

Sorry to hear about your dad, and also your work restrictions. I know that it is tough not working, but take care of yourself and the baby!

Glad to hear the vacation for early next year is still on track. It's hard when you are at the point where not much more planning needs to be done.

Talk to you soon.

Trip news removed due to changes

I hope everyone is doing well and staying cool. I have the DisBoards app on my phone and I love keeping up with threads. I'm just terrible about commenting, sorry :(

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your dad, and also your work restrictions. I know that it is tough not working, but take care of yourself and the baby!

Glad to hear the vacation for early next year is still on track. It's hard when you are at the point where not much more planning needs to be done.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks! My dad is actually doing much better. He had to be transferred to a bigger hospital but they didn't do anything that hadn't already been done here. He actually went back to work last week and seems to be on the mend. He still needs to have surgery but just glad things are starting to back to normal. I got to go back to work too. That was such a long week for me, I'd have gone crazy if I had to stay off until the baby was born!!

Joining on. Congrats on the baby! Very exciting :goodvibes

Thank you! :)

If it was me, I'd save CP for the next trip when baby is a bit older. We took my DS at 14 mo and he didn't really care. He got more annoyed that the characters kept inturrupting his breakfast than anything :rotfl: He was 14 mo at that point but I think he would have enjoyed it more at 16 mo. At that age the months make a huge difference. I don't think if you have ADR's it will be too big of an issue with a 5mo. They sleep most of the time anyways. My DS at that age always slept through our meals out in his infant carrier :thumbsup2 I'm glad to hear that your BP went back to normal! These last 3 weeks will fly by! Love your maternity pictures too :goodvibes

If it was me, I'd save CP for the next trip when baby is a bit older. We took my DS at 14 mo and he didn't really care. He got more annoyed that the characters kept inturrupting his breakfast than anything :rotfl: He was 14 mo at that point but I think he would have enjoyed it more at 16 mo. At that age the months make a huge difference. I don't think if you have ADR's it will be too big of an issue with a 5mo. They sleep most of the time anyways. My DS at that age always slept through our meals out in his infant carrier :thumbsup2 I'm glad to hear that your BP went back to normal! These last 3 weeks will fly by! Love your maternity pictures too :goodvibes

That's what I was thinking, besides the brothers don't really want to do a character breakfast anyway. I think the baby may be the best behaved one on the trip, that is my gues LOL. Thanks :) Only 10 days until my due date - oh my goodness!

WoW!!! You are getting so incredibly close to meeting your little one!

Love the maternity pictures! :goodvibes

I'm glad to hear your blood pressure is under control and that you are working just a little bit. Somebody has been nesting! Everything sounds like it is under control at your home for when baby arrives.

Another excellent non-character breakfast is Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is a buffet. Can't remember if you went during your stay, but with CL, probably not. That might be a good fit for Blizzard Beach or AK day.

So, you need more dining suggestions, possibly.

The only sit down place we have eaten at is Crysal Palace. Would you consider that for dinner? It's a buffet. Or maybe one of the monorail resort restaurants? We love Kona. I know you are going there for breakfast, but...

If you get a chance, scope out the menus for places at the Grand Floridian, Contemporary or Poly.

At AK- I like Yak and Yeti (but love Boma at AKL for dinner-buffet)

At HS- you have Sci Fi. Food at Prime Time is good, and the interaction is fun if your brothers would be into it.

EP- oh, so many places, so little time...
I hear fantastic things about Via Napoli (upscale pizza and pasta) and La Hacienda (new place in Mexico). Atmosphere at Coral Reef is cool, and we enjoy the food, but service can be slow. Teppan Edo is fun, San Angel is gorgeous (but we haven't been there in YEARS), we like Moroccan food and the brothers may enjoy the Belly Dancers.

I can't wait to hear what you end up doing about dining.

Finally- best of luck with your delivery! Can't wait to hear the news and see some pictures!!!

Hey there, I'm joining in on your planning! :goodvibes

You are so close to meeting your little one, I'm sure you are super excited! I also am very impressed that you are waiting for a surprise. I could never have that kind of self control, I am always dying to know what the baby is from the moment I get that positive pregnancy test!

Are you guys planning on bringing the infant car seat into the parks? The only reason I ask is because at 5 months your little one may not be able to sit up in a highchair independently, and its hit or miss taking a stroller into the restaurants. Usually I wouldn't suggest bringing the infant car seat (because its bulky to carry around and because its not great for babies to be in it all day), but it will be cool in January, and at least then one of you wouldn't have to hold the baby for the whole meal.

Joining in...assuming by now (your ticker says 42 weeks preggo) you have had the baby?!?!?!?!?!?

Did free dining come out for your dates?

And you are right, traveling with a baby is A LOT easier than traveling with a toddler!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter