Southwest Outrageous Ticket Prices

Southwest's prices have been steadily matching other carriers because of fuel prices. In their low price peak a few years ago, they had come out ahead in a fuel bid that allowed them to out price most other airlines and not take a loss (airlines bid their fuel contracts for as much as multiple years in advance, otherwise known as hedging. It's a bit of a gamble for both the airline and the fuel provider, Southwest got lucky with an extremely low bid that expired in 2012).

Unless there is some kind of special, expect to see WN's prices on par with most other carriers for the foreseeable future... particularly with fuel prices at an extreme low.

Southwest's prices have been steadily matching other carriers because of fuel prices. In their low price peak a few years ago, they had come out ahead in a fuel bid that allowed them to out price most other airlines and not take a loss (airlines bid their fuel contracts for as much as multiple years in advance, otherwise known as hedging. It's a bit of a gamble for both the airline and the fuel provider, Southwest got lucky with an extremely low bid that expired in 2012).

Unless there is some kind of special, expect to see WN's prices on par with most other carriers for the foreseeable future... particularly with fuel prices at an extreme low.
That, and with the bankruptcies and mergers, AA, UA and DL all got to re-negotiate their contracts for things like ground support, baggage handlers, pension liability and air crews, so the playing field is pretty level. It's why AA went in and out of bankruptcy before the US merger: they were profitable, but couldn't maintain it against the competition.

That, and with the bankruptcies and mergers, AA, UA and DL all got to re-negotiate their contracts for things like ground support, baggage handlers, pension liability and air crews, so the playing field is pretty level. It's why AA went in and out of bankruptcy before the US merger: they were profitable, but couldn't maintain it against the competition.

I'm still sad that AA ate US. :( I liked US Air.

I'm still sad that AA ate US. :( I liked US Air.
As an AA flier, it's made things pretty horrible on the AA side as well. While there used to be good service and connections to the destinations I frequented, it's now pretty iffy, and they're counting on 40 minute connections with banked hubs instead of the old 90 minute connections on the spikey rolling hubs of the old AA. And when you're flying first class and send your meal back to buy food from the coach section, it's extraordinarily bad.

I never much cared for US, but they totally had a way cooler callsign. I still like the old Pan Am call sign though, a harbinger back to when the LGA MAT actually served marine aircraft. :)

As an AA flier, it's made things pretty horrible on the AA side as well. While there used to be good service and connections to the destinations I frequented, it's now pretty iffy, and they're counting on 40 minute connections with banked hubs instead of the old 90 minute connections on the spikey rolling hubs of the old AA. And when you're flying first class and send your meal back to buy food from the coach section, it's extraordinarily bad.

I never much cared for US, but they totally had a way cooler callsign. I still like the old Pan Am call sign though, a harbinger back to when the LGA MAT actually served marine aircraft. :)

I know! I always loved hearing Cactus calls on the radio (the other two I love are Redwood and Speedbird). I've never been a fan of AA, mostly due to their abysmally unacceptable seat pitch in Y, and aging fleet. I did, however, love their old livery. I miss that old polished chrome.

I know! I always loved hearing Cactus calls on the radio (the other two I love are Redwood and Speedbird). I've never been a fan of AA, mostly due to their abysmally unacceptable seat pitch in Y, and aging fleet. I did, however, love their old livery. I miss that old polished chrome.
Since I have short legs and a tall torso, I don't fit in many of the US seats - I miss the MD80's that AA flew, they fit me very well provided you weren't in the back where you couldn't hear yourself think.

The fleet age was never much of an issue for me, and now of course it's among the newest. I know why they had to get rid of the polished aluminum (the 787 is plastic), but I miss that as well. My great uncle was a navigator for AA, through the jet transition and into the 747 era - back when planes had a cockpit crew of four!

I've got my March flight booked...finally. It's not quite the dates I wanted but the price is excellent. I booked my flight to MCO on Aug 11th when the dates opened up. I got the last flight of the night departing BUF for $134. Just a few minutes earlier the price had been $120, so I quickly booked before it went up some more. However, the return flights where and still are at $299-$349 one way from MCO to BUF (about 75% of what's on the schedule is showing as unavailable). So I didn't book that. I decided to wait it out and see what happened.

Since then, my flight to MCO dropped twice and I rebooked to get a credit for $60. Then while checking for my return flight I accidentally set the date one day earlier. Well the last flight of the night departing MCO was only $119. I had to book that and with my credit I have done very well. I will still watch for something to open up for the day I actually want to come home but if not I'll be happy with what I got.

I happened to look this morning as well. My return flight from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago dropped too. Didn't expect to see that in March...on a Saturday! $188 credit!

If you are booking for a family, I noticed (for my flights anyway) that there is often only a discounted price for ONE ticket. So I changed the price for one person. The next day, the discounted price showed up again. I changed for the 2nd. I'm wating for my 3rd ticket change today. I guess there are times when they release very few discounted tickets at a time.

I just did my daily price check and today they are finally selling WGA fares for the day I actually wanted to fly home. This is the first time since the dates were extended on Aug 11th that they have shown all flights with WGA beyond March 17th. Mind you, the prices are still pretty high...if I want to change to that date it will cost me an additional $300. So at this point I'm not changing.

I just did my daily price check and today they are finally selling WGA fares for the day I actually wanted to fly home. This is the first time since the dates were extended on Aug 11th that they have shown all flights with WGA beyond March 17th. Mind you, the prices are still pretty high...if I want to change to that date it will cost me an additional $300. So at this point I'm not changing.

Thanks for reporting this. I'm checking on the WGA fares for March break (13 - 19) and just got Mar 13 at $209/person. I'm going to wait a little to book the return because I feel it will come down on both ends and then I can use the credit. I also had a Xmas trip booked and had a small $44 drop that I applied to the March break fare. This is why I still love SWA - the ability to change flights for reduced fares.

I thought it was US Air who acquired American? And prior America West acquired US Air. Many of the top managers at American used to work at America West.

Nope, American aquired US Air. They officially moved to the new AA operating certificate earlier this year, and the US routes and livery will slowly be changed to AA numbers and colors.

Nope, American aquired US Air. They officially moved to the new AA operating certificate earlier this year, and the US routes and livery will slowly be changed to AA numbers and colors.

Sure the name is American but the person running the company, Doug Parker, is the former CEO of America West, and US Air. He was the one calling the shots and acquired US Air and then American.

Sure the name is American but the person running the company, Doug Parker, is the former CEO of America West, and US Air. He was the one calling the shots and acquired US Air and then American.
AMR was the larger company and bought US Airways. The board of AA Group is a combination of both of the old boards, though Parker is obviously from the US side, but the corporate entity is from AMR group, and it keeps AA's alliance membership, aircraft orders (the US ones pretty much dropped to zilch), freight and labor contracts and so on.

AMR was the larger company and bought US Airways. The board of AA Group is a combination of both of the old boards, though Parker is obviously from the US side, but the corporate entity is from AMR group, and it keeps AA's alliance membership, aircraft orders (the US ones pretty much dropped to zilch), freight and labor contracts and so on.

I thought AMR was in bankruptcy at the time? The company had no assets they could use to acquire US Air. Doug Parker the CEO of US Air got the AMR unions to agree to not to oppose the merger. He then negotiated with AMR creditors giving them shares of the combined company. They agreed. The AMR stockholders were wiped out but the US Air stock holders got 1 share in the new company for every US Air share they owned.

I thought AMR was in bankruptcy at the time? The company had no assets they could use to acquire US Air. Doug Parker the CEO of US Air got the AMR unions to agree to not to oppose the merger. He then negotiated with AMR creditors giving them shares of the combined company. They agreed. The AMR stockholders were wiped out but the US Air stock holders got 1 share in the new company for every US Air share they owned.
AA was profitable (barely) even before the merger - they went into bankruptcy because they needed to re-negotiate the union contracts to remain competitive after the DL/NW and UA/CO mergers and to maintain operating capital. I actually made some money on my AMR shares (owned through a fund) via this deal, as AMR shareholders got 72% of the shares in the combined company, with USAir the remaining 28%.

I booked SW on opening day for our dates over Easter break and paid $570 pp rt out of Philly!!! INSANELY HIGH!! We were just in WDW last week and I just happened to check SW site again on a Monday night and it had gone down. I am flying back a day later, but am now at $418 pp rt and have a $152 credit pp to use within a year of my original booking (Aug 11). I have compared to other carriers in our area (jet blue, spirit), but by the time I add in 2 checked bags pp, the other carrier flights come out even higher! I will keep checking and adjust accordingly if they should drop again.

AMR was the larger company and bought US Airways.
Nope, US Air essentially bought AA, but kept the name because it was the stronger brand. US Air made the initial offer and the US Air CEO took over control of the combined company.

Nope, US Air essentially bought AA, but kept the name because it was the stronger brand. US Air made the initial offer and the US Air CEO took over control of the combined company.
72% vs 28% - AMR purchased US Airways, no matter who made the initial offer. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter