Southwest Outrageous Ticket Prices

72% vs 28% - AMR purchased US Airways, no matter who made the initial offer. :)
US Airways shareholders took 28%. AMR's creditors took 72%. That's who you pay to buy a company out of bankruptcy.

US Airways shareholders took 28%. AMR's creditors took 72%. That's who you pay to buy a company out of bankruptcy.
AMR wasn't in bankruptcy, it was in bankruptcy protection, but still had more liquidity than it had outstanding structured debt. And as you're hopefully aware, shareholders are creditors, the same as a bond or loan holder, just of different structures.

AMR's shareholders took a 72% stake in the new company, USA's shareholders took a 28% stake in the new company, and the combined company assumed the liabilities and capital of both. All bond and loan payments were made on time and AMR did not default on any of its debt, so the debt holders did not receive anything beyond their usual payments.

This is a bit of an oversimplification, but it should hopefully explain it.

I can't beat SW prices. Following nonstop in December ISP -MCO for $200 round trip. And yes bags fly free and if your price goes down you can rebook and get a credit good for one year. Also no charge to change when you fly. No other airline offers any of those things. I never feel locked in when I book Southwest.

I love flying Southwest and from where I fly you can't beat the price. I'm flying from Albany NY and booked a direct flight to Orlando the last week of Feb. for $89 one way with the return flight on March 3 for $99, again nonstop flight. I feel really bad for everyone that has to pay those high prices! We wouldn't be traveling at those prices.

I love flying Southwest and from where I fly you can't beat the price. I'm flying from Albany NY and booked a direct flight to Orlando the last week of Feb. for $89 one way with the return flight on March 3 for $99, again nonstop flight. I feel really bad for everyone that has to pay those high prices! We wouldn't be traveling at those prices.
I think $99 is now the best we will see from BUF but $109/$119 seems to be more common as a low fare. Those lower prices seem to be popping up mid week. Often I'm seeing fares around $159-$200+ one way.

Gah! I never pay more than $250/pp! Sometimes even closer to $200/pp. These prices are killing me. I can't justify $400/pp
I was holding off till their supposed $73 sale ended (not a single flight i needed was anywhere near 73 bucks) so i had to book today and pay the outrageous price of 779 roundtrip within 3 hours the flights price rose a hundred bucks. So my advice is book fast people prices are raising hourly.

I was holding off till their supposed $73 sale ended (not a single flight i needed was anywhere near 73 bucks) so i had to book today and pay the outrageous price of 779 roundtrip within 3 hours the flights price rose a hundred bucks. So my advice is book fast people prices are raising hourly.

I am holding out. I will cancel my trip before I pay these prices. How many people was the $779 for??? (I HOPE not per person!!)

I am the same as TJDisneymama, I was booked for Dec 26th to Jan 2nd at Orange Lake for a great price, (friend gifted me points) and saw the flight prices, had until Sept 15th to cancel the room so she could get her points back. I wasn't paying the prices for airfare on Southwest and being Canadian with the exchange didn't help, believe me. I cancelled the room, if something comes up for a last minute (anything between the 19th of Dec and Jan 2nd) we will consider it. I paid a $122 each way last year, Dec 23rd home on Jan 1st, and the year before I paid a $102 each way, Dec 20th to 28th. First time was Flint to Tampa, last year was Buf to MCO. Crazy insane prices this year. March Break I booked from Toronto on Porter for 4 people $1660 return, both non stop.

I am the same as TJDisneymama, I was booked for Dec 26th to Jan 2nd at Orange Lake for a great price, (friend gifted me points) and saw the flight prices, had until Sept 15th to cancel the room so she could get her points back. I wasn't paying the prices for airfare on Southwest and being Canadian with the exchange didn't help, believe me. I cancelled the room, if something comes up for a last minute (anything between the 19th of Dec and Jan 2nd) we will consider it. I paid a $122 each way last year, Dec 23rd home on Jan 1st, and the year before I paid a $102 each way, Dec 20th to 28th. First time was Flint to Tampa, last year was Buf to MCO. Crazy insane prices this year. March Break I booked from Toronto on Porter for 4 people $1660 return, both non stop.
I just booked Delta from DTW to MCO last week for $290 pp rt Dec 20 - 27. It's sitting at $340 right now if those dates fit. A 6:30 departure, 10:30 return. We got a great deal even with the crappy CAD exchange factored in!

I purchased my ticket for early December in June, PIT/MCO, $260 RT. I've watched it to see if I could get a credit but it's gone nowhere but up - $394 today! I paid over $400 for a ticket in June 2009 so it's not a new thing. I haven't seen under $200 RT in a long time.

I just booked Delta from DTW to MCO last week for $290 pp rt Dec 20 - 27. It's sitting at $340 right now if those dates fit. A 6:30 departure, 10:30 return. We got a great deal even with the crappy CAD exchange factored in!
Thank you....will look.

I'm looking at $1,792 for 4 tix from Chicago for 4/2-4/10. Before checking out this thread, I was thinking no way - I've never paid that much for Disney airfare (except for Christmas). But now, I'm thinking maybe I should just book. And if it drops, I take the credit and book a little getaway.....?

Double check Southwest today!!! My flights dropped. Opening day was at $570 pp; dropped a few weeks ago to $418 pp and today dropped to $318 pp! I now have a $254 credit for each of us to use within a year from my original booking! We are PHL to MCO!

My flights dropped too and I got a 164 credit. I wish I could apply it to my flight home. I just switched to a non stop for only 32 more pp which in my eyes is worth it especially in Feb

Easter flights took a HUGE plunge! This is between BUF and MCO. March 20 flights are $107/$114. Return on the day after Easter ranging from $187 to $249.

So ours dropped on the way back, but not on the way down. Unless I move our trip back one day - those dropped like crazy!! To the degree that it actually justifies an extra night. Just hope those prices stick til morning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter