Southwest Early Bird and MCO

Honestly, if I'm traveling with my family (with young children), I don't see a real need for EBCI. I like the fact that they have the families w/children check in between A and B. You don't feel as rushed, other people know that it's time for families to board, so you're not ticking off those who also got EBCI for the exact reason not to get stuck behind someone with a stroller, it's just a nice setup. Plus, there's usually enough seats to go around at that point still. Why add more cost to the already high cost of airfare? :confused3

Honestly, if I'm traveling with my family (with young children), I don't see a real need for EBCI. I like the fact that they have the families w/children check in between A and B. You don't feel as rushed, other people know that it's time for families to board, so you're not ticking off those who also got EBCI for the exact reason not to get stuck behind someone with a stroller, it's just a nice setup. Plus, there's usually enough seats to go around at that point still. Why add more cost to the already high cost of airfare? :confused3

I have been reading that on some flights with lots of families that SW drops family boarding and everyone boards by the group and number they were given at check in.

I have been reading that on some flights with lots of families that SW drops family boarding and everyone boards by the group and number they were given at check in.

I am by no means an expert, but we have flown form NY to Orlando and back for 10 different trips over the past 5 years and have never seen them skip family boarding. One trip we paid for EBCI and got B1-4, but more people then you could imagine boarded during family boarding, including a giant family reunion! I wouldn't worry about them cancelling it.

Just remember whatever boarding position you get with EBCI it would have been worse than if you had checked in at the 24 hour time.

I read on a travel blog that this isn't necessarily true. They said that when someone cancels a flight, their boarding assignment goes back into pool to be reassigned. For example, apparently you could get B10 as EBCI at T36, but then if someone who had A30 cancelled their flight at T10, the person who checks right after that cancellation could get that A30 assignment.

Now, as to whether that blog was correct is another question. Then again, everything I read on the internet is true, right?

I read on a travel blog that this isn't necessarily true. They said that when someone cancels a flight, their boarding assignment goes back into pool to be reassigned. For example, apparently you could get B10 as EBCI at T36, but then if someone who had A30 cancelled their flight at T10, the person who checks right after that cancellation could get that A30 assignment.

Now, as to whether that blog was correct is another question. Then again, everything I read on the internet is true, right?
I believe the blog is correct. You have to be lucky to get one of those. Someone must cancel their flight and then you need to be the first person to check in after the cancellation goes through.

I am by no means an expert, but we have flown form NY to Orlando and back for 10 different trips over the past 5 years and have never seen them skip family boarding. One trip we paid for EBCI and got B1-4, but more people then you could imagine boarded during family boarding, including a giant family reunion! I wouldn't worry about them cancelling it.

I have seen them skip it once or twice. And giant family reunion? Ugh. Isn't it supposed to be one adult and for every child 4 and under? That would annoy me.

I have no doubt you're accurately posting your experience with Southwest boarding. Likewise I have no doubt the posters who report family mid-boarding being limited to one adult with a young child and those who report no family boarding are also accurately posting their experiences.

The GA has the authority to enforce or even eliminate family mid-boarding.

I checked our return flight from MCO-BUF and it has sold out all categories. So given that, plus the fact that T24 falls in the middle of the day, I bought the EBCI for the return flight. For the outbound flight I am going to check in at T24 and see what happens. This is our first time flying out of Buffalo (we usually fly direct from Toronto but prices were crazy this time) so I hope not buying ECBI for the outbound works out ok.

Lewisc said:
I have no doubt you're accurately posting your experience with Southwest boarding. Likewise I have no doubt the posters who report family mid-boarding being limited to one adult with a young child and those who report no family boarding are also accurately posting their experiences.

The GA has the authority to enforce or even eliminate family mid-boarding.

I never said they are not correct. I simply reported what I have experienced.

pigletto said:
I have seen them skip it once or twice. And giant family reunion? Ugh. Isn't it supposed to be one adult and for every child 4 and under? That would annoy me.

It is supposed to be one adult and child. I complained but was told ultimately it is up to the agent at the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter