Southwest Early Bird and MCO

In all seriousness?? Those that are annoyed with the whole seat saving practice need to write to SW and let them know that they will not be flying with SW again until this is addressed. It is unfair to pay addtl costs while others are circumventing the system.
Perhaps if enough people complain, via the mail/email, then SW will finally 'get it', and start doing something about it.

In all seriousness?? Those that are annoyed with the whole seat saving practice need to write to SW and let them know that they will not be flying with SW again until this is addressed. It is unfair to pay addtl costs while others are circumventing the system.
Perhaps if enough people complain, via the mail/email, then SW will finally 'get it', and start doing something about it.

Agree...when this happened to us I complained via phone and email

Ask for a refund of your EBCI if you see this and are unable to get a decent seat. Someone posted that they got a refund.

Or, SW could just charge for 'checkin' service only. The getting of a 'better boarding group' would be a lesser perk. You would only be paying for not having to checkin yourself.

I think this is the way to go. It really is all you're getting with EBCI so they may as well market it that way. It allows people to know what they're paying for and decide if it's worth it without thinking they're getting something more.

At the very least they could make an announcement before boarding that there is to be no seat saving.

But they don't have a policy against saving seats so why would they make that announcement? There's no policy either way. Nothing prevents someone from trying to save 27 seats just as nothing prevents you from sitting in one of the 27 they're trying to save. If everyone is being reasonable, it all works out. It's people who go too far and don't exercise reasonable common sense and courtesy that mess it up.

Oh-oh.....after reading this thread, i am getting all panicky!!!! We are flying SW in a few weeks for the 1st time.....how the heck do we manage this whole crazy boarding process. We have 7 seats - all wanna get away fares - yes we bought a ticket for the 2 month old. 2 strollers to be gate checked as well as using 2 car seats on the flight itself. See sig for ages of our kids. Am i understanding this correctly - that we may not all be able to board together?? They would not seriously expect us to have our 6/9/11 year olds stand there without us? Or that we wouldn't be sitting together on board???

Ok SW experts - help a newbie out here. What should our plan be?? We are doing Buffalo-MCO and then the return 2 weeks later.

Oh-oh.....after reading this thread, i am getting all panicky!!!! We are flying SW in a few weeks for the 1st time.....how the heck do we manage this whole crazy boarding process. We have 7 seats - all wanna get away fares - yes we bought a ticket for the 2 month old. 2 strollers to be gate checked as well as using 2 car seats on the flight itself. See sig for ages of our kids. Am i understanding this correctly - that we may not all be able to board together?? They would not seriously expect us to have our 6/9/11 year olds stand there without us? Or that we wouldn't be sitting together on board???

Ok SW experts - help a newbie out here. What should our plan be?? We are doing Buffalo-MCO and then the return 2 weeks later.
I'm not a SW expert, but...

1) Check with SW and make sure all the tickets are linked on one reservation.
2) Sign up for EBCI for everyone. That will be $87.50 each direction (that's assuming the new rate of $12.50/passenger).
3) Sometime after 24 hours from departure, print your boarding pass. It will show your boarding assignment.
3A) *IF* the numbers are not sequential, when you get to the airport, you can let the people separating you go ahead of you in line.
3B) *IF* you happen to get 'B' boarding numbers, check with the gate agent and see if family boarding is available. If so, one adult goes on with the two year old and the car seats during family boarding.

Thanks sam_gordon.

So frustrating to have to shell out another $175 just to be able to sit WITH my kids! Seems ridiculous to me.....if they were teenagers, ok no prob i get it; but they are young kids :(

Thanks sam_gordon.

So frustrating to have to shell out another $175 just to be able to sit WITH my kids! Seems ridiculous to me.....if they were teenagers, ok no prob i get it; but they are young kids :(
Well, another way to do it is to pay EBCI for just you or husband. The rest check in at the 24 hour mark. Whoever gets EBCI boards with the two car seats. This way the younger ones are with an adult.

And even if you didn't get EBCI, you'd probably still get to sit together, there's just more pressure to check in at the 24 hour mark. EBCI just helps "guarantee" it.

sam_gordon said:
Well, another way to do it is to pay EBCI for just you or husband. The rest check in at the 24 hour mark. Whoever gets EBCI boards with the two car seats. This way the younger ones are with an adult.

And even if you didn't get EBCI, you'd probably still get to sit together, there's just more pressure to check in at the 24 hour mark. EBCI just helps "guarantee" it.

So could DH get EBCI and theoretically save the remaining seats (said in a whisper as she runs away before getting flamed........)??

I think this is the way to go. It really is all you're getting with EBCI so they may as well market it that way. It allows people to know what they're paying for and decide if it's worth it without thinking they're getting something more.

But they don't have a policy against saving seats so why would they make that announcement? There's no policy either way. Nothing prevents someone from trying to save 27 seats just as nothing prevents you from sitting in one of the 27 they're trying to save. If everyone is being reasonable, it all works out. It's people who go too far and don't exercise reasonable common sense and courtesy that mess it up.
I have never heard an announcement about not saving seats with SW before. BUT...I have heard them make this announcement...'This is a completely full flight everyone. There will not be any empty seats!!'. Then, the shuffle starts. All those that tried saving seats, usually the middle seat, were then moving around to avoid having a stranger sitting in between them and another family member.
My issue is when I pay for EBCI, for everyone in my group, and one person in a group of 8, buys EBCI for just themselves. Then, they try to save the other 7 seats together. That's not fair.

Relax..you most likely won't have an issue. You will be able to board inbetween the A and B groups with family boarding since you have two kids under 4. I really can't imagine SW having the rest of the family board later.

It would seem that there are those out there that book SW without understanding how boarding works. And then, chaos ensues at the gate. No one wants to be split up from the rest of their family. But, if you don't get how the system works, that can happen. BUT....SW will do what it can do to get you all together.

sam_gordon said:
Theoretically... :rolleyes1

Well now that i have been well educated on how SW operates, i really should follow the rules :)
With any luck (& a little pre-disney pixie dust), maybe the flight down @ 7:30AM won't be too full.

goofy4tink said:
I have never heard an announcement about not saving seats with SW before. BUT...I have heard them make this announcement...'This is a completely full flight everyone. There will not be any empty seats!!'. Then, the shuffle starts. All those that tried saving seats, usually the middle seat, were then moving around to avoid having a stranger sitting in between them and another family member.
My issue is when I pay for EBCI, for everyone in my group, and one person in a group of 8, buys EBCI for just themselves. Then, they try to save the other 7 seats together. That's not fair.

Relax..you most likely won't have an issue. You will be able to board inbetween the A and B groups with family boarding since you have two kids under 4. I really can't imagine SW having the rest of the family board later.

It would seem that there are those out there that book SW without understanding how boarding works. And then, chaos ensues at the gate. No one wants to be split up from the rest of their family. But, if you don't get how the system works, that can happen. BUT....SW will do what it can do to get you all together.

Yep, guilty here. I am one of those people LOL Have never flown SW and had NO IDEA about all of this until today when i read through this thread.

I promise we will follow the rules.....

Well now that i have been well educated on how SW operates, i really should follow the rules :)
With any luck (& a little pre-disney pixie dust), maybe the flight down @ 7:30AM won't be too full.

I haven't been on a less than full flight in a long time including the early morning flights.

Don't panic you have a few options -
Since SWA allows one parent to board with each child 4 or under your entire family will be able to use family boarding even if they limit it. Dad boards with the 2yo and Mom with the baby and they won't make the other children board alone if there is no other adult to accompny them.

This happens between the A and B group and if you head to the rear of the aircraft you should have no trouble finding seats with/or near each other.

Check in at T24 for the best chance at an A boarding pass - then you board prior to family boarding.

Purchase EBCI and you have an even better chance at an A. I would at least consider purchasing EBCI for the return trip as there will be many more families leaving WDW and you won't have to stress about being at a computer, phone etc at T24. I don't like the seat saving so I personally purchase EBCI for all in our party or none and almost always for the return flight.

No matter what you won't get 7 seats together as SWA is 3 across, asile, then 3 across. So I would decide ahead of time who sits with whom, Mom with the baby, dad with the 2yo and the older kids in a row aside or in front of you. Make sure the older kids have their own bag and make sure the proper parent has the proper bag for the 2yo and the baby.

I haven't been on a less than full flight in a long time including the early morning flights.

Don't panic you have a few options -
Since SWA allows one parent to board with each child 4 or under your entire family will be able to use family boarding even if they limit it. Dad boards with the 2yo and Mom with the baby and they won't make the other children board alone if there is no other adult to accompny them.

This happens between the A and B group and if you head to the rear of the aircraft you should have no trouble finding seats with/or near each other.

Check in at T24 for the best chance at an A boarding pass - then you board prior to family boarding.

Purchase EBCI and you have an even better chance at an A. I would at least consider purchasing EBCI for the return trip as there will be many more families leaving WDW and you won't have to stress about being at a computer, phone etc at T24. I don't like the seat saving so I personally purchase EBCI for all in our party or none and almost always for the return flight.

No matter what you won't get 7 seats together as SWA is 3 across, asile, then 3 across. So I would decide ahead of time who sits with whom, Mom with the baby, dad with the 2yo and the older kids in a row aside or in front of you. Make sure the older kids have their own bag and make sure the proper parent has the proper bag for the 2yo and the baby.

And I was thinking that Disney was hard to plan :confused: oh boy, this whole travelling with 5 kids is more challenging than I thought :eek:

And I was thinking that Disney was hard to plan :confused: oh boy, this whole travelling with 5 kids is more challenging than I thought :eek:

LOL - I know what you mean! You are going to be doing the who sits with whom just as much once you get to Dinsey I think !!

FWIW I would consider letting the 2yo ride on the plane without the carseat and if your using magical express you may be able to skip it all together.

No flames please .....as I have read that the benefits of a carseat on the aircraft decrease as the child gets older. This may also allow the 2yo to use the tray table and keep them from kicking the seatback of the person in front. Unless they are tiny or have other issues/needs I would consider checking it or going without - just a gentle suggestion to lighten your load !

So could DH get EBCI and theoretically save the remaining seats (said in a whisper as she runs away before getting flamed........)??
Well, kind of not so fair to others. Here's the thing. Your dh would have to save 6 seats..and that is not going to make him so very popular. That's two complete rows!!!

I would try to use the one car seat as already mentioned. If your 2 y/o is normal sized, you should be fine. Makes less to juggle at the airport.

As already noted, you most likely will have no issues. You will all be able to board in between the A and B groups. As noted, if you head to the rear of the plane, you should have no issue getting two entire rows together. I would recommend taking two consecutive rows, not next to each other. Take the last row, put the kids in that row, and then you you and the little ones sit in front of them. Put dad across the aisle, last row from the older kids. That way, if the older kids get nudgy, they will be nudging your seat, not a strangers.

I also like to pay for EBCI for the return flight. That way, you don't have to worry about being close to a computer to check in. But, you will most likely be able to board the same way you did flying down....family boarding.

tjmw2727 said:
LOL - I know what you mean! You are going to be doing the who sits with whom just as much once you get to Dinsey I think !!

FWIW I would consider letting the 2yo ride on the plane without the carseat and if your using magical express you may be able to skip it all together.

No flames please .....as I have read that the benefits of a carseat on the aircraft decrease as the child gets older. This may also allow the 2yo to use the tray table and keep them from kicking the seatback of the person in front. Unless they are tiny or have other issues/needs I would consider checking it or going without - just a gentle suggestion to lighten your load !

To be honest, the carseat for DS2 was more about keeping him contained/buckled in rather than safety (shame on me tsk tsk). He would have the seatbelt figured out in a heartbeat and then good luck getting him to stay in his seat for the duration of the flight!! So if he is all buckled in like he is in our van - then no worries :)

goofy4tink said:
Well, kind of not so fair to others. Here's the thing. Your dh would have to save 6 seats..and that is not going to make him so very popular. That's two complete rows!!!

I would try to use the one car seat as already mentioned. If your 2 y/o is normal sized, you should be fine. Makes less to juggle at the airport.

As already noted, you most likely will have no issues. You will all be able to board in between the A and B groups. As noted, if you head to the rear of the plane, you should have no issue getting two entire rows together. I would recommend taking two consecutive rows, not next to each other. Take the last row, put the kids in that row, and then you you and the little ones sit in front of them. Put dad across the aisle, last row from the older kids. That way, if the older kids get nudgy, they will be nudging your seat, not a strangers.

I also like to pay for EBCI for the return flight. That way, you don't have to worry about being close to a computer to check in. But, you will most likely be able to board the same way you did flying down....family boarding.

Great suggestion about putting the wiggly kids behind us so if they start messing around - it is me they are bugging and not some poor stranger.

Plus the back of the plane is closest to the washrooms for potty trips/diaper changes (soooo looking forward to that!! I HATE airplane lavatories. Ewwwww)

I'm making the assumption that like most other airplanes, people generally want the front? So if we can "secure" the back rows - that would be awesome. My biggest worry is that the plane will be overbooked and we will all be separated. Hopefully not.

So if we do online check-in 24 hours pre-flight - is there any option to choose the very back?? Probably not, right?

And nope, we will not "save" seats. I graduated from the class of 2012 SW MCO thread :). I am following the rules baby!!!

To be honest, the carseat for DS2 was more about keeping him contained/buckled in rather than safety (shame on me tsk tsk). He would have the seatbelt figured out in a heartbeat and then good luck getting him to stay in his seat for the duration of the flight!! So if he is all buckled in like he is in our van - then no worries :)

Makes sense-of course only you can decide if it's worth it to take the carseat! Would the cares harness work ? here is a link to the webiste and if it looks like a good alternative, they are available to rent via lots of reputable sellers on ebay for reasonable prices.

http://kidsflysafe.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter