Southwest - Assigned Seats??

Till 10-15 people are in the "A" line and than I line up, sometimes I can be number 15 and STILL get a Good seat! I LOVE SW!:thumbsup2 Or, I just sit it out and wait till the plane starts to unload and than jump in line.;)

I have been #45 in the "A" line and still gotten a good seat! :lmao: I have flown SWA as a single business traveler, with my hubby on vacation, with my grandkids (both preboard age and not), and love :love: SWA! I honestly can't remember the last time I was seated past row 10 on a flight on SWA. I recently flew NWA for the first time in years and while yes, I did have an assigned seat, found the boarding process horrendous! Of course first class boards first, then the elite members, then everyone else all at once! Talk about a mad rush! :scared1: And given the horror stories I read about other airlines continually changing flight times and not reassigning seats I'll take my chances with SWA every time! :thumbsup2

I love the a-b-c boarding. I believe the reason the a-b-c boarding is still around is because many others just like me love it to. There is a problem when a business changes the core of their identity in an attempt to attract new business. It ends up in the loss of both old and new customers. i.e. new coke.

I have 109 segments in the past 24 months with sw. I fly them all the time, except when it is impossible, or overseas. (although I expect that is coming, as soon as Virgin ia able to begin discount in -US service)

With a-b-c, I do not have the hassel of trying to change a seat. I pick where I want to sit. If I am late, I sit in the middle. I deal with it because I know I am in control of when I get my pass. With the family, I just check in at the 24 hour mark. I have never had a problem sitting together on SW. I have had the problem on other airlines.

Plus, while the FF program has changed, and I do not like some of the seat restrictions they now have in place, it remains the easiest program to use your tickets on, and, the airline remains the easiest to change your flights on the run.

There was a huge outcry over the issue of assigned seats. The sw blog entry about them went on for pages and pages most of the comments being negative. The survey was overwhelmingly against assigned seats.

One hint, as a family, if you have younger children, and have a late boarding pass -- b or c., tell the gate agent before the plane boards. I have seen, and it has been done for me as well, where the attendants will save the last row, and not allow anyone to sit in it, so that the family coming onboard is able to sit together.

Need to be nice to the gate agent though. Bring her a cookie form the kiosk up the way. :)

People start standing in line one hour before boarding etc, then there is a mad rush when the boarding is announced.
I'm curious about this "mad rush". I fly SW dozens of times a year, and have never seen it - just people waiting in orderly lines. The only rushes I see are on other airlines that have no lines and board by seat number of boarding group. What mad rushes have you experienced?

If people want to wait in line for an hour - it doesn't bother me. I think most are just people who are at the airport anyway, and feel waiting in line is no different that waiting anyplace else.

Oh, and a note to the crazy A-line folks. I board at the end of the A's. I'd say at least half the time there is at least one exit row seat available by the time I board. Not sure why - but it's there for me.

Pre-boarders, on flights to/from MCO, can get out of hand. Otherwise just make sure you get an "A" BP, stay seated and board near the end of the "A" group. You shouldn't have a problem getting seats together.

Some of the passengers standing up on the "A" line are hoping for an exit row seat others just line up becuase they see a line and think they should also line up.

I used to enjoy SWA but the A,B,C seating arrangement has gotten out of hand.

People start standing in line one hour before boarding etc, then there is a mad rush when the boarding is announced.

I love SWA's history but I think it is time for a change IMHO.

Until then, we fly other airlines where there is not as much of a cattle call to board a plane.

I love the a-b-c boarding. I believe the reason the a-b-c boarding is still around is because many others just like me love it to. There is a problem when a business changes the core of their identity in an attempt to attract new business. It ends up in the loss of both old and new customers. i.e. new coke.

I have 109 segments in the past 24 months with sw. I fly them all the time, except when it is impossible, or overseas. (although I expect that is coming, as soon as Virgin ia able to begin discount in -US service)

With a-b-c, I do not have the hassel of trying to change a seat. I pick where I want to sit. If I am late, I sit in the middle. I deal with it because I know I am in control of when I get my pass. With the family, I just check in at the 24 hour mark. I have never had a problem sitting together on SW. I have had the problem on other airlines.

Plus, while the FF program has changed, and I do not like some of the seat restrictions they now have in place, it remains the easiest program to use your tickets on, and, the airline remains the easiest to change your flights on the run.

There was a huge outcry over the issue of assigned seats. The sw blog entry about them went on for pages and pages most of the comments being negative. The survey was overwhelmingly against assigned seats.

I agree 100% with the above post. I have flown Southwest 50 times in the past 12 months. I have never gotten a B or a C boarding pass. I fly out of Orlando exclusively. I always do my boarding pass at the 24 hr mark. I never stand in the A line at all. I wait until the A's are just about done boarding, then get in line, and I always get my choice of any seat or any row I want including exit rows.

I hope Southwest never changes to assigned seats. I prefer to NOT sit next to screaming,unbehaved,etc kids.:thumbsup2

We will be flying next msy with a group of seven and there will be two children any ideas for a smoother trip?

ve seen some people get pissed for families trying to sit together, but have seen an equal number of people berate the po'd people for doing so (me included :) )

We will be flying next msy with a group of seven and there will be two children any ideas for a smoother trip?

How old are the children? Children under 5 are usually allowed to preboard with parents and siblings at the very least. If there are too many preboarders, extended family may have to board with their regular boarding group.

No assigned seats is the primary reason we try to avoid Southwest to Florida. First, the number of pre-boards usually rules out getting seats together for our family of 4 anywhere forward of the wings. Second, the "A line crazies" who stake out their spots more than an hour in advance add to the stress level at the gate. I've even seen people get into arguments over who was first in line! Other than the cattle herding at the gate / seating issue, SW is o.k.

Why do you need to be forward of the wings? I head behind the exit rows, I don't want to sit in the middle of the screaming kids in the front. Or worse, in front of them when they start kicking the seat or banging the tray.

How old are the children? Children under 5 are usually allowed to preboard with parents and siblings at the very least. If there are too many preboarders, extended family may have to board with their regular boarding group.

The children will be 12 and 10 at the time we fly? They do not know we are going yet. It is a christmas gift from my parents to them .My dad can not walk long distances so i hope they let him preboard to.

I wait until the plane starts boarding... I am generally about the last A to board. I then go to the back of the plane. (I have done a study... all parts of the plane go to the same place. The only time I have not had a lot of empty seats to choose from was on some thru flights out of Chicago. In those cases it probably didn't matter. If the plane was 90% full from Chicago it's not like the Nashville boarders had a lot of choices.

And if someone is RUDE and holding seats my fellow business travelers and I are just as rude back. We take them! LOL! (I am serious, I have seen business travelers just move the 10 jackets mom has spread out all over creation) Actually on my last SW flights the FAs are standing in the exit row and preventing "holding" of those seats. (Really ticked one passenger off.)

No assigned seats is the primary reason we try to avoid Southwest to Florida. First, the number of pre-boards usually rules out getting seats together for our family of 4 anywhere forward of the wings. Second, the "A line crazies" who stake out their spots more than an hour in advance add to the stress level at the gate. I've even seen people get into arguments over who was first in line! Other than the cattle herding at the gate / seating issue, SW is o.k.

We avoid SW as well. I've never wanted to hassle with checking in 24 hours in advance and really prefer to know where I am sitting when I purchase the ticket. Myself and DS are nervous flyers and I never wanted to take a chance of the 4 of us not sitting together as a family.

We're jetBlue fans anyway.

The children will be 12 and 10 at the time we fly? They do not know we are going yet. It is a christmas gift from my parents to them .My dad can not walk long distances so i hope they let him preboard to.

12 and 10 are too old to preboard. If your dad is not disabled and can walk onto the plane, he may not be able to either, but he can check with the gate agent. There is a chance the entire group will not be permitted to preboard with him even if he is allowed.

Go online 24 hours prior to your flight and check your party in. The odds are good for A passes at that point.

First of all - the 4 of us split up into 2 groups of 2 .

I was considering haveing the 2 little sit in front of us beside some nicely dressed business folks. They could color with their magic markers :cool1: and talk to their new friends. DS7 is a world class talker ...:cool1:

I used to fly a lot with assigned seating and it took forever to board and get seats straightened out. I love SW. You just get on the plane and go..... seems easier to me.

We avoid SW as well. I've never wanted to hassle with checking in 24 hours in advance and really prefer to know where I am sitting when I purchase the ticket. Myself and DS are nervous flyers and I never wanted to take a chance of the 4 of us not sitting together as a family.

I feel similar - my dh is a very nervous flyer and my dd gets airsick:scared: However I LUV Southwest :)

Other than with Jet Blue I have never ended up with the seats I picked come actual flight time. AA and Delta were the worst- no matter how far in advance I booked they always changed our seats. I am often the solo adult with my 2 dd's and I had way too many stressful times with the gate agents and or FA's trying to get seated together when my dd's were under 5.

With SWA I book the flights I want and then take responsibility for the rest. To check in 24 hours in advance takes literally 2 minutes online to get an A pass. If I am away my dh or ds do it for me or I use my cellphone. We arrive at the airport reasonably early to clear security, grab a drink and snack and head to the gate. I have always been able to get seats for us together either 3 in a row or dh and I each with one dd. I have also found the FA's on SW to be the best - helpful and kind but firm enough to keep things in order (funny too:) )

Just got Manchester to Williamsburg for 29.00 pp - can't beat that.

TJ

The problem is if you read this board is there is case after case where people's seat assignments were dropped and they ended up split up. They have to check their reservations everyday to make sure they weren't changed. Then they have to call to get them fixed. That seems more of a hassle than Southwest.

The problem is if you read this board is there is case after case where people's seat assignments were dropped and they ended up split up. They have to check their reservations everyday to make sure they weren't changed. Then they have to call to get them fixed. That seems more of a hassle than Southwest.

As is often pointed out, your purchase of a ticket does not gurantee you that seat you chose. You aren't buying seat 17A, B and C. You are buying "any" seat on the plane. The airlines can and may move you. And the truth is that if you book months in advance you are probably going to get changed. I tend to book "days" in advance and never have a problem LOL!

Southwest isn't for everybody. But I just want to point out to others who are on the fence that for most folks, Southwest is actually better for nervous fliers unwilling to take a chance at not sitting together.

I never worry with Southwest. With Southwest, I am in control of where I am my family sit. I get my A pass (it's really no hassle in my book), get on the plane and pick my seat.

With other airlines, I'm not in control, the airline is. There are any number of ways the airline can mess up my seats. So until I'm actually on the plane and see that nobody is in my seat, I'm always a bit worried that something will go wrong.

Can't knock your choice of Jet Blue however. They are great, and those TV's are to die for.

OK, I must be honest I didn't read this whole thread...hopefully someone will read this, if I am traveling w/ a child under 4 (it will be me, DH, DD7, DS3) do I really need to worry about getting a boarding pass so early (A,B,C?) Or will WE (ALL of us) be able to go on early??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter