Southwest 50,000 points offer

KKB, no you do NOT need to cancel his card that is linked to your account in order to open a new account in his name. I just did this recently, it is a totally separate account so will qualify for the 50,000 once the required amount is spent. Now I am thinking I will cancel my card so I will be able to get a new one in a few years!

I was really hoping that was the case. Hoping to repeat this the beginning of next year under his account! This a HUGE deal for us with a child at college 10 hours away...and another either heading there or further away!

I know my husband's cousin is an optometrist & they charge everything for the business on SWA cards so they actually earn companion status by spending $! Even if we charged EVERYTHING we buy we could never get there!

I know my husband's cousin is an optometrist & they charge everything for the business on SWA cards so they actually earn companion status by spending $! Even if we charged EVERYTHING we buy we could never get there!

I had DH wait till after the first of the year to put $2000 on the new card so that our 50,000 bonus would post in 2015. He has his own semi and charges a lot of fuel, so there is a slim chance we can make companion pass with the 50,000 head start. Fuel prices are down, though, so it's doubtful, unless we have a big repair to charge (which I don't really want!).

Now that we have two in my name, though, I might see about putting some personal expenses on one and have him use the other and see where that gets us.

What is the minimum age to get one of these cards?
I think you're credit score will be more important than your age. You have to be 18 to legally enter into a contract, but you probably wouldn't get approved, or at least not a high enough credit limit that you could even meet the minimum spend requirements.

I think you're credit score will be more important than your age. You have to be 18 to legally enter into a contract, but you probably wouldn't get approved, or at least not a high enough credit limit that you could even meet the minimum spend requirements.

Good point. We have these cards for DH and myself, but I was wondering about getting one for our oldest DD who just recently turned 18. She does have very limited income though. I might call into the rep and see what they think. I definitely don't want to put a mark on her credit by applying for a card and getting rejected. That would not be good.

Good point. We have these cards for DH and myself, but I was wondering about getting one for our oldest DD who just recently turned 18. She does have very limited income though. I might call into the rep and see what they think. I definitely don't want to put a mark on her credit by applying for a card and getting rejected. That would not be good.

My son applied when he was 18, and he already had a student loan and his own Citibank card, and he was rejected for the SW card. He had also been an auth user on my two Disney Visa's for several years at the time.

I applied for the credit card on Sunday. It's on its way. I plan on putting $2000 on it immediately.

I want to fly in June. Do you Think I'll have the points in time?

We did this for our trip last May...my Mom and Grandma each got a card and we were able to book 6 tickets. I applied for one in December and have already spent my $2000. Just waiting for Southwest to release their August dates.

I applied for the credit card on Sunday. It's on its way. I plan on putting $2000 on it immediately.

I want to fly in June. Do you Think I'll have the points in time?

Yes, I think you'll have the points in time, especially if you already had a Rapid Rewards account number to put on the credit application. I have found that the points post almost immediately once you hit the $2000 mark. LOVE that they post to your Rapid Rewards account and not the credit card account (like the Disney VISA does) so you don't have to swap or transfer or anything; they will just show up in your Rapid Rewards balance.

SO glad we applied for the Premier cards, DH and I each got 50,000 more points. We already each had the regular SW card. We can fly now for awhile, several trips.

Ok that's what I was wondering if it was card activity or flight activity. Thanks.

I got the personal and business cards for 50k each. Transfered in the remaining points from my Hyatt account and got the companion pass good thru 2016. The best thing about it is that you can use the CP when you book with points as well as when you book with cash. It's a sweet deal.

Don't forget to looking at the shopping rewards offers on the SWA website. I got 1300 point for paying $12 for the wall street journal 12 week online subscription and I also got 1400 points for the New York times online subscriptions. so that was 2700 points toward my 110K companion pass. I needed a new computer and printer and there was a 4 point per dollar offer for Staples and if by using the SWA CC I got and extra point per dollar and got 2300 points for that purchase. Paid my car insurance and filled the freezer. There was an offer last week for 1000 point if you spent $29.99 at 1-800 flowers. Came in handed for Valentines day. So by taking advantage of those offers I was able to get the 6000 points for very little money. Next month I will have my 110K in points!! I got SWA my cards 3 weeks ago this Friday.

Last edited:
Don't forget to looking at the shopping rewards offers on the SWA website. I got 1300 point for paying $12 for the wall street journal 12 week online subscription and I also got 1400 points for the New York times online subscriptions. so that was 2700 points toward my 110K companion pass. I needed a new computer and printer and there was a 4 point per dollar offer for Staples and if by using the SWA CC I got and extra point per dollar and got 2300 points for that purchase. Paid my car insurance and filled the freezer. There was an offer last week for 1000 point if you spent $29.99 at 1-800 flowers. Came in handed for Valentines day. So by taking advantage of those offers I was able to get the 6000 points for very little money. Next month I will have my 110K in points!! I got SWA my cards 3 weeks ago this Friday.
So for the 110k points you can use the combined 50k points on each card plus an extra 10k points? And that counts for the companion pass?
I was thinking of getting a regular card for me and put out utilities on and pay off. Then getting a business card for DH to put his purchases for the business and to pay off with his business checking account. Then combined we would have 100k points for making our required purchass and pay offs and then whatever points we would earn making those purchases? Correct? And he could make the $6k in additional purchase and pay off easily with his business card. He always pays at home improvement stores with his business checks... But might as well earn some points with the card. Plus he doesn't have to carry that check book around. I'm always afraid he is going to loose it.

So for the 110k points you can use the combined 50k points on each card plus an extra 10k points? And that counts for the companion pass?
I was thinking of getting a regular card for me and put out utilities on and pay off. Then getting a business card for DH to put his purchases for the business and to pay off with his business checking account. Then combined we would have 100k points for making our required purchass and pay offs and then whatever points we would earn making those purchases? Correct? And he could make the $6k in additional purchase and pay off easily with his business card. He always pays at home improvement stores with his business checks... But might as well earn some points with the card. Plus he doesn't have to carry that check book around. I'm always afraid he is going to loose it.
One person has to earn all the qualifying miles, so the same person needs to apply for both cards.

Ok thanks. That's not a problem. I'll just put both in his name. We are also adding an addition this spring... So we have loads of things we can load up with points lol

Sorry for the silly question.... how do I know I've got the correct link? On the SW site, they are only offering 25k points. I googled 50000.... and was taken to a Chase site that states 50k after spending $2k the first 3m. When I click Apply, there's nothing differentiating it???

And how long do you wait to apply for the other card?

Last edited:
Did I see right that their program is changing this spring? I wonder if they grandfather in people who already have points

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter