Southwest 50,000 points offer

I'm confused and hoping someone on here can help. I'm single and have no southwest card. What's the best way for me to jump in and start saving money?

TO; nalajms. The 50 point offer ended yesterday. That is why you are seeing 25k point offer. When they offer it again apply for both cards right way if you are sure you will be able to charge $4k in 90 days.

Last edited:
Wait till the 50K point offer comes around again. Apply for the card spend $2k in 90 and get 50k points to fly for free but you will need to pay the $5.60 in tax per one way ticket or $11.20 for r/t

I'm confused and hoping someone on here can help. I'm single and have no southwest card. What's the best way for me to jump in and start saving money?

Here is the news article about the changes coming to the RR program. And no they won't be grandfathering members just because we have points. The only thing that will happen is that if you "buy" your ticket before the April change for travel after April you will no have to pay extra points as long as the ticket is purchased prior to the change. The new change effects the amt. of points requires for certain flight purchases.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/rr-program-update.html

I have had the card for almost 2 years. So, I am going to cancel mine before the renewal comes in about a month. In the meantime, my husband just applied and was approved for the premier with the 50,000 miles. So, if another 50,000 offer comes for the plus card he will try for that too. In the meantime, how long would I have to wait to apply again? I am thinking I would wait at least a year anyways since there is no benefit for me to have the card since he just got one and miles can't be combined. Does this effect your credit rating much by closing and then opening a card? It would be great if he got another card and we could use the companion pass, but even if not the 50,000 miles are great one their own.

Quote: In the meantime, how long would I have to wait to apply again?

As of right now: the bonus can be given again ...

Only after 24 months from when you received the *bonus* on the card.

24 months after the *bonus* was received (not the date of application or activation)

Quote: In the meantime, how long would I have to wait to apply again?

As of right now: the bonus can be given again ...

Only after 24 months from when you received the *bonus* on the card.

24 months after the *bonus* was received (not the date of application or activation)
Sounds good. If my husband does apply for the second card and gets it and the companion status - how long does it last for? Just the end of the calendar year? And if we book tickets for him and myself before then can we go back later and cancel mine and then rebook with the companion pass?

Your companion pass is good for the remainder of the year in which its earned and all of the following year. Your husband should have applied for both cards at once. The offer was good for both cards. I applied in Jan. and got both and will get the companion pass when my statement closes in a few days!!! Remember you must earn 110K points to qualify for this pass.

In order to rebook you would have to cancel the tickets and rebuy them to use the pass.

Just wanted to add that points transferred into RR from Hyatt Gold Passport count toward the CP. Not a great value as its less than a 1:1 transfer but a convenient way to top off the account to qualify for the CP.

Your companion pass is good for the remainder of the year in which its earned and all of the following year. Your husband should have applied for both cards at once. The offer was good for both cards. I applied in Jan. and got both and will get the companion pass when my statement closes in a few days!!! Remember you must earn 110K points to qualify for this pass.

In order to rebook you would have to cancel the tickets and rebuy them to use the pass.
He just applied this week. Does it matter if he doesn't apply for both at the same time? He could easily apply for the other now since the bonus 50,000 offer is still going on.

Just wanted to add that points transferred into RR from Hyatt Gold Passport count toward the CP. Not a great value as its less than a 1:1 transfer but a convenient way to top off the account to qualify for the CP.
What about points for e rewards ? Do they count? I have transferred to my account before, didn't know if they would countg towards the 110,000 or not.

He just applied this week. Does it matter if he doesn't apply for both at the same time? He could easily apply for the other now since the bonus 50,000 offer is still going on.
The suggestion of apply for both at the same time is to get to the 110k points faster....assuming you can spend 2k within 3months on each card. I applied for the Plus card 2 weeks ago. Then 4 days later applied for Premier. I figured buying summer Disney tickets on cheaptickets alone will be $2k!

Also, you get 2pt per $1 charged. If you're buying SW tickets, might be worth it to charge them on the SW card to get to the 110k faster!

What about points for e rewards ? Do they count? I have transferred to my account before, didn't know if they would countg towards the 110,000 or not.

I don't know, sorry. I know that transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards DON'T count. I had to transfer from Chase to Hyatt then to RR to make it work. You could probably find the answer to that question on flyertalk.com

we opened ours in 2013 for our 2014 Disney trip and booked our trip on it and flew all but one of our 7 party group home for free with the reward miles.

The suggestion of apply for both at the same time is to get to the 110k points faster....assuming you can spend 2k within 3months on each card. I applied for the Plus card 2 weeks ago. Then 4 days later applied for Premier. I figured buying summer Disney tickets on cheaptickets alone will be $2k!

Also, you get 2pt per $1 charged. If you're buying SW tickets, might be worth it to charge them on the SW card to get to the 110k faster!
Ok, thamks, not sure, if I will be able too. I already renewed our AP's for the year. It might be better for us to wait until we spend it on the first card first. Our next trip will be in November, and from what I ready booking opens in May, so it would be nice to get the status before then if I think we can.

we opened ours in 2013 for our 2014 Disney trip and booked our trip on it and flew all but one of our 7 party group home for free with the reward miles.
That is great! I have a group of 7 planning to go in March 2016, so I will be saving the points for that trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter