• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southern California Fires?

I don't think they'll close the parks. About 4 years or so there were some horrible fires in the Anaheim Hills, and the sky was dark over the Disneyland area, and ash falling, bad air quality -- parks were still open.

MouseAdventure is scheduled for tomorrow, and there will be hundreds of us scrambling around in the heat & bad air on a big scavenger hunt, and that isn't being called off either.
This is much worst than any other fire close to DL. If this keeps up all night, the air quality around DL will be terrible. Let's hope the wind dies down.

I was there this AM and left about 11 AM. It was ok very early, but got worse. I walked off Pirates and the first thing I said is that another fire had started and it was a lot closer than the Sylmar one. We are in Irvine and safe, but have cousins in Yorba Linda that need to evac ASAP. They have Aunt Betty though who is 90 and just broke her pelvis about 10 days ago and really cannot move much. I told them to take her to an ER and see if they can get some help, as she needs medical attention that they cannot provide. Her assisted living evaced awhile ago and they went to get her.

There are fires in Anaheim Hills - close to DL, Yorba Linda and Corona. I can only imagine the smoke and ash in the DL area. We are close to the Sylmar fire. This early AM it was horrible. The winds took the smoke and ask out of our path but not before 500 mobile homes were lost and over 150 houses lost completely too. The Anahiem Hills fires have about 10,000 people currently evacuated (as of 5:30 PM Saturday night). Lots of people are losing homes.. I pray for all of them....

I think if I planned to do DL tomorrow I would just stay home...

Yeah, I'd stay home tomorrow. The air is going to be nasty, and it's really bad to be out in it. I had thought about going today, but with the 91 shut down, we can't get there without going really far out of the way.

I am 10 min south of LAX on the beach... We have ash about an inch thick on our cars. We are 32 miles from Disneyland. So I don't want to know how bad the air quality is by DL. I would tell people to stay at home. The parades run but they don't perform. We were there last October when the San Diego fires were burning and it was bad then.

We have to decide if we are going tomorrow or not. We may loose our hotel deposit at the DLH. Even if the winds change and kick the smoke out, as the weather says it will be tomorrow afternoon, do you think it will be ok to go on Mon and Tues?

Let's hope they have this controlled by Mon or Tues. This isn't a forest that's burning, it's heavily occupied neighborhoods!

We have to decide if we are going tomorrow or not. We may loose our hotel deposit at the DLH. Even if the winds change and kick the smoke out, as the weather says it will be tomorrow afternoon, do you think it will be ok to go on Mon and Tues?

Lets hope so! We are leaving Wednesday night. We will be in the parks on Friday! We booked though Priceline have no way of getting a refund!
:eek:

We booked through Costco, thankfully it's with the Disney Co., and they are willing to work with us. We have to call first thing in the AM to tell them if we are coming or not and if not, they will not charge us any fee just move our dates. THANK GOD. We are praying the winds change and blow out the smoke. Good luck to those going on the hunt tonight. Please report back how the weather is.

try calling the places you booked your rooms from. I can almost be they will refund you because of this.

Lets hope so! We are leaving Wednesday night. We will be in the parks on Friday! We booked though Priceline have no way of getting a refund!
:eek:

During the San Diego fires last year, Priceline worked with us on getting a refund on our car and hotel reservations. So if needed, you might want to give it a try.

crap we are flying out tomorrow to Disneyland for four nights. We are bringing my husband's Grandmother who has asthma and other lung issues. I am trying to see if Alaska will work with us to maybe postpone the trip. My tickets/hotel are booked through Disneyland vacations and they are closed right now...so stressful...not what I needed!
~Ingrid

For those of you heading to the DLR, here are some points from a handout that was distributed to all CMs.

• The Disneyland Resort is in no danger from the wildfires, and will continue to operate during it's normal business hours as scheduled.
  • As there is currently falling ash and poor air quality throughout the Southern Californian region, several outdoor attractions, including the Horse-Drawn Streetcar on Main Street USA, and the Davy Crocket Explorer Canoes in Frontierland, may be temporarily closed, or limited.
  • Tonight's (11/15) performance of the Remember...Dreams Come True fireworks spectacular, has been cancelled due to poor visability. (it will also likely be cancelled or shortened for the forseeable future, as well)
  • Fantasmic! will continue as scheduled.
  • If Guests should have any further questions, they can visit City Hall at Disneyland Park or the Guest Relations Lobby at Disney's California Adventure Park.

In addition, some lines may be a bit longer than normal at Attractions, Stores, and Restaurants resort-wide, as a fair number of CMs have been calling in or leaving early due to the Wildfires.

I was at DL this morning and it was sprinkling ash on us.

Maybe they have it contained by now by it was nasty this morning.

For those of you heading to the DLR, here are some points from a handout that was distributed to all CMs.

• The Disneyland Resort is in no danger from the wildfires, and will continue to operate during it's normal business hours as scheduled.
  • As there is currently falling ash and poor air quality throughout the Southern Californian region, several outdoor attractions, including the Horse-Drawn Streetcar on Main Street USA, and the Davy Crocket Explorer Canoes in Frontierland, may be temporarily closed, or limited.
  • Tonight's (11/15) performance of the Remember...Dreams Come True fireworks spectacular, has been cancelled due to poor visability. (it will also likely be cancelled or shortened for the forseeable future, as well)
  • Fantasmic! will continue as scheduled.
  • If Guests should have any further questions, they can visit City Hall at Disneyland Park or the Guest Relations Lobby at Disney's California Adventure Park.

In addition, some lines may be a bit longer than normal at Attractions, Stores, and Restaurants resort-wide, as a fair number of CMs have been calling in or leaving early due to the Wildfires.

Good to know. Thanks for the update. We are having a hard time deciding what to do. DH is off right now so we can go and he may not be able to go if we have to rescheduel...and our tickets must be used within 30 days. Yikes. Do you think this is the beggining of the worst or the tail of it. If this is the beggining, I am really scared as to what the weather holds for DL in the next few days/ weeks.

I hope it is ok by next week wednesday, i was planning a one day trip driving from santa monica. Can someone provide me a link to the back story to this fire. what happened to cause such havoc?

I don't want to sound silly, but I am in tears for all of you there right now. :sad1: It really breaks my heart to have so many people so badly affected by this horrible event. We have met so many nice people through the years of our trips there, we love the area, all of it, not just Disneyland, and my heart is truly going out to you all. I will be sending all my most positive thoughts and prayers that no more homes will be lost, and especially no lives lost! My absolute favorite place to holiday, I would move there if I could! :love: We were talking about making a quick trip down there next week, or the first week of December, we will of course wait untill things have calmed down. :hug:

I am watching KTLA right now. They are forcasting a red flag warning for tomorrow until at least 4 pm. Stay safe everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter