• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southern California Fires?

jazellesmom

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if the current fires in Southern California are anywhere near Orange County?

We will be coming from the San Francisco Bay Area on Highway 5 next Wednesday 11/19. Do you think that route will be impacted?

I believe it's up near ventura/santa barbara area which isn't that close to OC. Unless another one started that i haven't heard about but the big one I heard about yesterday is further north.

The latest fire is in the Sylmar area, which is on the north end of the San Fernando Valley in LA County, not near OC.

Now we understand there's a fire in Corona and possibly Irvine, both upwind, and I can smell smoke here in Anaheim not very far from DL.

I just heard the college I attended, Westmont, was also damaged. Very sad. :sad2:

I remember when we had all those fires up here in Nor Cal. It was very smokey outside for weeks.

yeah, winds are pretty strong right now, don't expect anything to die down. I went to disney during the fires once, when it was raining ash. Horrible experience.

I believe the 5 freeway is closed north of Los Angeles due to the fires. I read an article earlier on MSN that said it was moving rapidly. If you're driving down, you may want to check with the California Highway Patrol website, which is usually current on road closures. We live in Long Beach and right now it is hot, dry, windy and smells like smoke. Be safe.

I listen to KFI on Sat. mornings on the internet, a southern Cal. radio station. They will be going to complete fire coverage today. They are also reporting fire in Orange County and freeway closures.

Now we understand there's a fire in Corona and possibly Irvine, both upwind, and I can smell smoke here in Anaheim not very far from DL.
Been watching the news and checking OC Register. We have not seen anything regarding fires in Irvine. Can you help me out with a link please? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the current fires in Southern California are anywhere near Orange County?

We will be coming from the San Francisco Bay Area on Highway 5 next Wednesday 11/19. Do you think that route will be impacted?
There's no saying what next Wednesday will be like, of course, but....

If you were to do that drive right now, the 5 freeway north of Los Angeles is completely closed. This is your main thoroughfare to Disneyland. So atm, the only route that we know of which would give you access to the Disneyland area is along the Coast.... adding quite a bit of time to your drive.

- Dreams

I'm in between where the fires are in Santa Barbara and Orange County and there hasn't been any ash in my area. I'm in Ventura County. I think cause the wind is blowing north?

I read that there's fires in Sylmar, Corona, and Palos Verdes.

Irvine was mentioned in this OC Register story but the reporter has been actively editing and there's now no mention of Irvine.

http://sciencedude.freedomblogging....ing-into-90s-as-wildfire-danger-lingers/7784/

We're now getting ash blowing in the wind, presumably from the Corona/east Yorba Linda fire.

Thanks. Saw that article, with no mention of Irvine and another article that mentioned "OC Freeway," but was just a reference to the 91 (even though the affected area was NE of OC).

Listen here, fires, stay out of OC!!!

- Dreams

P.S. Finding it incredibly ironic that there is MASSIVE rain at the football game DH is watching on TV while we are tracking wild fires in the area due to dryness. Yeah, we love our sunshine, but it certainly has a price. :(

im 15 mins away from Disneyland and honestly, its REALLY REALLY bad. Theres ashes all over the place and it smells sooo bad. At like 10:15, the sky is just ORANGE, it literally seems like sundown already... :(

Sucks, gotta be in the weather. :(

I just got back from driving Fullerton to Irvine and back. No fires in Irvine. The smoke from the Corona and Brea fires (though mostly Corona) is being pushed by the offshore winds directly over the Disneyland area. It was really awful through there. On the 5 fwy, the column of smoke clouds goes from Katella Ave at the south end to about Magnolia on the north end. Passing Disneyland, the sky is brown, it's hazy with smoke all the way to the ground and it's smells like old Las Vegas (yuck!). Would definitely be a very nasty day to be at DLR.

I'm supposed to go tomorrow, myself, so I hope the winds die down or shift direction. But, they're saying strong winds may stick around until tomorrow evening. Not good news. It's very windy here in Fullerton right now. Currently 4 fires in the greater LA area. Lots of freeway closures up above LA, mostly all the freeways (5, 405, 210) that intersect the 118 fwy (where the biggest fire is located), as well as the 14 fwy.

A very bad weekend. If anyone's thinking of going to Disneyland today, I'd certainly put it off. Very, very nasty down there.

I'm in DLR right now and it's absolutely miserable. It's raining ash, everyone is coughing (I had to perform and smile this morning, the ash went in my throat and I threw up, fun fun fun...) It's dark and dreary outside and very hard to breathe. I've been inside most of the day, except for earlier for 3 hours and I was miserable. We all smell like ash :P

I really hope they don't close Disneyland, but the fires are 25 miles away.

:(
- Dani

PS- Gee, but on the plus side we got a dream fastpass!:confused3

I just drove through the Brea and Yorba Linda fires. It's the worst I've seen in my whole life living here. I have family and friends that are real close, but not effected YET!!!!

We just drove 91 freeway and we could feel the heat from the flames on both sides of the freeway. The CHP were running into their cars. It looks like they were getting ready to close the freeway down.

They have already closed the 57 freeway. This is BAD!!!!

Update, I just saw on the news that they closed the 91 freeway.

Yea, it's very bad at the moment.

I'm about 10 minutes south of the DLR (Santa Ana area), and I have this giant brown cloud seemingly hanging over my house.

We have one fire in Corona heading towards Yorba Linda (Northwestern OC), and another one in Brea (Northern OC).

Though, for those of you coming to the DLR tomorrow, the winds are currently blowing in an Northeasterly direction, and are expected to continue to do so tomorrow, so the smoke shoud (hopefully) be gone tomorrow.

Where are our friends (who post here) who live in Santa Clarita? How are you all doing?

I just saw a map of the Sylmar fire, and it is close to them.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sayrefire-googlemap,0,6804603.htmlstory

The 5 is closed at the 14 - we used to live near there in Canyon Country. It looks like it is in Placerita Canyon, but still east of the 14. I better go call my friends who still live there.

How sad!

A couple photos for you.

This is the smoke cloud over my house about half an hour ago:

firesmoke.jpg

This is the view from my backyard about half an hour ago. On the right is the Anaheim Hills/Corona fire area. On the left is the Brea fire.

firebreacorona.jpg

This is looking more toward the Anaheim Hills/Corona fire, just about 10 minutes ago:

firebreacorona2.jpg

They've closed the 91 and 57 fwys completely in Orange County, in addition to the existing closures of the 5, 14, 405, 210 and 118 in LA County. I just heard the scariest thing I've ever heard during a fire in this area. The fire department is saying that if the Anaheim Hills and Corona fires merge, it will be a "doomsday scenario" and residents throughout Anaheim and Fullerton should be ready, just in case. Now, I live on the far side of Fullerton from this fire, probably 10 miles away, but it actually scared me to hear this. The chances are extremely remote that anything could get this far, but if it gets into the more populated housing areas and the winds don't stop, we could be in for the worst scenario we've ever encountered in Orange County.

I have friends who live in the evacuated areas of Anaheim Hills, as well as in parts of Yorba Linda, so I'm very worried about them and their houses. I don't know what it's going to take to get these fires under control. With extremely low humidty, very high winds and only so many fire personnel to fight it, this is an ugly situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter