South Beach Diet?

I love fresh tomatoes.... we have an abundance of them too. I have been cutting them up into chunks and mixing tuna with some mayo and then add some cheddar cheese. Very yummy!

We are getting back into routine here as well!

A new recipe that I tried this week that was a total hit

Buffalo Chicken casserole
2 cups cooked chicken
3 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 C. Ranch Dressing
1/4 C. Frank's Hot Sauce
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
Optional added in celery and stewed tomatoes ( I used fresh)
Place in greased 13 X 9 Baking dish

Hi everyone! I'm Lisa and I've been doing South Beach since the end of July. I've lost 23 pounds and I'm thrilled. I have a lot more to go, but after the initial 2 weeks on phase 1 I've found it to be really easy. Then again, I'm an obsessive planner :lmao: and I plan out our dinners for the week and then make my grocery list from that. The unanticipated bonus is that my grocery bill has been reduced dramatically since I'm not buying a whole bunch of crap any more!

Anyway, glad to hear that you're all doing well and good luck! :goodvibes

Well I had tried nearly every other diets, and felt too ill to continue them, but not with the Social Beach Diet. It was great, and the carbs you eat are healthy. it was easy and good food. Remember to eat enough of the allowed foods so you will have energy, and take vitamins.

I would love to resurrect this thread! Just started SB a little over 2 weeks ago. Only down 6 lbs, so that seems less than what others have said, but I am thrilled with that! I think that planning is the key with SB. If I have on hand everything that I need then no problems, but if my frig/freezer is empty then I get tempted.
Are there any SB dieters out there that want to continue to trade recipes/support?:)

I would! :wave: Don't seem to be too many people on the Beach around here.

6 pounds for the first two weeks is just fine. Some of those big results you hear about depend on your starting weight and your activity level and overall health. Phase 1 isn't meant to be a weight loss phase, it is supposed to be for getting rid of those carb cravings and get your body ready for what is to come. A healthy loss is 1-2 pounds a week. I have been pretty steady with a pound a week and am pretty happy with that.

Hi I am doing a kind of south beach but starting counting points a few weeks back since my portion control was starting to get out of control. I am eating phase 2 with whole grains and lots of veggies. I have lost over 25lbs since last May and need to lose another 25lbs more.

I would love to have some south beach support here!

Can I ask a question here please about the south beach diet. I was thinking of getting the book off of amazon and doing the diet, what is a good book to start with? Also I can't eat eggs and I noticed that eggs are a main source in this diet can I do the diet without eating eggs and still be sucessful? TIA

Can I ask a question here please about the south beach diet. I was thinking of getting the book off of amazon and doing the diet, what is a good book to start with? Also I can't eat eggs and I noticed that eggs are a main source in this diet can I do the diet without eating eggs and still be sucessful? TIA

Just get the main book so that you can get all of the fundamentals. This is the newest version: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...rds=south+beach+diet&sprefix=south+beach+diet I haven't read it but from what I understand it just puts a lot more emphasis on exercise. The older books are still great: http://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-D...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298143735&sr=1-4 The food lists have been updates slightly but you can get the most current ones at the forum I am linking to below.

I really, really, really don't like eggs. Scrambled once a month is about all I can handle. You can absolutely do this without eggs! They are a quick and easy protein source so they do recommend them on their menus and have lots of recipes for them but it is just a suggestion. I also don't eat any type of seafood but do just fine with lean beef and chicken.

Here is a great website to check out for lots of the basics and current updates of SB: http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/index.php. And I love this blog for recipes (not all are exactly SB so you have to read her comments): http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/

Have to run but if you have any questions I can try to find the answers for you. I really love SB and find it easy to follow.

Just get the main book so that you can get all of the fundamentals. This is the newest version: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...rds=south+beach+diet&sprefix=south+beach+diet I haven't read it but from what I understand it just puts a lot more emphasis on exercise. The older books are still great: http://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-D...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298143735&sr=1-4 The food lists have been updates slightly but you can get the most current ones at the forum I am linking to below.

I really, really, really don't like eggs. Scrambled once a month is about all I can handle. You can absolutely do this without eggs! They are a quick and easy protein source so they do recommend them on their menus and have lots of recipes for them but it is just a suggestion. I also don't eat any type of seafood but do just fine with lean beef and chicken.

Here is a great website to check out for lots of the basics and current updates of SB: http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/index.php. And I love this blog for recipes (not all are exactly SB so you have to read her comments): http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/

Have to run but if you have any questions I can try to find the answers for you. I really love SB and find it easy to follow.

Thank you so much for this post it was so very helpful to me. :banana:

I tried the "crack slaw". That was really good and easy to fix. Hope everyone is doing good today. I've had an awful cold so I was glad that so many of the SB recipes are so quick and easy and can be made with things I usually have in my pantry/frig. :goodvibes

I will have to try the crackslaw, if for no other reason than the name cracks me up!:lmao:

I found this recipe that I want to try. I think it should be be fine for Phase 2. I don't have any sundried tomatoes in oil, just dry so may just mix one or two of those along with pesto with the ricotta cheese and see how that is. I also prefer fresh mushrooms and just bought a big thing of baby bellas at Costco so that sounds yummy.

http://www.arnoldbread.com/thins/DescriptionRecipe.aspx?nRecipeID=718

Hello Everyone!

I would love to have an active support group for South Beach here--count me in! :thumbsup2

I did great on SB 5 years ago but didn't stick with it when I was pregnant the second time. I tried the "special k" diet in January & did fine but found that it wasn't resticting me enough & I could cheat too easy. So, 3 weeks ago I joined another disser & started on Phase 1--I've kept myself on phase 1 for 3 weeks now & I am ready to start adding a few phase 2 things just to keep the variety going. Especially to get away from eggs in the AM! ;)

I've been doing great & am averaging 3 pounds lost per week--so I am now down 15 pounds since January! This time I'm adding in exercise courtesy of my Wii which I absolutely love--I never thought I'd be excited about working out.

Yup, I admit I picked up the ingredients for "crack slaw" too--definitely the name that sucks you in! I'll give it a try this week!

It'll be great to be able to share tips & recipes and most of all give each other support. South Beach is definitely doable--the key is just being prepared and having the right food within reach. Looking forward to getting to know all of you! :hug:

I wanted to just offer some alternative suggestions for breakfast in Phase 1 if you don't eat eggs. Please add yours if you have any great ideas!

I think the biggest suggestion is to remember that breakfast is just another meal (but really the most important one) so you don't need to limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods. Leftovers from the night before are perfectly fine. A steak, a hamburger patty, canadian bacon, some chicken or salmon all make a good breakfast. I use a lot of Canadian Bacon in phase one!

If you are like me and don't really eat much for breakfast then yogurt or cottage cheese are good options. I did a lot of "meat and cheese rollups" with canadian bacon or an acceptable deli meat and some cheddar cheese or a mozzerella cheese stick.

I know that they want you to eat a serving or two of veggies at every meal but that just isn't practical for me (and many others) so I usually have a big salad at lunch or 2 smaller ones at lunch and dinner to make up for those veggies.

Once I hit phase 2 I usually have oatmeal a lot for breakfast. I do better with some carb at each mean and really like oatmeal. I make a big batch on the weekend and refrigerate it. I take out what I want and add a little milk and heat it up in the microwave.

I think it is important to remember that they are making suggestions for those people that want everything planned out for them but you really can adapt it to fit your lifestyle and still lose all the weight you need to.

Hello SB folks,

I'm going to hop on this crazy ride, hope ya don't mind! :goodvibes

Short bio:
  • Back in 2003 - hubby and I = chubby.
  • Was pushing toward a size 20 and thought "enough's enough."
  • Started Atkins, proceeded to lose 65-ish pounds in about 12 months.
  • Felt fab.
  • Moved to a foreign country.
  • Managed to stay healthy although the way of eating was different.
  • Got preggers.
  • Got fat.
  • Want to be un-fat again.

It's not a particular size or even weight I'm after; it's more for the feeling of looking in the mirror and not feeling out-of-sorts at the image staring back at me. Hubster (or should I say "chubster") and I started South Beach yesterday. Having a little bit of the weeble-wobblies, light-headedness thing but nothing I didn't know was coming. I'm looking forward to exploring what SB has to offer as having fruit and certain whole grains just sounds like an overall healthier way of eating than total abstention.

So, that's the thick :-)laughing:) and thin of it. Thanks for this thread and its tips -- it's great to learn from the experts and have a place to come and ask for help. :goodvibes

Hello SB folks,

I'm going to hop on this crazy ride, hope ya don't mind! :goodvibes

Short bio:
  • Back in 2003 - hubby and I = chubby.
  • Was pushing toward a size 20 and thought "enough's enough."
  • Started Atkins, proceeded to lose 65-ish pounds in about 12 months.
  • Felt fab.
  • Moved to a foreign country.
  • Managed to stay healthy although the way of eating was different.
  • Got preggers.
  • Got fat.
  • Want to be un-fat again.

It's not a particular size or even weight I'm after; it's more for the feeling of looking in the mirror and not feeling out-of-sorts at the image staring back at me. Hubster (or should I say "chubster") and I started South Beach yesterday. Having a little bit of the weeble-wobblies, light-headedness thing but nothing I didn't know was coming. I'm looking forward to exploring what SB has to offer as having fruit and certain whole grains just sounds like an overall healthier way of eating than total abstention.

So, that's the thick :-)laughing:) and thin of it. Thanks for this thread and its tips -- it's great to learn from the experts and have a place to come and ask for help. :goodvibes

:welcome: Sounds like you have a great attitude and you should find that South Beach is much more "livable" lifestyle than Atkins. I did Atkins a bunch of years ago but just couldn't stick with it.

If you are feeling the effects of the "South Beach Flu" add beans. They are good carbs that will help with that. Just check to be sure they don't have added sugars. I love black beans. You can make a pot of chili with lots of kidney beans or some soup with beans and that will help. DH ate taco meat with fat free refried beans and black beans mixed in on a salad.

:welcome: Sounds like you have a great attitude and you should find that South Beach is much more "livable" lifestyle than Atkins. I did Atkins a bunch of years ago but just couldn't stick with it.

If you are feeling the effects of the "South Beach Flu" add beans. They are good carbs that will help with that. Just check to be sure they don't have added sugars. I love black beans. You can make a pot of chili with lots of kidney beans or some soup with beans and that will help. DH ate taco meat with fat free refried beans and black beans mixed in on a salad.

Thanks for the warm welcome! :thumbsup2

Funny you should mention the beans, after the first day's light-headedness I did some research and forgot that we could be eating legumes so out I went yesterday and bought a *huge* can of black beans. Simmered them with some spices, cilantro and a little onion last night. Sooooo good with a little carnitas and salad on the side. Had to restrain myself from going back for seconds. :eek: Taco meat sounds like just the ticket to have with the leftover beans. Yum yum.

Everybody doing ok?
Made one of my favorite recipes today. Great for lunch, very hearty!
Chock full of Veges Chili. Anybody else tried it?

Hi everyone is doing well and hanging in there.

I made the crack slaw this week and yummy!

Next week I am going to make it with some chicken breast so I don't get bored with the same thing.

This week I also pick up some zuchinni and eggplant on the reduced produce shelf and roasted them. Yummy. great for a late afternoon snack or throw it on some salad greens.

The Emerald Almonds 100 calorie packs are a life saver for me! Totally on plan portion controlled or otherwise I would eat a huge back of almonds.

Hello SB buddies!

Everything is going according to plan here--I'm down another 3.5 pounds this week even though I added a few carbs into my diet, mostly the whole grain sandwich thins and 9 grain bread (very limited amounts). I guess you could call it phase 1.5 for me.

Yes, I love the Emeralds 100 calorie packs too--especially the dark cocoa ones to get my sweets fix! Way to easy to overeat the nuts otherwise--definitely my goto for a work snack along with the string cheese. :thumbsup2

Missoutandabout--hang in there, planning ahead to have the right foods within reach is the most important. With the SB plan it is truly amazing how those cravings really do disappear once you get to a certain point in phase 1. Set your mind to it, the start of phase 1 is the hardest but once you being to see the result you have all the inspiration you need! That is so great that you have dh on board with you--my dh needs to lose even more than me but he refuses to commit himself, even when he see's how good my food options are.

Some of my favorite phase 1 foods are roasted vegee's (w/olive oil & sea salt), ham/turkey rollups with laughing cow light cheese, deviled eggs, and absolutely love the smashed cauliflower, especially baked in the oven for a bit. I do a lot of omelets with a mix of vegees to keep it interesting and two slices of canadian bacon to go with it. Lots of baked fish, especially cod.

Another thing to remember is Wendy's Chili is a great goto when you're on the run & need something to eat. SB friendly & fast food! Other than lots of salad choices (which definitely come in handy but are hard to eat on the go), does anyone else have some emergency options for eating when you're running short on time?

So glad everyone is hanging in there--love the support! :hug:

How is everyone doing?

I need to do my meal planning. I have fallen behind and we have been flying by the seat of our pants and that is not good.

Do you plan ahead or just go with what sounds good that day? Anyone who plans want to share their meals for the week?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter