Sophie Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgalecpa

<font color=green>DANG, that is one big fish!</fon
Anyone heard any news on Sophie Ritter?

How's the Dad (and everyone) holding up.

I think about them alot.

:grouphug:

Jim

Jim,
Check out the thread Update on Sophie. (Don't know how to post the link.) She is not doing well. I have heard no word about the father. We'll keep praying.

I cked out ellwoodcityledger.com yesterday. I don't know how old the article was, but it didn't sound promising, although there is always hope.

All we can do is continue praying for Sophie and her family.

Here's the article that Ilzj21428 found and made reference to ....prayers for little Sophie and the whole family...
Vivian

Little Sophie Ritter in need of miracle
By ERIC POOLE

Ledger staff writer

After a neurological examination Wednesday, a family and a community praying for a 3-month-old fire survivor were left with a grim prognosis.

Sophie Ritter sustained a degree of brain damage, most likely from inhaling smoke during the fire that took the lives of her mother, Amanda Ritter, 26, and her older sister, Emma, 4.

Amanda and Emma were buried Wednesday at Locust Grove Cemetery in Ellwood City.

Cars in the funeral procession had purple ribbons, emblematic of the prayers for Sophie’s recovery. Family members requested that people display the purple ribbons as a show of support for the infant and her family.

"He painted a very grim picture," said Lynda Esposito, mother and grandmother of the victims, of the news the family received Wednesday from a Mercy Hospital neurologist.

Esposito said Sophie is in critical but unchanged condition at the hospital.

Amanda, Emma and Sophie were in their home at 638 Todd Avenue, Ellwood City, at 5:45 a.m., when the fire broke out at a computer station in the dining room. State police fire investigators determined the blaze to be accidental.

David Ritter, Amanda’s husband and the father of Emma and Sophie, had gone to work at Verizon Wireless in Cranberry and was not at home when the fire started.

Chief Connie MacDonald of the Ellwood City Volunteer Fire Department said Amanda, Emma and Sophie were found at the top of the steps on the home’s second floor.

An autopsy performed Sunday by Dr. Karl Williams of the Ellwood City Hospital determined that the two died from inhalation of smoke and fumes. Family members said they believe Amanda died trying to save her children.

Attempts to resuscitate Amanda and Emma were unsuccessful and they were pronounced dead at the Ellwood City Hospital. Sophie was transported by medical helicopter to Mercy Hospital.

The infant is breathing with the assistance of a ventilator.

Esposito said she was told Sophie could recover from the brain damage she sustained during the fire, or get worse and begin suffering seizures. Another electroencephalogram is scheduled for Friday.

"We need a miracle and I know there are miracles out there," said Esposito. "I know kids who were worse than Sophie and they’re shining stars.

"Prayers are definitely needed."

ESB Bank has established a memorial fund for Amanda and Emma’s family at the Shenango Township Branch Office located in the Lawrence Village Plaza, New Castle.

ESB Bank is making a $3,000 "seed" contribution to the fund. Community members wishing to make contributions to the fund should make checks payable to "Ritter Family Memorial Fund c/o EBS Bank" and should send them to Ritter Family Memorial Fund, c/o ESB Bank, 2656 Ellwood Road, New Castle, PA 16101.

Thanks for the update on Sophie. She and her family are in my prayers constantly. Children can surprise everyone with their recovery and that is what I pray for.

From what I can tell the local newspaper only publishes on Mondays and Thursdays......

Everytime I'd go there this week, either Monday's paper or Thursday's paper was there.....

Anyone having any info will make a post....It's really hard to wait.....I know.....

Seems like all I do is pray.....every minute my mind is not occupied by other things.....

Phyllis

I think the article was printed on Thursday, the 26th. That's when I talked to Jennifer but haven't heard anything else since then.

That poor family. :( :( :(

Sophie is in my prayers. As is her dad and grandparents as they struggle to cope with this tragedy. Babies can be so resiliant and I pray that Sophie is as resiliant as they come.

Get well soon baby Sophie.

Here's an idea. It's hard to find updates because every "Sophie/Ritter family thread" is full of prayers and wishes. How about we hold this thread open for true updates and news? Everyone is praying and if you wish to contribute prayer and well wishes, post it on the other threads. That way we can all easily find out the latest in one place. The entire DIS family is pulling, praying and hanging on reports for dear little Sophie. God Bless! And thank you for posting the update.

My wife and I are truly overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and prayers from everyone from what we understand has reached out all over the world. We have reports from Russia, the UK, Austrailia, Isreal, virtually everywhere with prayers for our Little Sophie Grace. For this Lynda and I are eternally grateful.

The status on Sophie as of the time of this posting is that her condition is unchanged but at least the tube that was in her chest for drainage has been removed. We are still waiting for Sophie to give us sign that the part of her brain that made her the Sophie we know and love is there, but so far we still wait.

What I want to ask is that you contiue to pray for Sophie and petition God for a miracle for her, but understand that He knows what is best.

Again thank you to all of our DIS family, those that we have come to know and those we have yet to know.

May God bless and keep all of you close to His heart because you are close to ours.

Mike

I am praying for you and your family - I just wish I could do more - Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you or your family -

How wonderful that you are receiving worldwide prayer: May God listen to us all and grant little Sophie a full recovery. God Bless You all. Nat

Hello all,

Just to let everyone know how our little one is doing this evening. Sophie's condition is unchanged as of yet but that also means she isn't getting worse. David and Lynda got to hold Sophie today and for the both of them it was just what they needed. I shared holding her with Lynda, it felt real good.

Tomorrow the Doctor's are going to begin the process of trying to ween Sophie off of the ventilator, so we will need every bit of prayer we can muster.

I want to thank all of you again for support love and prayers, God must be getting a headache, keep it up.

A special thanks to Libertybelle for the purple ribbon, it is great seeing it on all the signatures.

For now I will say goodnight and God bless you all, for He certainly has blessed us.

Just wanted to send prayers from Canada too. We are all praying for Sophie and for all of your family during this very difficult time. We are all touched by your courage, love and faith.

Our thoughts are with you and your family and we pray that Sophie makes progress and the doctors manage to wean her off the ventilator.

How wonderful that you have been able to cuddle her.

Tammy

We also were delighted to hear that you were able to hold little Sophie once again. Please God she makes progress in the coming days. Nat

I will be praying every day for Sophie's recovery and checking here for updates.
Thank you EmmasGrammy, Jennifer- and anyone else who may be posting updates under EGs screen name for us. It is very generous of you to share with us at such a time. I pray for all of you also- please take comfort in one another.
Mary

Thank you Mike. Hope everything goes well today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter