Sony RX100

Sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but I have a few questions for those with the Sony RX100.

I am in the market for a more advanced compact camera and am wavering between the RX100 and the Canon S110.

For those that have the RX100 I have read on various reviews that it is very "slippery." The surface is very smooth and there is no grip. Have you run into this or has it been a problem for you? And does it come with a wrist strap to better secure it?

And if anyone has used both of the above mentioned cameras, I'd LOVE your input!!! I need to stop this wavering and make a decision! Thanks all!

Sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but I have a few questions for those with the Sony RX100.

I am in the market for a more advanced compact camera and am wavering between the RX100 and the Canon S110.

For those that have the RX100 I have read on various reviews that it is very "slippery." The surface is very smooth and there is no grip. Have you run into this or has it been a problem for you? And does it come with a wrist strap to better secure it?

And if anyone has used both of the above mentioned cameras, I'd LOVE your input!!! I need to stop this wavering and make a decision! Thanks all!

I've heard all the complaints about the lack of a grip, but it has never been an issue for me. Yes, there is a wrist strap. There are also 3rd party cases/grips, though I don't use any. I've taken thousands of pictures, and never had the camera "slip." (maybe I shouldn't tempt fate by saying that).

I've handled the Canon S100, but not the S110.
I don't think there is any real comparison between the 2.
The Canon S110 is a very very good point and shoot "compact" camera.

The RX100.... belongs in a class almost by itself. It's the size of a point & shoot compact, but with its sensor size and features, it's much more than a point and shoot. In fact, I was just reading today, DXOmark (which objectively rates image quality), rates the RX100 as superior to most 4/3rds mirrorless cameras.

Putting aside price, I can't imagine any reason to pick the Canon S110 over the RX100. Yes, it's got slightly more zoom, and is slightly wider. But not big differences there.
Of course, you can't put aside price. The Canon is $200-300 cheaper than the Sony RX100. And the advantages of the RX100 may or may not be worth $200-$300 to you. It is a better camera... but whether it is $200-$300 better, may be in the eye of the beholder.

I've heard all the complaints about the lack of a grip, but it has never been an issue for me. Yes, there is a wrist strap. There are also 3rd party cases/grips, though I don't use any. I've taken thousands of pictures, and never had the camera "slip." (maybe I shouldn't tempt fate by saying that).

I've handled the Canon S100, but not the S110.
I don't think there is any real comparison between the 2.
The Canon S110 is a very very good point and shoot "compact" camera.

The RX100.... belongs in a class almost by itself. It's the size of a point & shoot compact, but with its sensor size and features, it's much more than a point and shoot. In fact, I was just reading today, DXOmark (which objectively rates image quality), rates the RX100 as superior to most 4/3rds mirrorless cameras.

Putting aside price, I can't imagine any reason to pick the Canon S110 over the RX100. Yes, it's got slightly more zoom, and is slightly wider. But not big differences there.
Of course, you can't put aside price. The Canon is $200-300 cheaper than the Sony RX100. And the advantages of the RX100 may or may not be worth $200-$300 to you. It is a better camera... but whether it is $200-$300 better, may be in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks so much! That is great info and it helps a lot!

One other question if you don't mind! Does the RX100 fit comfortably into a generous pocket? Like the pocket of a pair of men's cargo shorts? One of my husband's criteria for getting a new camera is that it needs to fit in his pocket if he is going to be responsbile for carrying it from time to time! :rotfl: I am in the process of selling my Canon G12 because it is like carrying around a small brick and I want something more portable! Thanks again!

Thanks so much! That is great info and it helps a lot!

One other question if you don't mind! Does the RX100 fit comfortably into a generous pocket? Like the pocket of a pair of men's cargo shorts? One of my husband's criteria for getting a new camera is that it needs to fit in his pocket if he is going to be responsbile for carrying it from time to time! :rotfl: I am in the process of selling my Canon G12 because it is like carrying around a small brick and I want something more portable! Thanks again!

Yes, it will fit very easily. It really isn't much bigger than the Canon.

Though personally, I put mine in a hard case. As it is an expensive camera, I get nervous carrying it about without a good case. So I use a hard case that clips to my belt. But without the case, it is very pocket-able.
I *believe* it is about half the size and half the weight of the G12.

Let's be fair about it, Olympus E-M5; E-PL5; E-PM2 all rank higher than RX100. DXOmark scores measure sensor performance, not image quality, by using a small set of parameters. DXOmark is probably as good as we have for now but it is not the whole story. RX100 is a good P&S camera and has raised the bar for P&S to a new level but the 1" sensor does not compare to the latest micro 4/3 (just as they do not compare to the latest APS-C). Size matters.

Richard Franiec at kleptography.com makes grips for cameras and has one for RX100. His products appear to be well designed and highly regarded (I do not have any of them so no first hand experience).

Let's be fair about it, Olympus E-M5; E-PL5; E-PM2 all rank higher than RX100. DXOmark scores measure sensor performance, not image quality, by using a small set of parameters. DXOmark is probably as good as we have for now but it is not the whole story. RX100 is a good P&S camera and has raised the bar for P&S to a new level but the 1" sensor does not compare to the latest micro 4/3 (just as they do not compare to the latest APS-C). Size matters.

I agree..... You are likely correct. But we are splitting hairs a bit --- DXOmark measures the image quality produced by the sensor, using a few parameters -- color depth, dynamic range, and noise. It's not the whole picture (totally agree).
But I was surprised to see the RX100 beat those cameras, in any respect.

Yes, size does matter... Which is why at the end of the day, for the best possible image, I'll still take a dSLR over a 4/3 or the RX100.

I was simply suggesting, that while the Canon S110 is a top quality point and shoot... the RX100 really is in a higher class of camera, and comparisons to the 4/3rds are more appropriate. I completely agree that the larger sensor (not to mention interchangeable lenses) can give a 4/3rds mirrorless a number of advantages.

Richard Franiec at kleptography.com makes grips for cameras and has one for RX100. His products appear to be well designed and highly regarded (I do not have any of them so no first hand experience).

I purchased one of Richard's grips for the RX100....and both my wife and I believe the grip makes is considerably easier to hold the camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter