• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sony RX100

It's a valid point. I do carry an 8 GB and 2 batteries as a spares.

I copy to my laptop every day, so I'm not limited to 1 copy of an entire vacation of memories.
I think it is now too easy to fill up 8 GB with HD video and pictures. I would prefer 16 GB cards if I were using your method without a backup drive.

When traveling I also upload to the laptop each night and to an external drive as well unless we have great wi-fi service and then I upload to our server as the backup to the laptop.

I never buy larger than 8 gig cards. I would rather carry two, three, four cards in my pocket than take the chance of one 32 G card that can be lost or it crashed and with it all my photos. Not worth the chance, especially children and/or vacation photos.

A couple different thoughts for others to consider - with the file sizes getting so large the number of pictures on a 16GB card is not that different in number compared to what you used to put on a 8GB card. And the chance of losing or damaging a card while changing or carrying one seems more risky also than something happening to a card that is in the camera.

A couple different thoughts for others to consider - with the file sizes getting so large the number of pictures on a 16GB card is not that different in number compared to what you used to put on a 8GB card. And the chance of losing or damaging a card while changing or carrying one seems more risky also than something happening to a card that is in the camera.

I agree....

I just picked up the RX100 a couple of days ago....and consider me very impressed. By far...I mean BY FAR...the best point & shoot camera I have come across.

The term "game changer" has different meaning to different people...but in my mind this camera is a game changer. It's good enough to actually force me to put down my beloved D800 and go out and shoot with it.

This camera is a bit pricey. However, the ability to leave the bigger cameras at home once in a while and not terribly compromise the quality of my pictures...priceless.

The majority of reviews from professionals and non-professionals alike have been very positive. Sony has themselves a real winner on their hands....IMHO.

Great Pics Havoc315!! I ordered my camera yesterday. I can't wait to get it!! I decided to get a 8gb class 10 high speed memory card. I think it will do just fine for the time being. I can always pick up another 8gb card or 16 gb card down the road. I was trying to keep cost down. Like I mentioned, the hubby wasn't too happy with the price of the camera. I also got a spare battery and a battery charger. :)

I got my RX100 today!!!! I am so happy with it. I have been playing with it since it came. I have gotten some really good pics of my dog!!! Thanks again to everyone who offered help and advice. I can't wait to see what this camera can really do!! :)

I am uplaoding them as I type this! I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what settings to use for certain pictures. For instance, we will be going on a Disney Cruise and I want to shoot fireworks and won't have a tripod with me. Will the fireworks setting still produce good pics without the tripod? Also not sure how dark the restaurants will be so what would be a good setting for that? Lastly, I will be attending MNSSHP what setting would be best for the 2nd parade that is held 10:30pm. I'm confused because I will be taking picures of fast moving objects but it will be dark outside.

Ok this is really strange. After I uploaded these pictures and some to my facebook page. I am getting a can not display on 2 of my pictures when I'm scrolling through the pictures on the camera. WTH?? I rotated these pictures when uploaded to the PC, could this be why??? However, I can see these pictures when I plug the camera into the PC.

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

Very nice first shots! (and a cute dog :) )

a "proper" fireworks shot is a 2-5 second exposure to capture the entire firework path, so you need a tripod or get lucky finding a table or stand to set the camera on. (fireworks mode on my HX-30 is 2 seconds)

I think I would be experimenting with the shutter priority mode during the parade to keep the shutter speed at least 1/30 or more if needed...that slow and you may want a tripod to avoid blurring. Now since my HX-30 does not have shutter priority, I would be trying hand-held twilight and sports scenes, as well as some Auto+

It sounds like DSLr may be using ISO 3200 to try getting a decent shot, so even wide open (f/1.8) I'm not sure if your slightly smaller sensor will keep up without flash. And wide open, your focus point is very important, because you may not get a whole float in focus.

I am uplaoding them as I type this! I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what settings to use for certain pictures. For instance, we will be going on a Disney Cruise and I want to shoot fireworks and won't have a tripod with me. Will the fireworks setting still produce good pics without the tripod? Also not sure how dark the restaurants will be so what would be a good setting for that? Lastly, I will be attending MNSSHP what setting would be best for the 2nd parade that is held 10:30pm. I'm confused because I will be taking picures of fast moving objects but it will be dark outside.

Ok this is really strange. After I uploaded these pictures and some to my facebook page. I am getting a can not display on 2 of my pictures when I'm scrolling through the pictures on the camera. WTH?? I rotated these pictures when uploaded to the PC, could this be why??? However, I can see these pictures when I plug the camera into the PC.

Ok, fireworks:
Very difficult to get great fireworks shots without a tripod. I would urge you to get at least a gorilla pod ($20, and fits in a pocket/purse), and look for places to stabilize the camera. If necessary, put it on top of a garbage can, or steady your own body by leaning against something.

With a normal handheld shutter speed, you can still get some fireworks lighting up the sky, but if you want the gorgeous long trails and you want to capture the backgrounds (like the castle ), then you need a very slow shutter speed of 2-10 seconds.

You can use the automatic fireworks setting, but I created my own custom fireworks setting using the memory recall mode. (let's you do 3 customizations saved). For my custom setting, I start with Iso 125, aperture of 11, and a 6 second shutter release. Importantly, I set the drive on a 2 second timer. Why a timer? Want to avoid any camera shake with such a slow shutter. So if I'm using a tripod or resting the camera on a surface, clicking the shutter button shakes the camera. This way, I can push the button and then step back, before the camera goes off.

For dark restaurants, if you don't want to use a flash, I'd just go with superior auto mode.

For nighttime action shots, you can try the handheld twilight mode, but that's better for night landscapes. You can go with the high ISO sensitivity mode. That will likely get you good small shots, but too noisy to blow up. If you feel comfortable enough to play around with the manual settings, switch ISO to 800 or 1600, switch to shutter priority mode. And find the fastest shutter speed you can get away with. (hard to get good handheld shots any slower than 1/50).

Thanks for the great advice!! I have been playing around with every setting on the camera. I was just hoping I would know a head of time about the parade at night. Things happen so quickly, I won't have time to mess around with changing the settings, so it would be nice know before hand. Perhaps, I should try ISO sensitivity, I won't be blowing the pics up larger than 4x6 so that might be a good choice. I did order one of those handheld tripod things, maybe I will be able to use that for the fireworks. Havoc315, you never know our pugs could be long lost cousins!! They look so much alike!!

Hakepb thanks I think he is very cute myself, but I am biased!!

Thanks for the great advice!! I have been playing around with every setting on the camera. I was just hoping I would know a head of time about the parade at night. Things happen so quickly, I won't have time to mess around with changing the settings, so it would be nice know before hand. Perhaps, I should try ISO sensitivity, I won't be blowing the pics up larger than 4x6 so that might be a good choice. I did order one of those handheld tripod things, maybe I will be able to use that for the fireworks. Havoc315, you never know our pugs could be long lost cousins!! They look so much alike!!

Hakepb thanks I think he is very cute myself, but I am biased!!

Sorry to disappear. I had oral surgery Wednesday and just now coming out of my haze.

This may sound silly but you can practice the parade settings by going to a local shopping center or area with faster moving traffic but better lighting and sit in your car and shoot away. Try the combinations that work best and note them.

I agree about the fireworks, You need to set the camera on a surface of some type.

The cruise dining rooms aren't as low light as you may think. While not really bright, you can see very well so you may just want to use A+ for those.

Wow, Havoc315 your pics are stunning!! I took some more yesterday that I will share with everyone that I'm pretty happy with!!

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

I gotta admit, I be impressed. :thumbsup2

I love the selected color thing. I wish my Canon did that. Heck, it probably does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter