Someone Talk Me Out of my Port Orleans French Quarter Addiction..... If You Can

i REALLY think you should try a split stay this time. do POP first and then if its not all you thought it would be then at least the last part of your trip will be at HOME. I am an avid POFQ person, been staying there almost 10 years now, but I do wish that i could do some split stays. i go with my parents (im 26, single, only child, but dont live at home haha) and my dad is stuck in a rut. we stayed at the AKL once for my parents anniversay before ever staying at POFQ. it was nice but not worth the price for just a place to sleep. my uncle and his family go every year like we do, they always try to hit up another resort, they have done most of the values and moderates and their favorite is POP and dont want to stay anywhere else now. another set of friends we go with all the time choose to stay at POR or POFQ to be closer to us most of the time but they are starting to stay at POP more because they love it so much. my dad is a disney travel agent and has gotten so many positive reviews that im trying to get him to do a split stay at POP and hes considering it. POP would be something fun and exciting, and its not COMPLETLY going out of your comfort zone if you do a split stay since you will be back home eventually...please consider it...coming from a girl who wants to try other things lol you never know how plesantly surprised you could be!!

i REALLY think you should try a split stay this time. do POP first and then if its not all you thought it would be then at least the last part of your trip will be at HOME. I am an avid POFQ person, been staying there almost 10 years now, but I do wish that i could do some split stays. i go with my parents (im 26, single, only child, but dont live at home haha) and my dad is stuck in a rut. we stayed at the AKL once for my parents anniversay before ever staying at POFQ. it was nice but not worth the price for just a place to sleep. my uncle and his family go every year like we do, they always try to hit up another resort, they have done most of the values and moderates and their favorite is POP and dont want to stay anywhere else now. another set of friends we go with all the time choose to stay at POR or POFQ to be closer to us most of the time but they are starting to stay at POP more because they love it so much. my dad is a disney travel agent and has gotten so many positive reviews that im trying to get him to do a split stay at POP and hes considering it. POP would be something fun and exciting, and its not COMPLETLY going out of your comfort zone if you do a split stay since you will be back home eventually...please consider it...coming from a girl who wants to try other things lol you never know how plesantly surprised you could be!!

Hey Amanda:

Thanks for the input. Yes, I have already considered this.

I'm going to do all 8 days at POP. But as soon as I get home I will book 5days for a 2016 POP/ POFQ Split! 2 night at POP and 2 nights at POFQ (or POFQ/CARIB BEACH). I could never totally abandon POFQ... too many great memories. But right now I want a 100 percent new experience. I know that wasn't my mindset when I started this thread but it really is my mindset now and I'm actually excited about POP. I want to do new things, and I think I will actually enjoy this particular visit more that way. It's been 15 years. I don't want old memories (as nice as they are)... I want new ones! The Disney experience is too vast for me to stay stuck in one mode. (*_*)

I am sure you have gotten so much advice that you are ready to close down this thread! But I figured I'd share because in reading your last post, you went with POP. I honestly have to say I had a better experience at POP than at POFQ and I applaud your decision to try something new. While I love the grounds at POFQ....it is such a beautiful and peaceful place to stay and I loved how small and uncrowded it was, our room was not great. Beds were so uncomfortable that I had to put pillows on top of the mattress just to be able to sleep for more than two hours without waking up feeling like I had been stabbed by the springs. The water leaked and the room was very dark. I did not care for the food at the food court with the exception of the wonder beignets! So although I am in a serious minority, I would have to say my stay at the POP in a preferred room was far more enjoyable. My favorite place so far has been the Port Orleans Riverside. Maybe you should check that one out too for next time! Have fun!

so you are trading in the familiar for something new and exciting... that's all i meant with my suggestion earlier lol. have a FANTASTIC time!!! we've stayed at a lot of the resorts and i've honestly only had one bad resort experience on property and that was a boardwalk but it was a cm thing not the resort itself and we all know how sometimes it only takes one person being bad at their job to put a damper on your overall experience. and the added bonus is that the next time you stay at pofq it too will feel all new and fresh again :)

I am sure you have gotten so much advice that you are ready to close down this thread! But I figured I'd share because in reading your last post, you went with POP. I honestly have to say I had a better experience at POP than at POFQ and I applaud your decision to try something new. While I love the grounds at POFQ....it is such a beautiful and peaceful place to stay and I loved how small and uncrowded it was, our room was not great. Beds were so uncomfortable that I had to put pillows on top of the mattress just to be able to sleep for more than two hours without waking up feeling like I had been stabbed by the springs. The water leaked and the room was very dark. I did not care for the food at the food court with the exception of the wonder beignets! So although I am in a serious minority, I would have to say my stay at the POP in a preferred room was far more enjoyable. My favorite place so far has been the Port Orleans Riverside. Maybe you should check that one out too for next time! Have fun!

Thanks A Lopez:

I'm really not tired of thread. I learn so much from these boards and I still welcome input for future reference!

I always loved FQ over POR because I'm not attracted to the rural setting. I loved the French Quarter "City" theme of POFQ. I never had a bad experience at FQ, but hubby and I had a bad experience when we went over to Dixie Landings (as it was called at that time) for breakfast. Experienced a little bout of discrimination that I'd rather not further elaborate on. It left a sour taste in my mouth and so my husband and I vowed to never return. But aside from that experience POR still doesn't move me anyway.

I agree about the food. Even though I have never been to POP, I keep up with all of the food blogs and pictures, and I'm aware of the menu. The food does appear to be much better than POFQ. I never had big meals anyway when I stayed at POFQ... but I intend to enjoy more food this go 'round. I already know which dishes that I am looking forward to having!

Yes, POP just feel like more fun that POFQ!

so you are trading in the familiar for something new and exciting... that's all i meant with my suggestion earlier lol. have a FANTASTIC time!!! we've stayed at a lot of the resorts and i've honestly only had one bad resort experience on property and that was a boardwalk but it was a cm thing not the resort itself and we all know how sometimes it only takes one person being bad at their job to put a damper on your overall experience. and the added bonus is that the next time you stay at pofq it too will feel all new and fresh again :)

Hey EvilQueen!

I don't remember who said what, but I do remember being told that. But I just wasn't feeling it at that time. It hit me all of the sudden... it was an overnight kind of thing. I just woke up feeling that way. But the bottom line is that you (and others?) certainly had it right. I think it may have been because I had only JUST decided that I was going to do Disney at that time. My only desire was POFQ because it was the only memory I had... and it was such a great memory. I think that's where it came from. I wanted to go back to what I already knew felt good. But all of the colorful pictures that my DISBoards friends were posting of the value resorts were just so darned cute and alive and Disney-esque... I knew I wanted to try it.

Whats funny is that I sort of saw this post as somewhat of a novelty. But I was just thinking about this post just last night. I now see that I must have really still been interested in at least a slight consideration for change or I wouldn't have posted it at all. But in my heart I never imagined that anyone would really be able to change my mind. But of course... my mind has been changed! (*_*)

I really appreciate your input along with the others as well!

Hi @LadyDiznee123

Really interesting thread!!

I am going to offer you no help whatsoever (but it looks like you are going for POFQ anyway! :thumbsup2) but we are having the opposite dilemma!

We stayed at POFQ last year and LOVED it!

We are now in the process of booking our next trip for Sept. 2016. I want to go back to POFQ, however it is about £400/$625 cheaper to stay at Coronado Springs.

Now, I have done my homework. I have read the reviews, looked at the video & pics, and it looks like a beautiful resort.....but I just cannot let go of POFQ.

The small size, the one bus stop, the DTD boats....everything about it. Am I mad to pay the extra £400/$625 to stay there. The answer (in my head) is yes.

The DBF, on the other hand, has to throw a spanner in the works with lines like "we have already done POFQ", "it would be nice to try somewhere knew".

The fight isn't over yet! :joker:

You know, Liquid Sunshine - So many have that feeling about POFQ. I guess i am not a candidate to compare since I have never stayed at any other resort... but I just think it's such a lovely and charming resort and so many others who have stayed at many of the other resorts agree as well.

But at the end of the day, if I stayed at my LEAST desired resort.. I'd be happy to be on the Disney premises and I recognize (like our DBF) its just a place to lay my head. I could stay anywhere at Disney at be happy. I'm rarely there except to sleep and I do take one day to sit by the pool for 2-3 hours!

Love that emoji! POFQ FOREVER!!!!

We did POFQ for our first on property stay. It was incredible! We said we would love to stay there again. We then stayed at WL. It was amazing and said we have to stay there again. Then CSR. Eh. We said...probably not again. Finally, Pop. It was fantastic! We said when the vacation budget is tight, that's the perfect place to go to again! They all feel different but most still feel like home.

You know, Liquid Sunshine - So many have that feeling about POFQ. I guess i am not a candidate to compare since I have never stayed at any other resort... but I just think it's such a lovely and charming resort and so many others who have stayed at many of the other resorts agree as well.

But at the end of the day, if I stayed at my LEAST desired resort.. I'd be happy to be on the Disney premises and I recognize (like our DBF) its just a place to lay my head. I could stay anywhere at Disney at be happy. I'm rarely there except to sleep and I do take one day to sit by the pool for 2-3 hours!

Love that emoji! POFQ FOREVER!!!!

"if I stayed at my LEAST desired resort.. I'd be happy to be on the Disney premises" - this is very true.

If our budget had of been slightly bigger, we would definitely have stayed at AKL. That is the resort I really want to try. But, it hasn't happened for this trip.

We did POFQ for our first on property stay. It was incredible! We said we would love to stay there again. We then stayed at WL. It was amazing and said we have to stay there again. Then CSR. Eh. We said...probably not again. Finally, Pop. It was fantastic! We said when the vacation budget is tight, that's the perfect place to go to again! They all feel different but most still feel like home.

This. ::yes::

Exactly!

Hey Amanda:

Thanks for the input. Yes, I have already considered this.

I'm going to do all 8 days at POP. But as soon as I get home I will book 5days for a 2016 POP/ POFQ Split! 2 night at POP and 2 nights at POFQ (or POFQ/CARIB BEACH). I could never totally abandon POFQ... too many great memories. But right now I want a 100 percent new experience. I know that wasn't my mindset when I started this thread but it really is my mindset now and I'm actually excited about POP. I want to do new things, and I think I will actually enjoy this particular visit more that way. It's been 15 years. I don't want old memories (as nice as they are)... I want new ones! The Disney experience is too vast for me to stay stuck in one mode. (*_*)

good for you!! i was hoping you would do the whole trip at POP but you didnt seem to want to at first, i guess i didnt read far enough but im GLAD you are doing it....please let me know how you like it!!!! i would LOVE to know how another POFQ lover loves another resort!!!

Hello All:

I don't want to confuse anyone. I am going SOLO probably in Late October / Early November and my choice resort is POFQ. I've stayed there with my former husband four years back to back from 97 to 2000. Now I am going solo because I can't find another adult who can afford it right now. There is even a chance that I may not be able to make it but as of right now... I'M GOIN' DARNIT!

Anyway POFQ is just my favorite for a number of reasons. It has an adult feel. I love the short bus lines when its time to leave the park. I love the short walk to my room from the bus because its one of the smaller resorts. And most especially I LOVE my ferry ride to Downtown Disney from Port Orleans. So I really have no problem with this decision. It's a no-brainer for me.

That being said I have decided to do POFQ knowing that I am also on a budget and I do wonder if I will enjoy POP Century (or another resort). Aside from the fact that a value resort will be cheaper and that a change will be simply a new form of excitement for me.... i'd like some more reasons to make this change. If I didn't love POFQ so much the change wouldn't be a problem but it IS a problem.

These boards are what changed my mind about doing a SOLO trip. Perhaps these boards can get me out of my POFQ COMFORT ZONE and give me other resort suggestions and reasons to not do POFQ.

I beseech you all to change my mind! Moreover, I would still welcome hearing from those who say stick with what I love (PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER). I feel so set on POFQ... someone please feel free to tell me to broaden my horizons and try another resort.

Thanks for indulging me!

I hate to tell you this, but you just made me want to stay at POFQ even more, haha.

How long are you staying? Resort hop and do a few nights elsewhere and end your trip at POFQ. Although right now the best discount for fall doesn't include POFQ. That's the primary reason this next father/daughter trip is going elsewhere. We decided to stay at Caribbean Beach since we're never seen it even before and sounded like a very different experience from almost every other resort. A little disney getaway while on our disney getaway.

How long are you staying? Resort hop and do a few nights elsewhere and end your trip at POFQ. Although right now the best discount for fall doesn't include POFQ. That's the primary reason this next father/daughter trip is going elsewhere. We decided to stay at Caribbean Beach since we're never seen it even before and sounded like a very different experience from almost every other resort. A little disney getaway while on our disney getaway.

8 Days.
I'm going to make the POP transition and enjoy it for the full 8 days. But next trip I am going to do POP 2 nights and POFQ 2 nights. POFQ 2 nights and Carib Beach for 2 nights. I'm very excited now about seeing different resorts!

if you really want to like the new resorts then stay at least 3 days at each. 2 days you might not even remember them - you are packing more than you are exploring.

loved both POR and POFQ - that say if I had not brought DVC when I did - then would be staying every time at POP - it is a fun place - and never found my room dirty - guess I had a better housekeeper than PP.

at pop be sure to walk around the grounds - there is much to enjoy and see - I stay now at BLT (sold OKW for it) and just love it. but could I afford it w/o DVC - no way. this Sept going for one day to stay at the PV&B (the new poly dvc) so my brother can see it. they are going to be there for 5 days staying at OKW. can do one day because moving close by.

now staying at PV&B for one day after telling you to stay for 3 days - well - we (entire family) has been to the Polyn resort many times so the resort is not unfamiliar.

the night we are staying is one of the nights of the Halloween party!!! besides it was the only night available at any of the DVC mk resorts for that week.

you could also consider renting a reservation thru a DVC member (not me) or a broker and staying at AKV/L - the value rooms are a great value and so for me is the standard especially at Jambo House (AKL) is a really good value.

love trying new resorts!!!.

the easiest one to rent are OKW, SSR (only take it just no other choice - too expensive for what you get my opinion), at times AKV/L. they are the 3 biggest DVC resorts on WDW property.

if you really want to like the new resorts then stay at least 3 days at each. 2 days you might not even remember them - you are packing more than you are exploring.

loved both POR and POFQ - that say if I had not brought DVC when I did - then would be staying every time at POP - it is a fun place - and never found my room dirty - guess I had a better housekeeper than PP.

at pop be sure to walk around the grounds - there is much to enjoy and see - I stay now at BLT (sold OKW for it) and just love it. but could I afford it w/o DVC - no way. this Sept going for one day to stay at the PV&B (the new poly dvc) so my brother can see it. they are going to be there for 5 days staying at OKW. can do one day because moving close by.

now staying at PV&B for one day after telling you to stay for 3 days - well - we (entire family) has been to the Polyn resort many times so the resort is not unfamiliar.

the night we are staying is one of the nights of the Halloween party!!! besides it was the only night available at any of the DVC mk resorts for that week.

you could also consider renting a reservation thru a DVC member (not me) or a broker and staying at AKV/L - the value rooms are a great value and so for me is the standard especially at Jambo House (AKL) is a really good value.

love trying new resorts!!!.

the easiest one to rent are OKW, SSR (only take it just no other choice - too expensive for what you get my opinion), at times AKV/L. they are the 3 biggest DVC resorts on WDW property.

Hey SpiceyCat:

Loved your tips. Thanks so much. I look forward to taking a stroll or a jog around the hourglass lake and a walk across the bridge to check out AOA.

I have a character breakfast at OHANA so I can get glimpse of the Polynesian. Yes,it's going to be an adventure now that I am realizing that I do indeed want to experience a Disney variety!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter