Someone Talk Me Out of my Port Orleans French Quarter Addiction..... If You Can

Well, I am also doing a solo trip (October 18 - 22). I was leaning towads POP until now. The main thing I want to do is to go to the bus and get on the first bus that shows up. I will only have one ADR - the morning that I am going to do Keys to the Kingdom. So, due to the way the bus stops are set up, comments made here, and I have stayed at POFQ before, they are in the front running.

POFQ is never a bad choice! We are just missing each other with your dates. My dates start on the 28th and I am chatting with two other forum members about meet-ups during that time frame. Keep your eyes on the BOARDS... you'll find more ppl who will also be there during your dates!

I've never done disney solo but I've stayed at POFQ at least half a dozen times and love it but with that said I've stayed at just about all of the resorts now and the only thing I guess I can add is that for me anyway staying at new resorts gives a whole new feel to each new trip. Maybe since you've traded in the old husband maybe it's time to trade in the old resort...at least once :)

Ha! Yes someone just asked me if I would be "sad" staying at POFQ without the old hubby. Not at all. I love POFQ so much that it just wont matter! (*_*)

I'm going in the fall also some time during the Food and Wine Festival, so I know I want to be close to Epcot, but I don't want to stay at the Epcot area deluxe resorts. POFQ seems to have the best proximity to Epcot without being too far away from the other parks, so I think the location is great. If location wasn't a factor, I'd pick AKL or WL.

I have found two other people from this forum who will be there in late OCT / early NOV. If you pick those dates be sure to post them. We are getting organized in planning meet-ups with each other!

I have a solo trip coming up and I'm considering POFQ partially because it's relatively small and I have mobility issues. However, how's the food court there? The food court at Riverside seems so much bigger and better, but then the resort's a lot bigger also, but walking over there really isn't an option for me. So how's eating at POFQ?
I think the food at POFQ is decent. Last year, I had the jambalaya, a salad with shrimp, pancakes, eggs...I was fine with all of it.

Have you considered a split stay? That way you could dip your toes in a different resort without giving up your "home". Maybe two nights at Pop then spend the rest of your trip at POFQ. Disney will transfer your luggage so the whole process is rather painless.

Have you considered a split stay? That way you could dip your toes in a different resort without giving up your "home". Maybe two nights at Pop then spend the rest of your trip at POFQ. Disney will transfer your luggage so the whole process is rather painless.

Yep, I've considered it. But just can't bring myself to do it. I'm sticking with POFQ. I will branch out to a new resort on my next trip...... MAYBE! (*_*)

POR:R is too large. I love POFQ. One of my biggest selling points is the relaxing boat to DTD every night. I love winding down there by drinking and enjoying the live entertainment. Taking a bus to DTD kind of kills the vibe for me.

Thanks Richmo!
Exactly. I agree. I have decided to go with my comfort zone and then FEEL OUT Pop Centur (and maybe some other resorts) while on this trip. But since this is my return to WDW after 15 years (UGH!) and want to KNOW that I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it and sticking with my trusted resort in my comfort zone is the best route to take. Still is was so great to post this thread because you other fellow Disneyites have provided me with the strategy to check out the other places to get a feel of them.

Thanks for you input! I so agree!

Having stayed at Disney more than 25 times I have stayed at most of the hotels. I am most comfortable at Port Orleans Riverside. The bus stops are close to the rooms. There is a water taxi that takes you down to Downtown Disney. They have boats you can rent. The restaurant is good plus there is a food court , the pools are very nice, the place never has disappointed me. My next trip is the Food and Wine Festival in the end of Oct. Then going back again for the Holiday lights in Dec.
Enjoy your solo trip, its the best way to go.

Hi @LadyDiznee123

Really interesting thread!!

I am going to offer you no help whatsoever (but it looks like you are going for POFQ anyway! :thumbsup2) but we are having the opposite dilemma!

We stayed at POFQ last year and LOVED it!

We are now in the process of booking our next trip for Sept. 2016. I want to go back to POFQ, however it is about £400/$625 cheaper to stay at Coronado Springs.

Now, I have done my homework. I have read the reviews, looked at the video & pics, and it looks like a beautiful resort.....but I just cannot let go of POFQ.

The small size, the one bus stop, the DTD boats....everything about it. Am I mad to pay the extra £400/$625 to stay there. The answer (in my head) is yes.

The DBF, on the other hand, has to throw a spanner in the works with lines like "we have already done POFQ", "it would be nice to try somewhere knew".

The fight isn't over yet! :joker:

I'm going to recommend Old Key West to try to get you to kick your habit. If for no other reason than a similar location. You'll still get the amazing, relaxing boat ride to Disney Springs and you'll still have about the same trips to the parks.

OKW is a pretty quiet resort in my opinion and that's why it is one of my favorites. It is extremely relaxing at the end of a long day and there are some excellent views if you get the right rooms.

To sweeten the deal for you, if you try OKW this time, maybe I'll step outside of my comfort zone and try something other than OKW next time I'm planning a trip haha!

Hey QueenT. Thanks for your input. I'm not a fan of POR at all so that wouldn't work for me! (*_*)

Ha ha ha, this is too funny! I am the exact same way, I love FQ but refuse to stay at RS even with it cost us free dining one year. My husband thought I was being ridiculous, but I really didn't want to stay at riverside even if it meant free dining plan. I'm often lovingly refered to by him as a "resort snob"ha ha ha. He would be happy staying anywhere as long as it had a bed and AC.

Enjoy your trip to FQ, if you love something- why change it?

I'm with you, OP, my family LOVES POFQ!! I don't stay at the Values because the theming does not appeal to me at all. The only other moderate I've stayed at was CSR, and we REALLY regretted not staying at POFQ. If you love it, stick with it! We thought about trying POR once, but we just couldn't do it :D

Hey Guys:

It's been awhile since I started this thread but guess what... hard to believe... but I am indeed going to stay at POP. (Say What!!!???.. lol. I know I can barely believe it myself, but I am actually excited and very much looking forward to it).

I met two people on these boards who are going to the parks the same time that I am. We have been in some personal chats and during that time they posted pics of POP and SPORTS. And then one day something hit me differently.

I kept thinking about my lovely and serene POFQ, and my lovely and serene boat ride to DTD. And all of my lovely and serene memories of POFQ. But one day I realized I don't want lovely and serene! lol I mean it's nice - but I want something lively and new. Of course I still love POFQ and I'm certain to return again. But for this - my first SOLO visit - I realized that I do indeed want to do something different and enjoy all of the liveliness and colors of POP. I am coming into some extra money which may possibly prompt me to change my mind and change my booking to POFQ, but I doubt it. I'm really looking forward to POP now.

The only thing I know I am going to miss is never having to wait long for buses to POFQ and never being on a crowded bus. But I've already accepted that POP will not be the same bus experience and I'm okay with that!

These boards have really helped me over the past 5 months. You guys are the best! At first I came on the boards only to lurk because I was missing Disney. No one I knew could afford to go and going SOLO was out of the question for me. But I saw the thread on going solo and I knew it was true - that going solo is a great way to do Disney your way! Then I thought I could NEVER be steered away from POFQ, but indeed that has happened as well. Multiple heads are surely better than one and I appreciate all of you guys from broadening my horizons!

I'm now looking forward to my NEW Disney experience come October!

Thanks to all of you guys!!! I thought that starting this thread was somewhat of a novelty. But as it turned out... it did indeed serve its purpose!

Hi @LadyDiznee123

Really interesting thread!!

I am going to offer you no help whatsoever (but it looks like you are going for POFQ anyway! :thumbsup2) but we are having the opposite dilemma!

We stayed at POFQ last year and LOVED it!

We are now in the process of booking our next trip for Sept. 2016. I want to go back to POFQ, however it is about £400/$625 cheaper to stay at Coronado Springs.

Now, I have done my homework. I have read the reviews, looked at the video & pics, and it looks like a beautiful resort.....but I just cannot let go of POFQ.

The small size, the one bus stop, the DTD boats....everything about it. Am I mad to pay the extra £400/$625 to stay there. The answer (in my head) is yes.

The DBF, on the other hand, has to throw a spanner in the works with lines like "we have already done POFQ", "it would be nice to try somewhere knew".

The fight isn't over yet! :joker:

"...but I just cannot let go of POFQ."

I know right!? While I did make finally decide on POP... I still can't argue with this someone of this heart!

"...but I just cannot let go of POFQ."

I know right!? While I did make finally decide on POP... I still can't argue with this someone of this heart!

Just read your previous post as well. I love that you are looking forward to a new Disney resort adventure! I hope you enjoy POP, it looks like a fab resort!

P.S. We ended up booking POFQ! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter