Solo's, how do you handle buffets (or any meal, really)

Hedy

<font color=blue>I'm <s>22</s> 27 and I still kind
For those who travel solo: how do you handle not having it presumed you left when you get up to get food/use the restroom?
I tried an "I'm coming back!" napkin note last time, but it didn't always work. I'm toying with the concept of pre-printed index cards saying I'm coming back, etc., but thought you fine folks might have a suggestion.

that's an interesting question. i'd like to know what everyone's suggestion is as well, since i'll be solo in february, and eating at a few buffets.

I've never had a problem with it at buffets or other sit down meals. I think as long as you don't pay the check until you leave your server should assume you're still eating.

I've never had a problem with it at buffets or other sit down meals. I think as long as you don't pay the check until you leave your server should assume you're still eating.

I had problems twice on my last trip-maybe I look sketchy? At Chef Mickey's, the waitress told me I could stay after I paid (suggested it in fact). I got up to use the restroom, and I left a note. She had my table cleared.
I also had a barkeep at POR presume I was walking out when I went to the restroom.

Or better yet, if they assume you've left, they must have assumed you paid. So .... free meal.

Or at least you'll come back to a nice clean table each time. Maybe when you get back there will be a single of opposite sex and equal age sitting in your seat. That will make for an easy opener.

I usually take a book and leave it and my glasses on the table....i've never had anyone clean my table off with those things there

I try to visit the restroom before I'm seated when I dine solo. Generally at a buffet your server knows you are alone so I don't think they are quick to assume you've left. I think I usually have a backpack with me that I leave at the table, while carrying any valuables up to the buffet with me.

So far I've only done two buffets solo. No problems at either.

I leave my little notebook and glow-ey pen at the table. It's pretty obvious.

I use the restroom before I get to the restaurant. Once I told the waitress where I was going. At Prime Time I checked in before heading to the bathroom and the person seating ppl actually came in to find me - no I wasnt offended, I knew she was doing it cos she knew I was solo.

Akerhaus lunch will be the first buffet I attend. But even then its only 1/2 buffet, 1/2 sitdown.

All good suggestions. Now that I wear reading glasses, I leave them, my little notebook, and pen prominently. Also, I do try to use the rest room before I eat. However, despite all this, my unfinished meal did get thrown away once. I got half way thru dessert and had a sudden restroom call. When I got back, my tray was gone. I expressed surprise, but I was half way done with my cake. However, the CM insisted on taking me back and having me pick out another piece of cake-she felt so bad! And I felt obligated to finish it. So just think-you might get extra dessert out of it!

do you fly? some of the 'puke bags' on the planes actually have 'occupied' written on them. I've seen those used quite often (not that the bag is 'occupied' with puke, but that someone is sitting at in a chair to hold a spot at a table).

Technically speaking, leaving your napkin on your chair means you're coming back. Putting it on the table means you're done.

do you fly? some of the 'puke bags' on the planes actually have 'occupied' written on them. I've seen those used quite often (not that the bag is 'occupied' with puke, but that someone is sitting at in a chair to hold a spot at a table).

Ewwww:sick:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter