Solo female - which hotel would I feel safer in?

FLkid

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

Taking a solo trip soon and I'm trying to decide on a hotel. I knew I wanted to stay on site for the transportation aspect. However I'm torn on which hotel to book, I don't have a lot to spend on the room so that's where my issue lies.

I was all set on pop century but now I'm wondering if port Orleans French quarter is worth the extra money? And would I feel safer there than at pop?

I've stayed solo at Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside, and rented points at Kidani Village. I loved them all depending on what my budget allowed at the time. I also felt safe at each one. I did, however, ask if I could be closer to the main building at POFQ when I was assigned building 7. They were able to do that - and I really liked building 4. Not sure what might feel safest at Pop. My favorite building there is 9 because of the quick walk across the parking lot to the buses. Several years ago I was assigned to building 6 facing the lake. For some reason that didn't feel comfortable to me and I asked for 9 again. This was before Art of Animation was built. I think I would be fine with 6 now. You might want to ask to be closer to the main building there, too, just to feel more comfortable.

I guess it's room location for me that feels safest rather than any particular resort itself.

Pop is always fun. If you want to splurge a little on yourself, I think POFQ is charming. I really like POR, too. A lot more spread out, but it is now a favorite.

I don't think there's going to be any safety advantage to staying at POFQ over Pop Century. I do think you will like POFQ more, as it's more adult and peaceful. How much extra $ would POFQ be for your trip?

I don't think there's going to be any safety advantage to staying at POFQ over Pop Century. I do think you will like POFQ more, as it's more adult and peaceful. How much extra $ would POFQ be for your trip?

Agreed. I would definitely pick POFQ!

Around $160 more

It looks so nice, I just don't want to go over kill for just me. But pop seems like it would be very appealing to families with kids so might be a bit noisier?

On our family trip (with my brother mom and step dad) we got an offsite super 8 for $40 a night that I was perfectly fine with (room wise, wouldn't stay there alone and disney transportation is a must for my solo trip)

I even looked at downtown disney hotels with their own dedicated bus service. I just want to feel safe and have access to parks/DTD without having to drive. I also don't need a fancy pool

I just stayed at POFQ last week on my solo trip. I love the property for many reasons. Size is perfect. No matter which building you are in, you are close to everything. I was in building 6 and never felt unsafe walking to and from my car, or anywhere on property. I also like the food court there. It was never crowded, food was good, and they offer the TIW discount even though it is not a table service restaurant. I also agree that this is one of the quietest properties I have stayed at. Wherever you decide to stay, ENJOY! :)

I have never stayed at Pop, but stayed at POFQ for the first time this year and loved it! (I'm a solo female, too.) I had a great location in Bldg 5, facing the lawn where they show movies in the evening, and near the end closest to the food court. My main request was "not ground floor" (probably doesn't matter, but I just feel better that way).

For my money, POFQ would be worth the extra, just because it's so compact and pretty, and the boat ride to DTD is a plus if you plan to spend much time there. I never felt unsafe, and there's probably no difference with Pop in that regard, just be sensible and take the usual precautions you'd use anywhere. Either place, I'd request a location convenient to the main building (would probably pay for a preferred room at Pop; there are no preferred rooms at POFQ because it's so small).

Solo trips are awesome!

Any chance you could afford AKL or WL? I like the fact that everything is in one building at those resorts. No need to be walking out alone at night to get to your room.

I also go solo and always request a room above the first floor as I like to keep my balcony door open and unlocked while I am in the room. One time no upper floors were available the first night but I was moved the next morning.

I would select POFQ. I've stayed there solo a few times. It's a lovely resort! :goodvibes

I've stayed solo at ASSp, ASMu, and AoA and didn't feel unsafe at any of them. I'll be solo at Pop next week and expect a similar experience.

I stayed at Pop in August on my first solo trip. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe there. I was in the 50's section on the top floor (facing the 60's buildings). Every night when I would get back, I would walk through the gift shop/lobby instead of walking around by the luggage area because there were always other people going through the gift shop.
And I never thought it was too noisy, either. The only time I really noticed how many people were there was when I was waiting at bus stops. The pools could get loud, but I was on the other side of the building so I never heard a peep.
But, if I would have been willing to spend the extra dough, I would have rather stayed at POFQ. I love the entire atmosphere there. Don't get me wrong, Pop is super fun, but my heart belongs at Port Orleans!
My reason for staying at Pop was strictly financial. I was by myself and didn't feel I needed to stay at a more expensive resort. I know my daughter would love Pop, too, but she REALLY loves both Port Orleans resorts, so that's where she likes to stay also.

It's six of one,,,half dozen of the other. Not much difference as far as safety is concerned. They are both exterior-door resorts. The only way to gain a greater measure of safety is with interior-door resorts. I.e. the Deluxe.....

Pop always has a lot of activity going on - even late at night. I would feel very safe staying there alone.

I have stayed at AoA (Little Mermaid) and POR solo. I will be staying at POFQ solo next month.

I never felt unsafe at either resort and the LM rooms are the furtherst away from the main lobby.

I also ask not to be on the first floor and close to the main building (POR).

I loved the quietness of POR which is why I chose POFQ this time.

I am thinking of doing another solo trip in May and will probably try CSR or if I can swing it one of the Epcot resort hotels.

Bascially, I feel safe staying at any WDW resort.

i've gone solo several times and stayed at Pop - on those trips, i'd be back in the room before it got dark each night, so i felt safe

other solo trips i've taken i stayed at CR and stayed out later, when it was dark (at EP and MK) since i would take the monorail back to the CR

just me - felt safer when alone and not taking a bus at night - i know, it's safe and all that - when i've gone with DH and DS, i'm ok with taking a bus in the dark and walking back to Pop - again: just how i am..

Pop is generally not dark at night - it is lite up.

the main parking lot is probably the darkest area.

stayed in several as a solo. one thing - don't ever take to WDW anything that would kill you if it got stolen. WDW has thieves - you can tell - the guards start asking for key and ID - when this happened if is easier to go to the machine (it just need the key)

think you will be safe at any WDW resort. Now your things maybe not. - Oh the deluxe resorts get thieves too - so again don't bring your expensive things to WDW. bring the fake jewelry - bring the cheaper phones and other stuff.

now some people don't like the food court - which Pop has. and prefer restuarants - which the moderates and deluxes have.

that depends upon you. happen to love the food courts.

Thank you everyone!

Well due to me apparently waiting too long to book a room at port Orleans, there was no longer a room open for the 3rd night I planned to be there. So I went ahead and booked 2 nights there and I'm probably going to book the last night at pop unless someone thinks there's a chance of the third night somehow being available in a month?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter