• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Soarin' and motion sickness?

Wow lots of different reactions. So, I'll go ahead and add mine. First, Soarin is my favorite! I don't usually have a motion problem. It gets me when I least expect it. I got seasick on a cruise ship after years of boating without ever having a problem. Soarin gets me a little dizzy when it goes to the nighttime shot flying over the cars and into Disney Land. Not enough to make me nauseous and as soon as Tinkerbell is in DL I'm fine. Weird!

I get motion sick on everything... and I mean literally everything, like in swimming pools (from the bobbing motion when swimming:sick:) and sometimes even in the bathroom. I am OK in cars, provided I am in the front seat, stay facing forward always, and don't look in my purse for anything... just sit facing forward, looking straight forward. Planes require serious motion sickness meds!

At WDW, I take one bonine every day. It's a different drug from dramamine and I find it works better and makes me less sleepy than the dramamine. I wouldn't dare try the busses, monorails, boats, or parking lot trams without bonine! SO... even with the bonine, I can't do roller coasters, motion simulators (StarTours, etc), and would never consider even trying teacups or AstroOrbiter, Mission:Space (and Goofy's Barnstormer just killed me). I am "OK" for ONE ride on TestTrak or BTMRR. I have to be careful on both Philharmagic and Soarin. I think it's the "largeness" of the screen and the visual concept of moving, even though my body isn't really moving. It's OK- I know to close my eyes when Aladdin and Jasmine are flying through the streets, for example- and if I close my eyes on Soarin when the woozy feeling starts, I am OK. Soarin is funny, though... sometimes it bothers me, sometimes it doesn't, and it's different parts of the show that bother me each time. I also sometimes have trouble being in the middle or lower row... don't like the closed-in feeling from all those feet dangling over my head, I guess.

As a PP noted, it seems to be different for everyone. I wouldn't risk it... I'd take a bonine, or even a HALF a bonine, and know that I'm "safe."

I don't think you will get sick with motion sickness from it. Its a smooth slow ride. I would think it would be ok, star tours, now that is a different story.

What do you mean? My DS loves Star Wars and I was hoping to take him on this ride.... but he's not a huge ride fan when it comes to these things. He sometimes get sick in the cars. Will Star Tours effect him?

I get motion sickness on many things but Soarin is not one of them. For some reason it just doesn't affect me but Star Tours causes me to close my eyes many times due to the motion sickness. Everyone's different!:confused3

What do you mean? My DS loves Star Wars and I was hoping to take him on this ride.... but he's not a huge ride fan when it comes to these things. He sometimes get sick in the cars. Will Star Tours effect him?

Don't get me wrong, its a great ride. But it is very jerky and moves around fast and stuff. I am not sure if you have ever been on this but you sit in a seat strapped in and there is a video screen that is very real looking and you fly around and move all around. Basically the entire room of seats moves together like your flying and stopping and stuff.

If he gets sick in the car, the ride might affect him. Maybe when you go you can ask a cast member what they think or maybe they can show you how it is before you board or something.

My son and I are both plagues by motion sickness. Neither of us have issues with Soarin. I think it's because it is really like a "rocking chair" as the cast member described it - very gentle and the motions fit the actionon the screen. I often close my eyes for about the firts 20 seconds and then slowly open them and I'm ok. I can't fly, ride boats or other moving things without Gravol, so if I can do it, he probably can too!

My dad gets terrible motion sickness and he does fine on soarin he cant even watch movies in IMAX.

That's the way I am. Any kind of IMAX movie or motion simulator makes me sick. Definitely MS and that Arctic thing at Sea World was awful. But not Soarin'. I had one slightly queasy moment when we banked hard once, but that's it. And it was totally worth a little queasiness. :thumbsup2

The ride itself has no motion except for the firework bump at the end so if you close your eyes it is as if you are sitting in a chair.

My first time, I closed my eyes through the first half. My second time, I was totally calm and kept my eyes open the entire time.

My third time this past April? Awful! We were in the front row of seats which meant we were suspended the highest of the three rows that move forward towards the screen. I held on for dear life and was convinced that I was going to fall off the seat. I also had to close my eyes a lot. Never again - I'm done with Soarin'.

I'm positive my second time which was so peaceful was also because we were seated towards the back row which didn't raise up as high.

I know with me, it's probably more a fear of heights than anything. But I'm wondering if perhaps sitting in the back row that doesn't lift as high might help your stepdad? Ask them to seat you there.

My wife has terrible motion sickness issues, but loves Soarin' and has never had a problem.

im ok with most rides at Disney. But for some reason Soarin gets me a little queasy. It looks like im the only one on these boards that felt this way?

Im ok with car & plane rides thou. Go figure.

i have awful motion sickness - rode soarin' last time

was ok for most of the time - would close my eyes when i felt "off"

Does your stepdad seem to get motion sick on simulation rides - such as Star Tours? b/c if he does maybe he wouldn't feel so great on Soarin. I have never heard of anyone feeling sick on Soarin' but you never know.

Have a great trip!! :wizard:

I have awful motion sickness. I cannot ride the teacups, Star Tours, or Mission: Space (even the green version...I'd hate to think what I'd look like on Orange!).

I have never had a problem on Soarin' and I have ridden it about 10 times. It is my favorite ride in WDW.

My oldest DS rides roller coaster and any other crazy thrill ride he can find with no problem, but Soarin made him dizzy beyond belief!

This exactly!! I don't know what it was about this attraction, but I felt dizzy and slightly nauseated during, and for about half an hour after :sick:

I have to close my eyes during the part over the water and occasionnally other parts but the breeze helps and I can usually tell when I need to close my eyes. The one time I had the most trouble was when I went right after eating, but I can't explain that since you are not moving.

I get motion sickness from the Teacups or Mission to Mars and once from riding Everest twice in a short period of time. I have had zero problems with Soarin. In fact I am one of the dorky dads that puts out his arms and pretends to fly during the ride.

The ride itself has no motion except for the firework bump at the end so if you close your eyes it is as if you are sitting in a chair.

Actually, the seats do have motion. That carriages rock back and forth slightly in accordance to the screen. Look to the side at the other carriages to see them move.

I have never gotten motion sick from Soarin'. Actually I find the ride rather relaxing and exhilarating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter