So why am I not HAPPY?

I say buy DVC, then you always have a room. Use the new DVC discount on premium passes (a very good deal), then you have tickets for a year. Then cook sometimes in the room to pretend like you are saving money. Then somehow use fuzzy Disney math to show your DH what a great deal it all is.

There are also places that rent DVC points, but it doesn't come with the ticket discounts.

....my brother and his DW just bought last year - my DH would never, EVER buy DVC....:confused3 :sad2:

can you rent DVC points and use your gift cards for tickets, meals, etc.?

.....actually, the thought crossed my mind....I don't think I could use the gift cards for the DVC rental though - I'd have to pay that outright, correct? :confused3

Have you looked at renting points from someone?

The DVC resorts, are always nice and you can stay pretty cheap by renting points...

.....actually, the thought crossed my mind....I don't think I could use the gift cards for the DVC rental though - I'd have to pay that outright, correct? :confused3

Correct. And why wouldn't he buy DVC? You do know you can deed them to your children. We bought our contracts so that it can split equally between the girls. Though there may be a fight over who gets the Bay Lake.

We bought back when the price was in the high $60's. Never looked back. It has paid for itself and then some. Friends of ours always stay at Deluxe Club level at Yacht Club - several trips a year. No way could we afford that. What they pay for just a few days pays for our maintainance for the entire year. To be quite honest, I can't imagine paying the current DVC rates. That's why I suggested resale - there are always some good contracts up for sale.

If that is out of the question, then I would suggest renting - there are some very reliable rental agencies.

....my brother and his DW just bought last year - my DH would never, EVER buy DVC....:confused3 :sad2:

I feel ya. My DH wouldn't even listen to the spiel when we were down there in June.

But I'm confused about your DH though. Why did he buy you that Disney GC if he didn't intend to go? If he's agreed to it I say just get online, book a room and get non-refundable flights. Before he changes his mind!

I feel ya. My DH wouldn't even listen to the spiel when we were down there in June.

But I'm confused about your DH though. Why did he buy you that Disney GC if he didn't intend to go? If he's agreed to it I say just get online, book a room and get non-refundable flights. Before he changes his mind!

I like the way you think....

I think he is going to have to understand that if he is not open to staying at a cheaper place on property then he is going to have to pay the cost. My DH would never pay for deluxe prices--well, maybe for a trip every 4 years or something.

Christmas time at Disney is beautiful but I do not think I'd be game for being there Christmas week. Are you sure this is the time of year you all want to go? Crowds are bad and prices are up. I say this just because it sounds like your DH is not totally sold on Disney trips & I feel a trip at this time of year could be detrimental.

Look into renting points. It is a better way to stay deluxe I'm sure.

It may be very hard at this point in the year to rent points over Christmas.
Kimmar, have you considered pricing POR or POFQ? They are both really nice resorts. At least you could compare $$ mod/deluxe, how many days at either, that sort of thing and see what you think. You could even split a stay-say 3 nites POFQ and then the last 3 at AKL. :goodvibes

I was wondering the same thing. If he wants to go at Christmas, and has given you the gift cards...then book.

I would NOT choose to be there at Christmas time. If you want to go to see the decor, go before Christmas. We went the 2nd week of December in 2008 and it was great. And much MUCH cheaper and less crowded than over the actual holiday.

Kimmar, I would book during Free Dining, in the later half of Nov or early part of December.

That way, you get to see Disney all dressed for Christmas (which is beautiful!), you get to go when prices are not so insane (peak holiday prices), AND you get free dining!!

pixiedust:

Seriously- Xmass is too crowded

Can you try The Swan? We lays sayed at Akl or WL and the Swan was cheaper..also the Dolphin if you ave AAA

She may have to do those dates as she teaches. Not sure but that may be why. I went the first week of christmas and it wasn't to bad.

For the airfare, are you close to the Westchester County airport? Their flights on Jetblue might be a decent price if you are close to there.

....and here's the thing: I'm one of those 'I'd-rather-stay-at-ANY-WDW-resort-than-stay-at-home' kinda gals, but during our most recent WDW stays, it was at the Deluxes and I know that my DH wouldn't be interested in staying at a Mod or Value anymore....

We're DVC members at BWV and have also stayed in suites at most of the deluxe resorts. Honestly, a mod stay to me has been just as much fun. The only downside is having to take a bus or drive so instead we call for a taxi if one is not stationed at the main building.
The Swan and Dolphin are nice alternatives if he has to stay deluxe.

can you rent DVC points and use your gift cards for tickets, meals, etc.?

There is almost a zero chance of anything being available for stays that close to Christmas. There will be points for sale but no rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter