So why am I not HAPPY?

I feel ya. My DH wouldn't even listen to the spiel when we were down there in June.

But I'm confused about your DH though. Why did he buy you that Disney GC if he didn't intend to go? If he's agreed to it I say just get online, book a room and get non-refundable flights. Before he changes his mind!

.....no, he's actually the one who keeps bringing it up.....when I did some prelim investigating, brtween the prices of the rooms and the prices of the flights, I don't know which threw me for a loop MORE.... :eek: :faint:

they have room discounts now and free dining offers now and FD goes until 12/20/12.

....I know - there is NO way that I can take off from school though....:confused3 The earliest we could leave would be on the 21st...

She may have to do those dates as she teaches. Not sure but that may be why. I went the first week of christmas and it wasn't to bad.

.....I would love to, but now, ESPECIALLY with good ol' Gov Christie's changes with tenure and how he feels about teachers, I absolutely CANNOT take off. I should point out that we've been to WDW for the Christmas Holidays twice before, so we've seen the decorations (absolutely gorgeous, BTW!) and we already know about the crowds....that doesn't seem to bother him. Mebbe it's just me overreacting because I just know from past experience, he's done stuff like saying, "I'm not sure if I'm still going [to WDW]"....and sometimes it's literally THE DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE! His emotions make him WANT to go to WDW, but then his sensibilities take over and he's questioning how to justify the price of the trip.....

I understand , my ex used to pull some wing ding things. He never allowed us to go any where. My kids have never been anywhere. But I love it at Christmas time. I never got around to seeing allot of things, but 5 days wasn't long enough.

You need to GO! (You need to finish up your TR, but mebbe I can help. I'll PM you)

I thought your first night had to be the last day of the promotion. So technically, you could check in the 21st for the room only discount if it ends on the 22nd and it'd extend your entire vacation period. I'd call Disney and check though first.

If you were arrive prior to the start of the discount, then you'd have to do two bookings to get the discount for when it started.

.....soooo, my DH has made mention [several times now] that he would like to go to WDW for the Christmas Holidays. Great, right? And, for my birthday last Sunday, he included in the card a Disney gift card for, let's just say, 'quite a substantial amount'....Mind you, I still have a Disney gift card for $150 from last year's Mother's Day. And, he has almost another 500 points on his Disney Visa which will eventually be transferred to his Rewards card. I also have about $140 (give or take) on mine, so you're talking more than $1,000 to go towards our vacay.

Our last WDW visit was 2 summers ago (Aug 2010), in which we stayed with friends at their timeshare (off-site) and before that was Dec 2007, at which time we stayed at the Dolphin, with the teachers' discount. My point is, the last time we actually stayed at a Disney resort was quite a while ago....anyhoo, I researched to see if I could come up with room codes or any package deals. Trouble is, between airfare (we'd be flying from the NYC area)and what it's gonna cost for 3 of us, it'll still be a small fortune! I'm afraid this is going to leave a bad taste in my DH's mouth and he'll be likely to change his mind about going. Anyone who knows of his antics, fully know of what I am speaking.....I wanna get all psyched about this possible trip - I mean, after all, the planning is HALF THE FUN of a WDW vacay! :confused3 I'm already a 'Debbie Downer' before I've even called CRO or done one single thing.....

Approximate date ranges?

Could you drive down? If it's JUST the two of you...it might be cheaper to fly (given current gas prices)...not sure what you're seeing for airfare rates.

Thought of flying out of Westchester (HPN)? Not sure of your dates..but maybe they're cheaper?

Are you a AAA member? Call AAA travel and see what they have for you? The issue is: Hard to use those Disney Gift Cards on a AAA package (though you could use them, on site, for food, etc).

Maybe a mod (Coronado is really nice..though I know it's not AKL) or value, or a split stay?

If he's suggesting the trip, he has to be ready for SOME expense. Maybe come up with a couple scenarios and push that, since you're SAVING so much, it's really "not that bad"?

....we've been flying out of AC lately, because Spirit has been cheaper....unfortunately, the 'Free Dining' ends the 20th of December and 'Room Only' discounts end Dec 22. The earliest we could leave IS the 21, so one day would be reasonable, but not the rest of the trip. Plus, there's the expense of the park tix, PLUS our meals....I really should be ecstatic that this could actually come into fruition, but I keep getting a sense of doom....

Don't the room only discounts work like free dining? As long as you check in prior to the last valid date, it applies to your whole stay?

Maybe not....I can't remember.

I say buy DVC, then you always have a room. Use the new DVC discount on premium passes (a very good deal), then you have tickets for a year. Then cook sometimes in the room to pretend like you are saving money. Then somehow use fuzzy Disney math to show your DH what a great deal it all is.

There are also places that rent DVC points, but it doesn't come with the ticket discounts.

Not really enough time left (unless you want to buy direct from Disney...and the retail prices are not worth what they get you vs resale prices) for them to do that and book a December trip. Reslae's been running right around 2 to 3 months for closing (4 weeks for ROFR alone)...and she doesn't have that kind of time.

Besides, DVC avail for December is pretty much nil at most resorts. Early Dec books up fast, and the actual holidays are pretty popular too.

If they were going to travel every year...I would (and have, in the Jambo AKL threads) suggest DVC purchase. But...if you've read kimmars trippies and other posts....her hubby isn't the Disney nut that she is and it sometimes takes HERCULEAN efforts to get him to head down. That's HE is suggesting a X-mas trip is enough of a miracle. I'm not sure kimmar could get him to agree to go every year (or every other) long term, up front.

.....actually, the thought crossed my mind....I don't think I could use the gift cards for the DVC rental though - I'd have to pay that outright, correct? :confused3

Correct, because Disney has nothing to do with that transaction. It's all between the renter and the rentee, directly. Which means:

a) There is always SOME risk involved
b) It's a cash transaction, basically. There are a couple of rental "proxies" that would let you use a CC..but not a gift card.

.....no, he's actually the one who keeps bringing it up.....when I did some prelim investigating, brtween the prices of the rooms and the prices of the flights, I don't know which threw me for a loop MORE.... :eek: :faint:

You're looking at the most expensive time period (along with Easter week) in the year. Not only are room rates up, but pretty much every buffet (and the dining plan, itself) charge premium prices during that time period.

If it's "go during that week or wait another year or 2 for a trip"....you wince, swallow, and book (or get prices to run by hubby). :)

.....I would love to, but now, ESPECIALLY with good ol' Gov Christie's changes with tenure and how he feels about teachers, I absolutely CANNOT take off. I should point out that we've been to WDW for the Christmas Holidays twice before, so we've seen the decorations (absolutely gorgeous, BTW!) and we already know about the crowds....that doesn't seem to bother him. Mebbe it's just me overreacting because I just know from past experience, he's done stuff like saying, "I'm not sure if I'm still going [to WDW]"....and sometimes it's literally THE DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE! His emotions make him WANT to go to WDW, but then his sensibilities take over and he's questioning how to justify the price of the trip.....

OK..odd question:

Could SOMEONE (your hubby, maybe?) go down on the 20th?

Book the package with free dining, have them check in on the 20th, and join them on the 21st?

I mean..to get the discount, you have to check in on the 20th. You just need someone to do that...it doesn't have to be YOU.

I know it's not ideal..just trying to think outside the box a bit.

I agree, its my understanding that if your arrival date falls into free dining then you get it for all the days. Also have no idea about NYC flights but we use AirTran and just last night got our flights back for $109 each! Also could you have him fly down a day early for free dining, stay in value the first night then resort hop to AKL? Hope it works out.....and the OP is correct its just money.....enjoy it!!!!

Remind your husband IF he starts to backpedal that the way to justify the expense is to remember, happy wife / happy life ; ) .

Kim, I'm going at the end of Oct. with my sisters. We got a great airfare from Laguardia to Orlando - JetBlue - $199 round trip which includes one checked bag. Keep checking their website every day for the days you want to fly, you never know when they will run a "special". have you checked on mouse savers and all ears for discount codes?

GO! Life turns on a dime!

Don't the room only discounts work like free dining? As long as you check in prior to the last valid date, it applies to your whole stay?

I was going to mention that earlier, but I was unsure how it worked with the Christmas holiday (peak pricing). I don't know if checking in on the last day of a promotion carries over the whole stay over Christmas.

....it used to be that way, but I don't think that applies any more....:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter